Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:42 PM   #26
rocoloco
macrumors member

Hello,

I'm new to the Apple world. I recently got the MBA and the only thing I can say: Where have u been all my life Apple?

I'm looking for a sleeve now, to protect her =)

I can't decide between

- Samsonite http://www.samsonite.co.uk/aramon2-l...product-en.htm

- Huzzk rubber sleeve http://www.huzzk.com/huzzk_sleevie_GT_13.asp

and
- LA robe Air http://www.be-ez.com/la-robe-air-black-addict.html

I like the practicality of the first two, but also the protection LA robe is offering.

What do you think?

Rok

Last edited by rocoloco; Aug 30, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
rocoloco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:19 PM   #27
kanate
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrumorsuser10 View Post
I love Jack Spade bags. Is that a waxwear bag? What's the exact model?
It's "Drill Nylon Computer Field Bag". I cannot find it anywhere now. It has leather grab handle in the back. Got it about $400. a bit larger than their normal Computer Field Bag. The Drill Nylon is much nicer than their normal nylon canvas too, hence the higher price.
kanate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:21 PM   #28
simply stunning
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclook View Post
I like your taste even though I can't afford that stuff yet. I like the second one that has a separate compartment for clothes and your electronics. I often travel and end up putting some spare clothes, laptop, and iPad in the same compartment and it gets messy and too tight for comfort and easy access.

It seriously perplexes me how many people buy the BookBook case. It's so tacky and not tasteful imo. It seems to be popular among Macrumors members so sorry for hating but it blows my mind when I see Apple accessories that are that tacky.

I hear you. Although, I'm not sure that I think it is tacky. I don't really like seeing it used as a cover (using the laptop in the sleeve) as I like seeing it as a sleeve. To be honest, I really like the leather sleeve by Hard Graft for the macbook air, but not sure that I want to spend that much on a sleeve. (like $200ish) I have also looked at the Vaja case, but it is about that much too.

So I will update here once I decide on what to get, and for the time being, I will not worry about it.

BTW what sleeve do you use?
simply stunning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:48 AM   #29
sexytabitha
Banned

What do you think about these? Shame the 13" version is a month away. 11" will be availible next week.
www.chinao-usa.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2417.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	301034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2410.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	301035   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2431.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	301036  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2433.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	301037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2430.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	301038  
sexytabitha is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:13 AM   #30
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
I like your taste even though I can't afford that stuff yet. I like the second one that has a separate compartment for clothes and your electronics. I often travel and end up putting some spare clothes, laptop, and iPad in the same compartment and it gets messy and too tight for comfort and easy access.

It seriously perplexes me how many people buy the BookBook case. It's so tacky and not tasteful imo. It seems to be popular among Macrumors members so sorry for hating but it blows my mind when I see Apple accessories that are that tacky.

Agreed. Simply Stunning has good taste! That backpack looks amazing. The folding bag is interesting. Not really something I'd buy, but I do appreciate its design anyway!

Its folding top reminds me of Crumpler's Pinnacle of Horrors, but fancier. I realize they're not really the same at all (you can't use the Crumpler when it's unfolded), but it's weird that I've seen 2 bags with that style recently. I really like the Crumpler. It's beautiful in person. Not sure how that backpack would look in person (it certainly doesn't look good in the video), but it sure looks good in photos!

Not sure about the BookBook either.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:08 AM   #31
iApple Mania
macrumors member

I love Mac Case.

http://www.pbcentral.com/columns/hil...moore/fj.shtml
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:01 PM   #32
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iApple Mania View Post
Rich in form, poor in functionality.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:42 PM   #33
Dowjohnny
macrumors 6502

Thumbs down nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract View Post
Agreed. Simply Stunning has good taste! That backpack looks amazing.
Sorry, but that backpack just looks gay. (maybe because of that male model lol)

The bookbook isn't tacky, it is just getting a bit too popular and common, still i like it.

Well, everybody has his own taste ^^
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:17 PM   #34
optmi
macrumors member

My Untype Sleeve

I keep saying I'm going to review my felt sleeve but I never seem to have time...stuck between catching up on Mad Men episodes on netflix, work and bar outings....so here goes:

I have the Charcoal Merino Wool Felt Case with Leather Strap from Untype.com and its the one that I recommend to people with MBA's or iPads. When I'm travelling for work, I get asked all the time about it. If you want the cheaper version, there's one without a leather strap. Both look very stylish but I think the leather goes well.

