With my 11" Air in this

Traveling light, I just carry the Air in the BookBook case
Jamie37211 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:14 PM   #127
dpgfunk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
Where did you pick up the the skin for $23 shipped? Their website has it for $27.99 + $2 shipping.
The labor day sale was 15% off + free shipping.
dpgfunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:25 PM   #128
nrweaver
macrumors member

Just order an untype in granite gary for my 11.6 air. I am glad to hear everyone likes them so much.

Where did you find the story about the maker of them. I would be interested in reading that.

I always end up spending a ton of money on bags and cases every time i get a new product. oh well this untype thing looks pretty cool.
iPad Mini 32GB, Verizon+Wifi;
nrweaver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:46 PM   #129
Oppressed
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie37211 View Post
Here's my daily use setup:

Col. Littleton No. 42 Courier

I appreciate high end products, but that case is almost as much as the Macbook Air itself.
Oppressed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:37 PM   #130
iTouch
macrumors 6502

I bought a Booq Viper and it's really nice. I could probably put an iPad 2 in there as well along with some cables and other accessories.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:20 PM   #131
Jamie37211
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppressed View Post
I appreciate high end products, but that case is almost as much as the Macbook Air itself.
Sure it is. But, 10% off at Griffin helped. And it was an early birthday present from my wife. It's a fantastic bag, and frankly I've had enough of buying lesser bags to have them fall apart after a year or less. This bag will (fingers crossed) be with me for a long time.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:38 AM   #132
dpgfunk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie37211 View Post
Sure it is. But, 10% off at Griffin helped. And it was an early birthday present from my wife. It's a fantastic bag, and frankly I've had enough of buying lesser bags to have them fall apart after a year or less. This bag will (fingers crossed) be with me for a long time.
I appreciate high end products but that "bag" looks like a purse.
dpgfunk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:04 AM   #133
Jamie37211
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgfunk View Post
I appreciate high end products but that "bag" looks like a purse.
Heh. Well, your opinion is noted, but ignored. I posted in a bags and sleeves thread the bag and sleeve (well, case I guess) that I use. Not looking for validation.

Again, I freaking love the thing - it is huge, heavy and sturdy. Everyone that's seen it says the same thing: it looks like something that a old-school cavalry officer or old west mail carrier would have carried, which was the exact intent of the creator.

So, hate on it all you want, but this is the best courier/laptop bag I have ever owned. I'm quite happy with it. Not telling you to buy it - go with what you like.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:46 AM   #134
JockerBoy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowjohnny View Post
I'm using this sleeve from "Freiwild", a german manufacturer. It's very nice, top quality, reasonably priced, i really love it! Fits my MBA perfectly and comes in different colors!

Material is wool, quite similar to some sleeves already shown in this thread

I put it in whatever bag i am using that day, good protection! First i feared contamination with some of the wool but after a couple of days using it there is nothing like that at all!

pictures taken from http://www.apple-weblog.de

Bought it here:

http://www.freiwildshop.com

PS: Iphone and iPod products also in stock!
I will be a new owner of a MBA 13'' and i love that sleeve.

Can you tell me if the corners of the sleeve where it is open if the MBA ia well protected?
In the case of fall and hit with that corner on the ground i believe that it isen't 100% efective, but i'm asking something minor, like hitting with that corner in the table.
Does the sleeve protect?
JockerBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:27 PM   #135
nood1es
macrumors member

Nood1es

Can anyone point me to something similar like this but without that price..?

http://www.acmemade.com/product/The-...-MBA,51,24.htm

Thanks!
nood1es is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:11 PM   #136
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816

Its kind of a neat gimmick at first until you realize how bulky and heavy it is. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built View Post
I'm with you. I never really understood the draw of the BookBook case. I think it looks awful and certainly not in keeping with modern technology, but that's just me.

----------

I don't know about similar but its a sleeve for $10. i ordered one and it has decent reviews so we will see if its any good.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1233039

Quote:
Originally Posted by nood1es View Post
Can anyone point me to something similar like this but without that price..?

http://www.acmemade.com/product/The-...-MBA,51,24.htm

Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:52 PM   #137
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

It's all about backpacks now, I'm glad....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/15/fa...Nf3wFhePkrks4w
Old Sep 23, 2011, 08:07 AM   #138
Devil Dog 21
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
I'm still looking for sleeve options, but I'm ordering my Oakley Kitchen Sink Backpack this weekend. Great for day trips for work just need to find a good sleeve that is both business and casual. Haven't found one yet, but since I came across this thread hopefully I can find something I like.
Devil Dog 21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:30 PM   #139
rosemary1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog 21 View Post
I'm still looking for sleeve options, but I'm ordering my Oakley Kitchen Sink Backpack this weekend. Great for day trips for work just need to find a good sleeve that is both business and casual. Haven't found one yet, but since I came across this thread hopefully I can find something I like.
I know it's been mentioned around here a few times, but I'm really happy with the Brenthaven sleeve. It would definitely qualify as both professional and casual. One benefit I didn't anticipate is that because of the placement of the zipper, you can easily charge the MBA while it's in the sleeve.
rosemary1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:42 PM   #140
Funkymonk
macrumors 6502a

jesus christ it is so difficult finding a decent plain black sleeve that would protect the air and cost less than $20. why are these so expensive?
Funkymonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:03 AM   #141
Northwestern
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
Just picked up this Timbuk2 bag. I've always been a fan of their stuff.

