Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Seriously, be truthful. OK, I can't make you like the new look OS, or solve some of the annoying things about it.. However, outta curiosity are there anyone else whom dislike Lion's? Like, so much so much they're thumbling around seeking workarounds, GUI tweaks or willing to backtrack and downgraded to our trusty Snow Leopard?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I've looked and found loads of threads with people experiencing issues with the new-ish OS. To me, this doesn't imply people are hating or disliking lion, only that they're struggling with issues - teething?

Me.. I hate it, possibly completely. Toyed with it for a fare few weeks thinking things will get better, in the same manner as previous upgrades but this one isn't making me laugh with ease of uses or joy, instead I'm finding the Mac experience has turned to infuriatingly annoyance!!

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
As has been discussed in numerous threads, not that much has changed if you choose to change some basic settings. I can make Lion act almost exactly the same as Snow Leopard without resorting to crazy utilities.

Infuriating? Too funny....

S-

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
OK.. How you..

..ask before making a hidden partition on MY hard-drive.
..permanently delete said hidden partition?
..where did my Linux partition go?

..change/customise the order in which devices appear in the sidebar?
..stop the thing from bouncing when I'm scrolling.
..make all scrollbars appear, all the time and add some colour?
..unhide ALL newly hidden folders - i want access to them!!
..make all task bar icons smaller!!

..permanently prevent QT from blanking all my screen when in full screen?
..permanently disable or prevent the annoying file locking feature

..force iChat to connect - lots of errors
..why doesn't facetime work ALL the time?
..where's the 'Save as' thing in TextEdit?
..STOP installing latest iTunes/ unwanted apps - I don't need it - why can't it remember my decisions?

..possible to make ProTools work without resorting to an expensive upgrade? Guess not...

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Know what?? Don't bother... I'm done wasting time with the new OS. I'm gonna 'upgrade' and install SL. Guess I'm kinds lucky in ways cause I have manual backups of all my files, app preferences and settings.. Some are less fortunate.

There are some things I 'love' about lion, It's great apple has streamlined their OS, trashed the PPC compatibility, made it boot into a 64 kernel by default. However, they should have left some options available for users whom prefer the older GUI look and feel...

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lion is awesome. Stop making up excuses.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
OK.. How you..

..ask before making a hidden partition on MY hard-drive.
..permanently delete said hidden partition?
..where did my Linux partition go?

..change/customise the order in which devices appear in the sidebar?
..stop the thing from bouncing when I'm scrolling.
..make all scrollbars appear, all the time and add some colour?
..unhide ALL newly hidden folders - i want access to them!!
..make all task bar icons smaller!!

..permanently prevent QT from blanking all my screen when in full screen?
..permanently disable or prevent the annoying file locking feature

..force iChat to connect - lots of errors
..why doesn't facetime work ALL the time?
..where's the 'Save as' thing in TextEdit?
..STOP installing latest iTunes/ unwanted apps - I don't need it - why can't it remember my decisions?

..possible to make ProTools work without resorting to an expensive upgrade? Guess not...

• "Change the order of the devices" - you serious? Drag and drop.
  • "make all scrollbars appear all the time" - System Preferences > General
  • "unhide ALL newly hidden folders - i want access to them" - chflags nohidden ~/Library/ in Terminal. Or just use the Go menu...:rolleyes:
  • "make all task bar icons smaller" - System Preferences > General if you mean the sidebar icons
  • "permanently disable or prevent the annoying file locking feature " - System Preferences > Time Machine > Options > Uncheck "Lock documents

You can also delete the Recovery Partition. Just search.

I wonder if you even bothered to Google these things. Or maybe you're more interested in complaining than actually solving your problems.

Queen6

macrumors G4
If you look back in time, much same was said of Snow Leopard, with many users initially unhappy, as with all OS X .0 releases Lion will build on reliability and compatibility in time. Personally I like Lion, you have to adapt your workflow if you are/were a big user of spaces, in general I feel it is big jump forward.

The vast majority of the issues are most likely to come from upgrading Snow Leopard to Lion, and in general I always prefer a clean install, especially with OS X as it is a very easy process. There will always be those who are not fond of change and staying with Snow Leopard is the solution, and additional features will be added in 10.6.9 by the looks of it.

As much as I like the new features of Lion, I will most likely continue to use Snow leopard as primary OS until 10.7.2 is released and then make the switch. This being said 10.7.1 on my new i5 256Gb MacBook Air; I have yet to have any issue with Lion other than exploring and getting used to the new features, and Lion is giving me the most stable WiFi connection of any system in the house...

If you dont like Lion, simply revert to Snow Leopard, and wait for OS X 10.7 to mature or skip it and hope 10.8 meets your expectations, the brutal reality is the vast majority of users will be happy with 10.7 and only a small minority will seek out forums to vent, and I seriously doubt that this is Apple`s demographic for defining OS X, so in short like it or loath it; Lion is here to stay :apple:

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
"Change the order of the devices" - you serious? Drag and drop.

Oops, I should rephrase. I meant the entire section, preferred order Devices, Servers then Favourites. I've tried multiple times to move all the devices to the top and it refuses to budge all I'm able to do is move the drives up and down.

"make all scrollbars appear all the time" - System Preferences > General
"unhide ALL newly hidden folders - i want access to them" - chflags nohidden ~/Library/ in Terminal. Or just use the Go menu...
"make all task bar icons smaller" - System Preferences > General if you mean the sidebar icons

No.. I meant the taskbar or toolbar, small icon option removed!!

"permanently disable or prevent the annoying file locking feature " - System Preferences > Time Machine > Options > Uncheck "Lock documents

You can also delete the Recovery Partition. Just search.

I wonder if you even bothered to Google these things. Or maybe you're more interested in complaining than actually solving your problems.

Thanks for those but maybe they'll be more useful for someone else now.
Formatting the drive is lesser of a problem for me... I feel i've complained about Lion enough, it's come to the point where I'm giving up and moving on. Come to think of it, I'm more pissed it's deleted my linux partition and replaced it with some recovery partition... what a utter waste of space!

----------

[/COLOR]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lion is awesome. Stop making up excuses.

That's your opinion, your entitled to it. Avid however ain't patching ProTool 8 to support Lion.. and I ain't paying for the pricey upgrade since my version worked fine with SL. I guess dropping Lion is the cheaper of the two.

Last edited:

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
Seriously, be truthful. OK, I can't make you like the new look OS, or solve some of the annoying things about it.. However, outta curiosity are there anyone else whom dislike Lion's? Like, so much so much they're thumbling around seeking workarounds, GUI tweaks or willing to backtrack and downgraded to our trusty Snow Leopard?

I want to use Lion, I've tried very hard to like it, I've tried even harder to work out all the bugs in Lion with workarounds and it's a cascading issue from 1 problem to the next that made me realize that Lion's just wasting my time so I did switch back to SL and all of my issues are now resolved, 10.6.8 simply works and works better than 10.7 in my specific case.

I've objectively used Lion on other machines and in some cases they appear to work better than it does on mine (for example I'm on a MBP while I tested an iMac). However I was able to reproduce some of the problems I saw on my own machine on the iMac also that the user wasn't aware of until then.

I took my machine to an Apple Store, paid them to upgrade the machine to Lion just to prove that even they can't make it work. My machine's less than 3 months old and 3 different "techs" tried to install Lion by upgrading a fresh recovery to a fresh install and all of the problems I encountered were easily duplicated. They took another identical MBP model off the sales floor, did a full recovery to SL, then installed Lion and saw the exact same problems as my own machine, proving the issues aren't just limited to my personal machine.

Case in point is, if Lion's working great for you, then great, but if you have issues where normal stuff isn't working, you're running into intermittent problems, your machine simply doesn't work right even when there's only Apple software and nothing else installed like my own machine, then moving back to SL is the better choice under the assumption that SL worked better from the beginning.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Didn't like it at first, and also had performance issues with very slow boot-up time initially. Doing a clean install solved the performance issues, and the rest of the OS grew on me.

What I don't like is the fact that developers have to include support for 'Versions,' Apple's new revision control system in Lion. It would've been a lot cooler to just make a seamless, functional interface for it that all apps could use. As it is now, only Textedit and Pages (AFAIK) support Versions.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
That's your opinion, your entitled to it. Avid however ain't patching ProTool 8 to support Lion.. and I ain't paying for the pricey upgrade since my version worked fine with SL. I guess dropping Lion is the cheaper of the two.

And now the truth comes out. You don't hate Lion. You're too bull-headed to admit that you're just too cheap to update your software and you're upset that Apple doesn't care.

jW

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
And now the truth comes out. You don't hate Lion. You're too bull-headed to admit that you're just too cheap to update your software and you're upset that Apple doesn't care.

jW

Haha.. Yeah I'm defo way too cheap to upgrade software which previously worked. Plus, I'd much prefer to put my money towards a new motorcycle, buying it outright with cold hard cash.. It's less stressful than encouraging Lion to work properly plus it'll start waaaaay faster!

Last edited:

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Versions, resume and mission control are all pretty fundamentally conceptually broken, and either can't be turned off at all or cannot be disabled properly. The new gesture model is inferior to SL.

Yes, there are plenty of us who don't like Lion.

Phazer

jaikob

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Freeland, MI
Obvious Troll.

Half the stuff you are complaining about was never in Snow Leopard. You don't have to use these new features.

If you dislike it so much switch to Windows, I'm sure you will be much happier there.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Haha.. Yeah I'm defo way too cheap to upgrade software which previously worked.
You should be talking to Avid. Every Operating Systems will lose some software compatibility after a major upgrade. It's unreasonable to expect otherwise.
Professionals usually hold off on OS upgrades for exactly this reason.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Obvious Troll.

Half the stuff you are complaining about was never in Snow Leopard. You don't have to use these new features.

If you dislike it so much switch to Windows, I'm sure you will be much happier there.

Let get it right shell we? I've NEVER really switched outta windows for a mac only environment... Also, if what you say is true then those features I supposedly don't use wouldn't be lacking or missing. Think about it Einstein:rolleyes:

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
You should be talking to Avid. Every Operating Systems will lose some software compatibility after a major upgrade. It's unreasonable to expect otherwise.
Professionals usually hold off on OS upgrades for exactly this reason.

I'll forgive you for not knowing, this however ain't my sole Mac, Lion family pack was on two of the four systems (thankfully not installed on a production system) now that's number has been reduced to one, the other has natty narwhal running wild :) Sure beats trying to tri-boot with Lion's bootcamp on a MBP.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
For the matter of things i did a clean install of lion on my macbook pro 13 after i borked the lion upgraded install of sl when i install ubuntu linux. well i have had issue since the clean install so clean installs are not end all end all of fixing problems

Queen6

macrumors G4
For the matter of things i did a clean install of lion on my macbook pro 13 after i borked the lion upgraded install of sl when i install ubuntu linux. well i have had issue since the clean install so clean installs are not end all end all of fixing problems

Agreed, however a clean install simplifies the troubleshooting, I have gone through it a few times and I now defer to a clean install, running the older OS off of a separate drive, migrating only what I really need

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
stuck it on two of my daily macs (2010 MBA and 2010 MBP) around a month ago to see if I could live with it before buying a 2011 MBA

In summary: none of the new stuff impresses me, while most of it doesn't bother me as I can ignore it (mission control launchpad etc) some of it p***es me off..

File versioning I want to have the option to turn off

Likewise the 'reload apps on next restart' tickbox I want to remember my last choice as its default, not set itself to on as its default again next time shut down comes around.

ooh and I wouldn't mind some colour back in my sidebar icons either..

little trivial things I'm sure, but all the more annoying because someone has took it on themselves to decide what they think is best for me rather than giving me the choice whether to use them or not.

Still bought 2011 MBA regardless, albeit with my trip to the local apple store more of a "clench my teeth and hold my nose" experience than an excited hop skip and jump one..

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
It's only fair. I've had an ubuntu install render my OSX partition unbootable through careless partitioning. ;)
/jk
Still, Apple does have an unfortunate habit of acting like the own your machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.