The protection is pretty good in that the felt has protected my MBA while in my messenger bag with all my other crap in there (pens, iphone etc). I swing around that bag quite a bit and its taken serious punishment in the plane overhead bins when I fly.

As for the aesthetic, it goes perfectly with the MBA and keeps the weight off the whole package when you travel. I HATE travelling heavy and that's why I jumped on the MBA, so I needed something that was going to protect but not weight a lot.

The cool thing is that it's hand-made. I would go with either the White, grey or charcoal versions if you do get one. I prefer charcoal but that's just me.

They still have that promotion going on their website which brings the cost down significantly. The code is: "Summer11". Here's the promo code link.

Here's a pic of the one I got from their website:

Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:54 PM   #35
trevorgehman
macrumors newbie

I bought an Incase 11" Slim Sleeve for my Macbook Air 11", and I must say I'm not impressed. The fit is definitely not snug.. I think since the Macbook Air 11" is pointed, there is a gap on one end of the sleeve, and just a lot of room for it to move around... the fit just isn't snug, and I hate it.

http://www.goincase.com/products/det...sleeve-cl57918

I absolutely loved the Incase sleeve for my 13" Macbook Pro, because it fit very snuggly and provided the basic protection I'm looking for.

What sleeve would you guys recommend? I want it to fit snuggly, but also be easy to get in and out... I didn't want to get the Incase sleeve (with the flap instead of the zipper) because I heard it was tough to get the Air in and out.

I'm looking at these, but have the same concern about the fit:

http://www.brenthaven.com/mac-catalo...rcoal-0#viewer

http://www.hardcandycases.com/bubble...ProductReviews

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4...M&s=topSellers
trevorgehman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:59 PM   #36
Damian.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexytabitha View Post
What do you think about these? Shame the 13" version is a month away. 11" will be availible next week.
www.chinao-usa.com
Wow that looks really nice. Can't wait for the 13" version.
Do they ship overseas?

[edit] Does anyone know if there are similar cases in case they don't ship overseas?

[edit 2] Nevermind. I emailed them and got a reply. They do ship overseas.

Last edited by Damian.; Aug 31, 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Damian. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:25 PM   #37
Built
macrumors 68020

Quote:

I'm with you. I never really understood the draw of the BookBook case. I think it looks awful and certainly not in keeping with modern technology, but that's just me.

To each his own...So happy we do have choices.
Built is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:00 AM   #38
iApple Mania
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
Rich in form, poor in functionality.
It depends on how you use it and what you put in it.
It's for MacBook Air which is easily and comfortable carrying.

Yet, I haven't talked about the CTO case from HERMES.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:17 AM   #39
sexytabitha
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Damian View Post
Do they ship overseas?

[edit] Does anyone know if there are similar cases in case they don't ship overseas?

yeah I'm waiting on the 13" too hopefully they will have it soon. I buy all my case there, great customer service, great prices and very fast shipping. I have the 13" Waterfield Muzetto but want something thin lightweight that i can carry by its self or toss in the bag when i travel.
sexytabitha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 02:11 PM   #40
icchy
macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
Has anyone seen anything else like this one? I'm looking for a messenger bag that matches the slimness and form of the macbook air. Maybe something with 2-3inch Dimensions. Instead of the standard 15Lx11Wx4D on most messengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemary1 View Post
I got the Brenthaven ProStyle sleeve and have been really happy with it.

http://www.brenthaven.com/mac-catalo...-11-charcoal-0

I saw these bags mentioned in another thread, but I couldn't tell if anyone had ended up buying one - Does anyone have one?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61158315...book-air-black

I think I'm pretty set on getting one (once I can save up the $$ again), but I'm more undecided between the 11" and 13" (I have the 11" Air). I wanna keep my gear minimal, so I dunno if the 13" would feel too big. Eventually I'll want to carry the MBA with an iPad and other stuff.
icchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 03:14 PM   #41
catbug
macrumors newbie

Mine lives in a Crumpler Fruity Lexia and that gets put into a messenger bag.

I also ordered the InCase sleeve. Red and gray are on sale for $29.95 w/free ship here: http://www.goincase.com/products/det...sleeve-cl57405
catbug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 04:18 PM   #42
sexytabitha
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Damian View Post
Do they ship overseas?

Got a email from the seller this morning stating that the 13" sleeves will be in stock around the 15th
sexytabitha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:15 PM   #43
ts3
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourfastt View Post
This:
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachme...1&d=1314732116

The leather bags are absolutely gorgeous. I tried to google but w/out success. Would you mind sharing where you got them?
ts3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:18 PM   #44
bill-p
macrumors 65816

Rothco M-51 Engineers Field Messenger Bag

Well, this just arrived.