This bag is called the Quickie Netbook Case and got it from Best Buy for $50. It fits the 13" Air pretty well and has pockets in the front that will even fit the power brick. The inside has interesting "bubbles" that are soft (filled with air or maybe really soft foam). It's also got handles, which are tucked away in the pics, and a removable shoulder strap.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.
I ordered the Timbuk2 Quickie

Last edited by Northwestern; Sep 24, 2011 at 02:54 AM.
Northwestern is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:03 AM   #142
r.kirkerrr
macrumors member

I was lucky enough to pick up a knomo leather messenger bag at my local tk maxx for only 17 of the queens finest coins. I'm pretty sure it was the wrong tag on it as I saw another for 50. Absolutely bargain, that plus my bookbook will do just nicely
r.kirkerrr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:38 PM   #143
steem21
macrumors newbie

I just took delivery of my black and red leather 13" sleeve from Joli Originals (http://shop.jolioriginals.com/).

Amazing quality of workmanship and materials. The leather is beautifully soft and smells amazing. The red felt is nice and smooth and does not shed any lint or fibres. The sleeve is slightly tight but as Joli's website states...it'll begin to loosen as time goes on. The sleeve is expensive but the quality that you get is justifies the cost. All in all, a lovely sleeve for the equally lovely MBA!
steem21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:41 PM   #144
Adidas Addict
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by steem21 View Post
I just took delivery of my black and red leather 13" sleeve from Joli Originals (http://shop.jolioriginals.com/).

Amazing quality of workmanship and materials. The leather is beautifully soft and smells amazing. The red felt is nice and smooth and does not shed any lint or fibres. The sleeve is slightly tight but as Joli's website states...it'll begin to loosen as time goes on. The sleeve is expensive but the quality that you get is justifies the cost. All in all, a lovely sleeve for the equally lovely MBA!
They are nice, but hugely overpriced IMO.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:43 PM   #145
aryan118
macrumors regular

I got the untype case and i seem to love it however i feel it was way to expensive for what it is. should not have been more than 30$
aryan118 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:47 PM   #146
Adidas Addict
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryan118 View Post
I got the untype case and i seem to love it however i feel it was way to expensive for what it is. should not have been more than 30$
A lot of these smaller companies/individuals making wool/felt/leather cases are charging way too much for the product. I am all for people starting up these Etsy-like businesses but feel they could do so much better for themselves with more realistic pricing for what is essentially a little laminating/cutting and stitching.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:16 PM   #147
aryan118
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas Addict View Post
A lot of these smaller companies/individuals making wool/felt/leather cases are charging way too much for the product. I am all for people starting up these Etsy-like businesses but feel they could do so much better for themselves with more realistic pricing for what is essentially a little laminating/cutting and stitching.
Exactly, I am not against new start ups but what i paid and when i opened the box i was like hmmm seriously ? i could have tried to come up with something similar if i tried.
aryan118 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:06 PM   #148
optmi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryan118 View Post
Exactly, I am not against new start ups but what i paid and when i opened the box i was like hmmm seriously ? i could have tried to come up with something similar if i tried.
I'm all about cottage industry & Etsy so take this with a grain of salt, but that all depends on how much the materials cost + labor + postage. I used to be in the import export and manufacturing game here in New York. It can be quite pricey for raw material, labor and postage.

Do the approximation per sleeve:

- High quality leather or wool per case or sleeve @ $15
- Thread, button/s @ 50 Cents
- Custom made label @ 50 Cents
- Labor, What is your time worth? Lets say $20 per hour to make enough to eat, sleep and have a roof over your head, pay corporate taxes on profit and have the odd beer + pay back your student loan. I make around $30/h and still find it quite hard to live in NY with loans/food/tax etc.
- Shipping $5-10 depending on location with USPS (Let's use $5)

Total cost if it takes an hour to make as an Etsy type business (i.e. I'm guessing they don't have state of the art manufacturing equipment such as industrial sewing machines = $35 excluding Buttons and label with low cost shipping.

Approx profit per sleeve if they sell at $50 (low price) = $15.

Now going back to the labor cost based on some Etsy person sewing it themselves, if they need $20 per hour for living expenses with no other job, they're $5 short per hour which means $15 per hour.

Bearing in mind this is approximate, $15/h is around $600 per week NOT including money to put back into the business and the purchase of new material to use.

Perhaps they have a baby to take care of and only 5 hours a day to work? That's worse.

Just putting this out there. There are Etsy sellers that charge over $100 for a case or sleeve, yes, I think that is excessive, but as far as I'm concerned, if it is a good quality case or sleeve using high quality material, the $50 - $80 range seems quite reasonable.

I'll certainly continue buying from Etsy and from home based designers/producers.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:51 PM   #149
dubels
macrumors 6502

Loving my BauBau Macbook Air Sleeve.

Memory foam and easy access w/o zippers. Does not add a lot of bulk to the computer and the memory foam is dense.

Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:54 PM   #150
WillMak
macrumors 6502a

10 bucks!

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-synthet...162871&sr=8-17
WillMak is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Tags
bag, case, handbags, macbook air, purse, sleeve