Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14, 2015, 08:35 PM   #1
stevenngu
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Problems when using Safari 6.0.5

Hello, I have a 13" Mid 2013 MBA base model on OSX 10.8.5 that seems to be acting up every time i use safari (rainbow beach ball). It'll pop up every minute or so while i'm using safari and freezes if i play a game on Facebook. While typing this thread there's a slight delay where i'll type the words, but they wont appear until a second later. I have no extensions installed on safari. I've closed all my apps and only have 3 or 4 tabs open. The laptop isn't hot underneath, so it can't be a heat issue. Could the integrated GPU (HD 5000) be the issue in that it isn't powerful enough for heavy flash/shockwave website?
stevenngu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015, 03:49 AM   #2
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816
 
keysofanxiety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenngu View Post
Hello, I have a 13" Mid 2013 MBA base model on OSX 10.8.5 that seems to be acting up every time i use safari (rainbow beach ball). It'll pop up every minute or so while i'm using safari and freezes if i play a game on Facebook. While typing this thread there's a slight delay where i'll type the words, but they wont appear until a second later. I have no extensions installed on safari. I've closed all my apps and only have 3 or 4 tabs open. The laptop isn't hot underneath, so it can't be a heat issue. Could the integrated GPU (HD 5000) be the issue in that it isn't powerful enough for heavy flash/shockwave website?
Hi Steven, we can try run a few quick tests to identify that the issue isn't hardware or software related. At least that'll offer peace-of-mind and by troubleshooting what isn't wrong, it'll give us a better idea of what is wrong, so we know what to look for.

Please could you review the steps below and stop if either of these steps identify a problem?

1) Check SSD SMART Data. This will check for corruptions on the SSD. You can download and run SMART Utility here: http://cloudfront.volitans-software....utility314.zip If there's anything other than 'Passed' is displayed, the SSD is corrupted.

2) Verify your volume. To do this, open Disk Utility (search for it in Spotlight, or go to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility). Then single-click your volume (typically called Macintosh HD) to highlight it, and then click the 'Verify Disk' option along the right-hand side. If it comes up with red writing, we'll need to repair the disk.

3) Restart your MacBook Air, with the option 'Reopen windows when logging back in' disabled. This means that if there's a background software conflict or memory leak causing the problem, it won't come back up.

4) Check for software updates for your OS (Apple menu>Software Update on Mavericks or earlier, or Apple menu>App Store on Yosemite). There may be an update for Safari.

Please let me know (quote this so I'm notified) once you've had an opportunity to try the above troubleshooting steps. If no problems are detected or the steps don't fix the issue, we can try a few more things such as clearing the Safari cache. I'm sure other posters have some more ideas too.

Speak soon!
__________________
"And they all lived happily ever after ... except for Pocket, who died of Hepatitis B."
keysofanxiety is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015, 04:00 AM   #3
motrek
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenngu View Post
Hello, I have a 13" Mid 2013 MBA base model on OSX 10.8.5 that seems to be acting up every time i use safari (rainbow beach ball). It'll pop up every minute or so while i'm using safari and freezes if i play a game on Facebook. While typing this thread there's a slight delay where i'll type the words, but they wont appear until a second later. I have no extensions installed on safari. I've closed all my apps and only have 3 or 4 tabs open. The laptop isn't hot underneath, so it can't be a heat issue. Could the integrated GPU (HD 5000) be the issue in that it isn't powerful enough for heavy flash/shockwave website?
No, the problem can't be the GPU.

One of the tabs you have open might be interfering with the other tabs. (If so, I would argue that this is a design flaw with Safari, but I don't think anybody ever said Safari was perfect.) Process of elimination to see which one it is...

You could also see if you have the same problem with using Chrome.
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015, 09:59 AM   #4
DesignerOnMac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenngu View Post
Hello, I have a 13" Mid 2013 MBA base model on OSX 10.8.5 that seems to be acting up every time i use safari (rainbow beach ball). It'll pop up every minute or so while i'm using safari and freezes if i play a game on Facebook. While typing this thread there's a slight delay where i'll type the words, but they wont appear until a second later. I have no extensions installed on safari. I've closed all my apps and only have 3 or 4 tabs open. The laptop isn't hot underneath, so it can't be a heat issue. Could the integrated GPU (HD 5000) be the issue in that it isn't powerful enough for heavy flash/shockwave website?
I had similar issues, but not the beach ball. I ended up calling Apple Tech support. After an hour with them, and after many tests, I was told it was my WiFi modem. Come to find out it day dying! I replaced the modem and was back in business.

You might want to try Chrome or other browser instead of Safari!
DesignerOnMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015, 11:32 AM   #5
redheeler
macrumors 68020
 
redheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: 🇺🇸
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenngu View Post
Hello, I have a 13" Mid 2013 MBA base model on OSX 10.8.5 that seems to be acting up every time i use safari (rainbow beach ball). It'll pop up every minute or so while i'm using safari and freezes if i play a game on Facebook. While typing this thread there's a slight delay where i'll type the words, but they wont appear until a second later. I have no extensions installed on safari. I've closed all my apps and only have 3 or 4 tabs open. The laptop isn't hot underneath, so it can't be a heat issue. Could the integrated GPU (HD 5000) be the issue in that it isn't powerful enough for heavy flash/shockwave website?
Start by updating your OS to Mavericks or Yosemite, both of which also come with a newer version of Safari and can handle the 4 GB RAM in your MacBook Air a little better. Afterward, if you're still experiencing slowdown follow the steps explained in keysofanxiety's post above to determine if you have have a hardware problem.

Edit: I also suggest you uninstall Flash from Safari and use Chrome for any Flash-based games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerOnMac View Post
I had similar issues, but not the beach ball. I ended up calling Apple Tech support. After an hour with them, and after many tests, I was told it was my WiFi modem. Come to find out it day dying! I replaced the modem and was back in business.

You might want to try Chrome or other browser instead of Safari!
A dying modem or slow internet connection would not cause beachballs or a delay when entering text after the page has loaded.
__________________
27" Retina iMac 4.0 GHz Quad i7, M295X 4 GB GDDR5, 512 GB SSD, 24 GB RAM; 13" 2013 rMBP 2.4/256/8; 2012 Mac mini 2.5, 6 GB
15" iMac G3 400 (PPC #23); 13" 2008 MBA 1.6/9400M, SSD; 32 GB iPhone 5s

Last edited by redheeler; May 15, 2015 at 11:42 AM.
redheeler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015, 01:55 PM   #6
stevenngu
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
I just tried using chrome and although there is a slight lag i am no longer getting the beach ball anymore, so it appears that safari is the issue. There are Wi-fi issues with it not working after sleeping issues with mavericks and i want to avoid Yosemite so upgrading is not an option for me. I can deal with a slight lag/delay, but the beach ball and safari freezing was driving me crazy. Thank you everyone for your help.
stevenngu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015, 02:04 PM   #7
chrfr
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenngu View Post
I just tried using chrome and although there is a slight lag i am no longer getting the beach ball anymore, so it appears that safari is the issue. There are Wi-fi issues with it not working after sleeping issues with mavericks and i want to avoid Yosemite so upgrading is not an option for me. I can deal with a slight lag/delay, but the beach ball and safari freezing was driving me crazy. Thank you everyone for your help.
Be aware that, at least compared to Safari in 10.9.5 and 10.10.x, that using Chrome carries a significant battery penalty. In some instances, Chrome shortens battery life by several hours over Safari.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015, 02:20 PM   #8
Boyd01
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Jersey Pine Barrens
Is there a reason why you are still running Safari 6.0.5? I have a 2013 MBA with MacOSX 10.8.5 and am running Safari 6.2 with no issues. Sounds like you probably visit very different kinds of websites than I do however.
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015, 02:47 PM   #9
chrfr
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd01 View Post
Is there a reason why you are still running Safari 6.0.5? I have a 2013 MBA with MacOSX 10.8.5 and am running Safari 6.2 with no issues. Sounds like you probably visit very different kinds of websites than I do however.
This is a good point. The current Safari for 10.8.5 is 6.2.6.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenngu View Post
I just tried using chrome and although there is a slight lag i am no longer getting the beach ball anymore, so it appears that safari is the issue.
Is there a reason you haven't updated to Safari 6.2.6?
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015, 04:03 PM   #10
Boyd01
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Jersey Pine Barrens
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
Is there a reason you haven't updated to Safari 6.2.6?
No
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015, 04:05 PM   #11
chrfr
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd01 View Post
No
That was directed to the OP.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015, 03:09 PM   #12
motrek
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
Be aware that, at least compared to Safari in 10.9.5 and 10.10.x, that using Chrome carries a significant battery penalty. In some instances, Chrome shortens battery life by several hours over Safari.
If you're vigilant about closing tabs or extensions that are using excessive CPU power, then I think Chrome uses similar power vs. Safari.

If you use Chrome it's probably worth it to download an extension that blocks Flash elements (until you click on them).
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015, 03:37 PM   #13
chrfr
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
If you're vigilant about closing tabs or extensions that are using excessive CPU power, then I think Chrome uses similar power vs. Safari.

If you use Chrome it's probably worth it to download an extension that blocks Flash elements (until you click on them).
Presumably Safari would offer similar savings if similar practices were followed. The article didn't make any mention of plugins or extensions.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/10/83...k-battery-life
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015, 03:52 PM   #14
motrek
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
Presumably Safari would offer similar savings if similar practices were followed. The article didn't make any mention of plugins or extensions.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/10/83...k-battery-life
I don't know why you would assume that.

I use Chrome. I just checked and with my usual 7-8 tabs open, it's only using 3 to 4 percent of one CPU core.

Can't get much better than that.

I assume that when Safari does a lot better than Chrome in terms of battery life, it's because the user is looking at pages with poorly-coded Flash content, because Chrome comes with a version of Flash built-in and Safari does not.
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015, 04:15 PM   #15
chrfr
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
I assume that when Safari does a lot better than Chrome in terms of battery life, it's because the user is looking at pages with poorly-coded Flash content, because Chrome comes with a version of Flash built-in and Safari does not.
To quote you: I don't know why you would assume that.
It's well documented and widely known that Chrome offers significantly worse battery life than Safari.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015, 04:30 PM   #16
motrek
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
To quote you: I don't know why you would assume that.
It's well documented and widely known that Chrome offers significantly worse battery life than Safari.
That's not true in all cases. You're oversimplifying the issue if you think Safari does better than Chrome in all cases. The more interesting and relevant question is, WHY does Safari use less power in some cases, and can something be done to make Chrome competitive in those cases?
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2015, MacRumors.com, LLC