Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:14 PM   #1
mekkon
macrumors newbie

"Install Mac OS X Lion" versus "InstallESD.dmg"

I recently bought Lion, and am upgrading my machines. I have an iMac which isn't connected to the internet that I want to upgrade. (It is located in a camp where internet isn't available...)

I read all about how to do it after I purchased Lion on my macbook pro, by using the same install file. However, there seem to be two competing ideas out there. After downloading Lion, I saved the "Install Mac OS X Lion" app that is placed in the Applications folder. I also unpacked it and saved the InstallESD.dmg file seperately. I've burned both to DVD.

Which one should I use, and what are the differences or implications of using either? From what I've read:
  • Install Mac OS X Lion - This is the exact file downloaded from the App Store, and may or may not include personal information in the attached files.
  • InstallESD.dmg - This is the file packaged within the above. It is the actual installer, and is identical to what anyone who has installed Lion uses. It can be burned to a DVD to create a bootable copy, and (maybe?) for a fresh install on a blank drive.

From my research - and various threads here - it seems as though either of them can/should be copied to my iMac's Applications folder and run from there. But which is best, and why? Or can I update directly from the bootable InstallESD DVD? Thanks!
mekkon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:21 PM   #2
ufkdo
macrumors 6502

If you will upgrade, copying Install Mac OS X Lion.app to other computer and running it is the best solution.

If you will clean install, burning InstallESD.dmg to DVD or a USB stick is the best solution.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

Exclamation

You can use the bootable disk you made to do the install on your other machine.

Hugh
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Taz Mangus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekkon View Post
I recently bought Lion, and am upgrading my machines. I have an iMac which isn't connected to the internet that I want to upgrade. (It is located in a camp where internet isn't available...)

I read all about how to do it after I purchased Lion on my macbook pro, by using the same install file. However, there seem to be two competing ideas out there. After downloading Lion, I saved the "Install Mac OS X Lion" app that is placed in the Applications folder. I also unpacked it and saved the InstallESD.dmg file seperately. I've burned both to DVD.

Which one should I use, and what are the differences or implications of using either? From what I've read:
  • Install Mac OS X Lion - This is the exact file downloaded from the App Store, and may or may not include personal information in the attached files.
  • InstallESD.dmg - This is the file packaged within the above. It is the actual installer, and is identical to what anyone who has installed Lion uses. It can be burned to a DVD to create a bootable copy, and (maybe?) for a fresh install on a blank drive.

From my research - and various threads here - it seems as though either of them can/should be copied to my iMac's Applications folder and run from there. But which is best, and why? Or can I update directly from the bootable InstallESD DVD? Thanks!
The difference between the two is that after the "Install Mac OS X Lion" has completed it erases itself. Hence, you will loose the ability to do another Lion install unless you re-download it again.

I keep the "Install Mac OS X Lion" around on my Applications folder. I also made a bootable drive using InstallESD.dmg. I have three Mac computers so having the bootable Lion install drive makes it easy to install/re-install on all Mac computers.

I keep the "Install Mac OS X Lion" as another backup copy just in case I need InstallESD.dmg again.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:02 PM   #5
mekkon
macrumors newbie

So can the InstallESD.dmg be used to update a Snow Leopard machine to Lion, or can it only do a clean install? And can it be run from the disc, or must it be copied to the Applications folder like the "Install Mac Os X Lion" installer?
mekkon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:04 PM   #6
MrCheeto
macrumors 68030

I made a post about this exact topic. Read to learn how to use InstallESD.dmg.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion