Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old May 28, 2012, 12:21 AM   #251
mfuchs88
macrumors 6502

I feel like some of those Incase slims people have posted are way overpriced for what's essentially a less protective sleeve. I'd rather take the extra 1/4 inch and give my computer just that much more protection than take the slimness of the case. But to each their own and if it does that job for you, then great, I just personally wouldn't feel safe. Great thread though.

It's like dropping a baby. It'll seem fine but get demented as time progresses. - Alienworkshoper
mfuchs88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 09:09 PM   #252
No-Me
macrumors 6502

I think the thin hardshell cases that you leave on your laptop are just an insult to apples design department.

Yeah if you are not careful with your laptop it will get some scratches on the bottom, but with those it still looks 1000x better than an ugly speck case :-) It's a device built to be used, it's designed to be able to handle a lot.

Just my 2 cents, and my reason to always go for a high quality (leather) sleeve.
No-Me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 11:24 PM   #253
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Me View Post
I think the thin hardshell cases that you leave on your laptop are just an insult to apples design department.

Yeah if you are not careful with your laptop it will get some scratches on the bottom, but with those it still looks 1000x better than an ugly speck case :-) It's a device built to be used, it's designed to be able to handle a lot.

Just my 2 cents, and my reason to always go for a high quality (leather) sleeve.
I use a clear rubber shell case for my MBAir 13 not because its an insult to apple's design or because its expensive (I bought one from eBay for $20) but because It prevents dings/scratches or any other physical damage to my MBAir as I(like many) have spent hard earned money on it therefore I like to maintain it looking new or almost new as possible even after a year or two or even three. Also another reason I use it is because I truly believe putting any laptop in a dedicated sleeve time after time is just a waste of time....having a Rubber clear shell not only shows off the macbook air's original look, it provides protection and no extra work when you need to get up and go (yes you or anyone else reading my reply may be so good at slapping on the sleeve by now that it only takes you/them/ few seconds but thats not my point)

ps not pointing at you or saying your wrong jus my 2 cents
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 11:38 PM   #254
No-Me
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
but because It prevents dings/scratches or any other physical damage to my MBAir as I(like many) have spent hard earned money on it therefore I like to maintain it looking new or almost new as possible even after a year or two or even three.
I've had my 11" MacBook Air since it was introduced (september 2010), take it all of the time. I only use a sleeve and there are no scratches at all, I just don't understand what all the fuzz is about :-)
No-Me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 12:59 AM   #255
aeboi
macrumors 65816

The Joli sleeves are super nice but at $94 a piece I'd have to sell my organs.
aeboi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 11:11 AM   #256
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Me View Post
I've had my 11" MacBook Air since it was introduced (september 2010), take it all of the time. I only use a sleeve and there are no scratches at all, I just don't understand what all the fuzz is about :-)
Ya I am super careful but hav managed to "ding" once in a while for the past year I've had my macbook pro but thanks to the plastic covering it took that minimal damage and when i sold my macbook pro couple weeks ago then lady was amazed lol. I also use keyboard cover so the keys stayed brand new with no oily prints/glossiness. I'm sure I can keep my macbook air clean and new without the plastic but It just gives me piece of mind that its safe.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:20 AM   #257
thewoz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
The MBA Bookbook by twelvesouth:
All fitting into a medium Waterfield Cargo bag:
Ridonculous. A 2lbs air mixed with 50lbs of crap.
thewoz is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 12:33 PM   #258
glen e
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewoz View Post
Ridonculous. A 2lbs air mixed with 50lbs of crap.

Not when you are going cross country, in 12 hotels and 10 plane flights

Grow up....is'nt it time for recess or band practice?
glen e is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:41 AM   #259
mrogersscf
macrumors member

Arrow

11 pages worth of thread is a bit to trudge through...

I am looking for a bag for a MacBook Air 13'' and an iPad. I don't want to buy a sleeve for either item - so there should be some internal protection. I'd also like for the bag to be fairly light and inexpensive.

SFBags rep suggests this bag:
http://www.sfbags.com/products/macbo...air-wallet.php

...but I am not sure if this could safely hold a MacBook Air 13'', iPad, and a few accessories (power brick and magic trackpad). Also, while not cost prohibitive - it does seem a bit pricey once you include the strap and shipping.

Anyone have any suggestions?
mrogersscf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:16 PM   #260
chelidon
macrumors newbie

I am a big fan of the Shaun Jackson Design Lapdog (with Doggie Bag combo for longer trips) as an atypical bag with a great design and good build quality that fits and protects the MBA, along with accessories, an iPad, etc. Best part is that some sources (Amazon, Buy.com) have them (closeout, presumably) for under $15...buy of the year, seriously. I bought an extra, just to have a spare whenever the first one wears out. Google "shaun jackson lapdog" to find them while you can.
chelidon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:23 PM   #261
jgc
macrumors regular

I'm looking for a cheap ($20-$30, more if necessary) sleeve for my MBA 13". Would prefer if it was made specifically for the MBA so it would fit tighter but not absolutely necessary. An extra pocket for cables/power adapter would be a bonus but not absolutely necessary either. Online preferably (or a Canadian store).

Cheers if anyone can help. Obviously I can just go the easy neoprene route for generic 13" but I figured I'd see if anyone could help first.
jgc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:10 PM   #262
Spoonz
macrumors member

Soon to be the owner of a MBA 13", but I've also got an ASUS tablet that I like to carry around - just a little bit bigger than the iPad. Anyone got any recommendations for a sleeve/small bag that can accommodate both at once? I've tried looking through this thread but there's just so much! I'm a student by the way, so nothing massively expensive :3
Spoonz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:05 PM   #263
jgc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonz View Post
Soon to be the owner of a MBA 13", but I've also got an ASUS tablet that I like to carry around - just a little bit bigger than the iPad. Anyone got any recommendations for a sleeve/small bag that can accommodate both at once? I've tried looking through this thread but there's just so much! I'm a student by the way, so nothing massively expensive :3
The Moshi Muse is a 13" laptop sleeve with a front pouch. I've read online that it can hold an iPad in the front pouch so if your device is similar, it might fit as well. I'd recommend you do a little more research on whether they'll both fit rather than taking my word for it but you should be in luck.
jgc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:07 PM   #264
jsolares
macrumors 6502a

I have a sleeve from saddleback quite good, the only con is the added weight, 0.70 lbs of nice leather.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:00 PM   #265
backwardsrain
macrumors newbie

I just ordered a 13" Air and I'm looking for a sleeve or case. I love the look of the Joli Originals sleeve, but I'm wondering how difficult it is to put on and take off? It looks skintight on the air and if it takes 5 minutes to put the darn thing on it won't do me any good.
backwardsrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:48 PM   #266
semicolon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
I use a clear rubber shell case for my MBAir 13 not because its an insult to apple's design or because its expensive (I bought one from eBay for $20) but because It prevents dings/scratches or any other physical damage to my MBAir as I(like many) have spent hard earned money on it therefore I like to maintain it looking new or almost new as possible even after a year or two or even three. Also another reason I use it is because I truly believe putting any laptop in a dedicated sleeve time after time is just a waste of time....having a Rubber clear shell not only shows off the macbook air's original look, it provides protection and no extra work when you need to get up and go (yes you or anyone else reading my reply may be so good at slapping on the sleeve by now that it only takes you/them/ few seconds but thats not my point)

ps not pointing at you or saying your wrong jus my 2 cents
What is the brand of what you're using? That's exactly what I want!
semicolon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:52 PM   #267
palpatine
macrumors 68040

The iPearl clear case is inexpensive, fits like a glove, adds very little weight, and even has feet for tilting the keyboard.

The Waterfield Vertigo bag (small) is just big enough to hold the 11" MBA, so I would say it is the most compact bag available for carrying it. The bag also holds my iPad, the external keyboard / incase origami workstation, and the MBA charger. That is all I need to go just about anywhere in the world!
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:27 PM   #268
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by semicolon View Post
What is the brand of what you're using? That's exactly what I want!
no brand, its just from ebay...china...just ebay search: Rubber Macbook case. costs about $24
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:59 PM   #269
6-0 Prolene
macrumors 6502

I ordered a Booq Taipan Shadow S for my 13" MBA...

http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-backp...essenger-bag_2
6-0 Prolene is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:07 AM   #270
Badandy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
Not when you are going cross country, in 12 hotels and 10 plane flights

Grow up....is'nt it time for recess or band practice?
So the guy calling someone a schoolchild on an internet forum is telling other people to grow up? Oh, ok.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:36 AM   #271
Sith Vol
macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a sleeve that is thin but also provides a sort of side pocket that I can stick a folder in and/or computer paper. I'd love to be able to just carry that to class and have both conveniently placed in one sleeve. I've found some by PDair on Amazon but they appear to only be for the 2010 11in Airs. I have a 2011 13in.

Any one that can recommend to me a good sleeve for me would be greatly appreciated!
Sith Vol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:22 AM   #272
seattle29
macrumors member

Does anyone have experience of this one? Is it sturdy enough?

Link
seattle29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:26 AM   #273
eidsvold
macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a sleeve, kinda like Vaja (http://vajacases.com/macbook-air-13-...er-sleeve.html) or Joli (http://jolioriginals.com/products/mba) - but cheaper. It doesn't have to be real leather, does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:37 AM   #274
Skoopman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidsvold View Post
I'm looking for a sleeve, kinda like Vaja (http://vajacases.com/macbook-air-13-...er-sleeve.html) or Joli (http://jolioriginals.com/products/mba) - but cheaper. It doesn't have to be real leather, does anyone have any suggestions?
Maybe the Manilla Mac? I want on of these, but they don't ship to Romania Does anybody have that Manila Mac for the 13" MacBook Air and can tell us a bit about the quality?

I might get this one, looks nice to me.
Skoopman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:50 AM   #275
Anlino
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidsvold View Post
Wow, that Joli sleeve looks fantastic. Not too expensive either.

Don't have any tips for similar, cheaper sleeves unfortunately, but a nice, sturdy sleeve for 400 DKK doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Last edited by Anlino; Jun 16, 2012 at 07:57 AM.
Anlino is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Tags
bag, case, handbags, macbook air, purse, sleeve