So, first impression... it's a big bag. But since I'm a big boy (6'1" height), I don't feel like it's that big. It actually fits my body more than the smaller ones and it feels less like a manpurse that way. I think it's a good fit for me.

The body of the bag is very solid, and definitely sturdy.

The strap... seems thin and very light. Kind of flimsy. I tried to pull and did some practice swings with some weights in there (around 10 pounds), and it seems okay so far. But there is something about that thin connector that I don't quite like. Guess I'm in the market for some sturdier strap in the long run.

In terms of real estate, we are looking at a bag that's... big enough to hold more than 3 laptops altogether. I'm able to fit both my 13" MBA and my 13" MBP in with relative ease... plus a netbook, and still have plenty of room left for other stuffs.

Of course I wouldn't travel with all of those at once, but still with some good mass inside, and I'm fairly hopeful that this bag will hold up. If anything, at least it's good looking, and it packs a hell of a lot of room for something so... "compact".

Up next, photos:

Size compared to 13" MBA. The bag is actually just slightly bigger than the MBA. Oh, and I didn't mention, but it has a bottle compartment as well.

Whoopsie... nope, my camera won't be able to go in there. iPhone 4 it is...

Room!

In case you still haven't figured out what that black thing is, it's the Speck case.

Anyway, pouches in the back:

And the flap... which the 13" MBA can fit in with relative ease.

So... for $40 (with 2-day shipping, it's something like $50), I am feeling that it's a good buy. It's hard to tell at this point, so I'll revisit this mini-review once I've had at least a few weeks in. But the space is something I'm appreciating very much. It still has a lot of other compartments, which I'll take photos of in the revisit once I've figured out what I'm going to use them for.

Edit: forgot to mention, but it's a messenger-style bag despite the big size. It's not a backpack, and I'm actually kind of thankful for that since the back side can be utilized for more storage.

Last edited by bill-p; Sep 1, 2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: edit title
bill-p is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:29 PM   #45
jmoore5196
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonsteve4ajob View Post
Curious...why do you think your ACME case bled color onto your Wrapsol film. I have the 13" ACME (no film on Air), no stains. I would think if the sleeves were that prone to bleeding I might also see some residual coloration on my case.

Just wondering incase I need to watch out for possible stains.
I think the problem lies with the films rather than the Acme case ... I don't imagine you'll experience a problem with the "unwrapped" MBA in the Acme sleeve.

I had the same thing happen to an iPad in a Dodo case ... the film on the back turned bright blue. I found this odd since the interior case color was green.

I have no idea why certain films are susceptible to discoloration inside certain cases. I've reapplied the Wrapsol to my MBA Ultimate and intend to just keep the MBA inside my messenger bag without a case or sleeve. That's a choice I might regret, but I probably won't have to worry about discoloration again.
jmoore5196 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:39 PM   #46
facke02
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachme...1&d=1314732116

The leather bags are absolutely gorgeous. I tried to google but w/out success. Would you mind sharing where you got them?
Very nice bag... Here is the link.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php
facke02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 07:52 PM   #47
iamBrian
macrumors newbie

I have a bag that I carry stuff in but still wanted a sleeve for my 13 so I could have it be protected in the bag.

I went with the cheap option, electing for this belkin vertical sleeve:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014I4FPS

Gets the job done
Old Sep 3, 2011, 06:19 AM   #48
Damian.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by icchy View Post
Hey guys,
Has anyone seen anything else like this one? I'm looking for a messenger bag that matches the slimness and form of the macbook air. Maybe something with 2-3inch Dimensions. Instead of the standard 15Lx11Wx4D on most messengers.
The Acme Made 13" Clutch:

Link: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4...Y&s=topSellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexytabitha View Post
Got a email from the seller this morning stating that the 13" sleeves will be in stock around the 15th
Thanks. I got the same mail.
Damian. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2011, 01:55 PM   #49
ts3
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by facke02 View Post
Very nice bag... Here is the link.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php
Thanks for the link. Lovely bags & good choice of colour combinations. They're sold out so I don't have to agonise whether to splurge right now.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 02:20 PM   #50
onthecouchagain
Banned

Muzetto bags are nice, but they are expensive. I personally can't justify it =T

Last edited by balamw; Sep 5, 2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Removed offensive qualifier
onthecouchagain is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Tags
bag, case, handbags, macbook air, purse, sleeve