Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 17, 2014, 03:58 PM   #1
heycal
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
oops… I made a mistake and clicked on a link to an ad

I got an email from a contact, a group email send to what appeared to be a bunch of people in her contacts, and there was a link. I stupidly clicked on it for some reason, even though I never would normally do so. It took me to a video of Dr. Oz talking about belly fat removal or something.

Below are the words that I clicked on. Can anyone tell me what this might mean, or there is anything I can do now to protect myself from any virus or other trouble stemming from me clicking on it?

h t t p :// g h o s t . e n a b l e d w a r e . c o m / p e a c e . p h p

Last edited by stridemat; Nov 20, 2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Neutered the link
heycal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2014, 04:00 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by heycal View Post
I got an email from a contact, a group email send to what appeared to be a bunch of people in her contacts, and there was a link. I stupidly clicked on it for some reason, even though I never would normally do so. It took me to a video of Dr. Oz talking about belly fat removal or something.

Below are the words that I clicked on. Can anyone tell me what this might mean, or there is anything I can do now to protect myself from any virus or other trouble stemming from me clicking on it?
It's just a redirect to an ad. It has nothing to do with malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Last edited by balamw; Nov 18, 2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: removed link from quote
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Yakibomb
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cape Town
Hmmm I don't think i'm going to click that link
Yakibomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2014, 04:13 PM   #4
heycal
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
It's just a redirect to an ad. It has nothing to do with malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
Thanks for the info. So no worries you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakibomb View Post
Hmmm I don't think i'm going to click that link
Ha! Good idea.
heycal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2014, 04:14 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by heycal View Post
Thanks for the info. So no worries you think?
I know for certain. No worries.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2014, 06:48 PM   #6
heycal
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Thank you.

But what is the point of the thing I was sent? What is the thinking behind whoever generated it, and who might that have been?
heycal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:55 PM   #7
skinny*k
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by heycal View Post
... what is the point of the thing I was sent? What is the thinking behind whoever generated it, and who might that have been?
The point was to send you SPAM. Your friend may have been hacked, or was maybe not careful, and the SPAMmer got hold of your email address. I have a friend who often CCs jokes to everyone in his contacts, and I finally had to block his emails. There are viruses that careless Windows users can get that let SPAMmers get their contact lists, too. Aside from being annoying, and bringing in more SPAM for a while, there’s no damage done. Talk with your friend to see if you can figure out what happened, and if he CCs people, tell him to stop, and use blind CC only. I have another friend who CCd an email from her new phone, so now I have the email addresses and phone numbers of all of her contacts… just carelessness.

As to the motive of the SPAMmers; they might be just trying to sell something—I never reward SPAMmers, it only encourages them. They might be trying to get more clicks on a site they own, to up their ad revenues; they might just be bored-to-death creeps having malicious fun; they might have some other reason, but whatever it is your well-being is not on their agenda.
skinny*k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:33 AM   #8
heycal
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny*k View Post
The point was to send you SPAM. Your friend may have been hacked, or was maybe not careful, and the SPAMmer got hold of your email address. I have a friend who often CCs jokes to everyone in his contacts, and I finally had to block his emails. There are viruses that careless Windows users can get that let SPAMmers get their contact lists, too. Aside from being annoying, and bringing in more SPAM for a while, there’s no damage done. Talk with your friend to see if you can figure out what happened, and if he CCs people, tell him to stop, and use blind CC only. I have another friend who CCd an email from her new phone, so now I have the email addresses and phone numbers of all of her contacts… just carelessness.

As to the motive of the SPAMmers; they might be just trying to sell something—I never reward SPAMmers, it only encourages them. They might be trying to get more clicks on a site they own, to up their ad revenues; they might just be bored-to-death creeps having malicious fun; they might have some other reason, but whatever it is your well-being is not on their agenda.
The "friend" in question was actually my daughter, who also uses a Mac, no not a Windows issue with her. She's also not the type to send out joke emails cc'd to a bunch of people.

I get plenty of these type of things from various contacts, and just assume they are malicious viruses or spam. I never click on them, but I guess seeing my daughter's name on the email right after I'd emailed her about something else lowered my guard.
heycal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:53 AM   #9
Boyd01
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Jersey Pine Barrens
Her e-mail address was probably in the contact list of someone else with a compromised computer (most likely a Windows user). Before I retired I used to see spam like this all the time that appeared to come from business contacts.

And the bad news that someone else is probably getting spam that looks like it's coming from you….
Boyd01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2014, 03:28 PM   #10
heycal
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd01 View Post

And the bad news that someone else is probably getting spam that looks like it's coming from you….
Wow. Maybe you're right. I don't think that ever occured to me before…

And you know what? I think my computer is acting just a little bit strange since I clicked on that link. Is there any easy way for a non-techie like me to check if the computer is running properly?

Last edited by heycal; Nov 19, 2014 at 03:56 PM.
heycal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:09 PM   #11
motrek
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by heycal View Post
Wow. Maybe you're right. I don't think that ever occured to me before…

And you know what? I think my computer is acting just a little bit strange since I clicked on that link. Is there any easy way for a non-techie like me to check if the computer is running properly?
No. Your computer is fine. You didn't break it by going to a web site.
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:22 PM   #12
heycal
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
No. Your computer is fine. You didn't break it by going to a web site.
i hope not. But some funny, odd coincidental hiccups in the last day...
heycal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:23 PM   #13
motrek
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by heycal View Post
i hope not. But some funny, odd coincidental hiccups in the last day...
If you have something specific in mind then let us know and we can tell you what might be causing the "hiccups" but without more information it sounds like you have a bad case of computer hypochondria.
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:44 PM   #14
heycal
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
If you have something specific in mind then let us know and we can tell you what might be causing the "hiccups" but without more information it sounds like you have a bad case of computer hypochondria.
Perhaps I do. If anything happens again, I will note it and report back.
heycal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I made a mistake with the sim.... Inhalant iPhone 10 Oct 27, 2014 05:48 PM
i made the mistake of downloading a new widget Roddyjb Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 14 Jun 10, 2014 10:58 AM
Think I made a huge mistake with Bootcamp JRD2 MacBook Pro 2 Mar 7, 2013 01:25 PM
Have I made a terrible mistake? joedemax MacBook 1 Nov 18, 2012 10:04 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC