Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:13 AM   #1
In-Correct
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, TX USA
Send a message via Yahoo to In-Correct
Question Ssd:

I have up and running an

1 PowerBook g3
1 tray loading imac g3
2 slot loading imac g3

9.2.2 native boot on all.
(and Tiger on one of them)

will internal SSD work?
I would love to see fast 9.2.2 load even faster!!

Last edited by In-Correct; Aug 30, 2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo.
In-Correct is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:17 AM   #2
MAC MAN JW
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Buffalo,Ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Correct View Post
I have up and running an

1 PowerBook g3
1 tray loading imac g3
2 slot loading imac g3

9.2.2 native boot on all.
(and Tiger on one of them)

will internal SSD work?
I would love to see fast 9.2.2 load even faster!!
Tiger Yes! os 9 i do not know if you do get a ssd make sure you get a ATA ssd drive!
__________________
MacBook Pro 2010 i5 15in Mavericks (Waiting For It To Come In The Mail), PowerMac G5 Dual 2 GHz,4Gb Ram,1+TB storage Leopard,iPhone 4S Verizon
MAC MAN JW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Nameci
macrumors 68000
 
Nameci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 今天窝在中国广东深圳
Send a message via MSN to Nameci Send a message via Yahoo to Nameci Send a message via Skype™ to Nameci
try owc, they have pata ssd's...
__________________
PMG5 Quad|2xPMG5 2.3DC|PMG5 1.8DP|2xPMG4 1.42DP|PMG4 PCI|PMG3 B&W|17' iMac 2.0|20" iMac 2.0|12" iBook 1.33|15" PowerBook 1.67HR/DLSD|BlackBook 2.4C2D|Late '09 MacMini
Nameci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:17 PM   #4
zen.state
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
This upgrade will help the drive speed a little but with them all being G3 the money you will need to invest will not have anywhere near the return in performance boost.

I'm not even sure OS 9 could deal with an SSD properly. Not that it wouldn't work at all but there could very well be data corruption and/or loss. There is also no TRIM support that many SSD need to perform properly.

If performance is the goal then take the 400+ the 3x SSD would cost and buy a fast G4 and still have 100-200 left.
zen.state is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:23 PM   #5
MacHamster68
macrumors 68040
 
MacHamster68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen.state View Post
This upgrade will help the drive speed a little but with them all being G3 the money you will need to invest will not have anywhere near the return in performance boost.

I'm not even sure OS 9 could deal with an SSD properly. Not that it wouldn't work at all but there could very well be data corruption and/or loss. There is also no TRIM support that many SSD need to perform properly.

If performance is the goal then take the 400+ the 3x SSD would cost and buy a fast G4 and still have 100-200 left.
where are you getting your ssd's from i payed for 2x 64gb ide ssd's for my iMac G3's just 120 so 60 each (transcent from ebay still in original packaging unopend)and you could get even cheaper ones with ~10-20GB and it makes a improvement

and the little Tiger learns to fly
__________________
DANGER POST MAY CONTAIN SARCASM
Intelligence does not need Intel inside,
All it needs is good sense outside.

Last edited by MacHamster68; Aug 30, 2011 at 02:35 PM.
MacHamster68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:27 PM   #6
brycemason
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
You don't need TRIM support on OWC's PATA drives. They have garbage collection built in to the Sandforce chip. You will love the speed, but hate the cost.
brycemason is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:25 PM   #7
Nameci
macrumors 68000
 
Nameci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 今天窝在中国广东深圳
Send a message via MSN to Nameci Send a message via Yahoo to Nameci Send a message via Skype™ to Nameci
I more than agree about the cost, I am still waiting for them to lower down the price for the 120gb PATA SSD, if they can slash off a hundred bucks of the price I would buy one right away for my powerbook...
__________________
PMG5 Quad|2xPMG5 2.3DC|PMG5 1.8DP|2xPMG4 1.42DP|PMG4 PCI|PMG3 B&W|17' iMac 2.0|20" iMac 2.0|12" iBook 1.33|15" PowerBook 1.67HR/DLSD|BlackBook 2.4C2D|Late '09 MacMini
Nameci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:35 PM   #8
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020
 
Jethryn Freyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Don't know, but you won't get too much of a performance boost (G3s are quite slow) and it's honestly a waste of money. You could probably get a dual processor G5 tower for that money.
Jethryn Freyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:15 PM   #9
In-Correct
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, TX USA
Send a message via Yahoo to In-Correct
Lightbulb

btw only need like 20gb internal disk. I store on external devices anyways. OWC make smaller capacity drives also?

I guess by the time hard drives wear out, I will have money saved for expensive giant OWC SSD drives.

not concerned with huge speed increase ... I understand processors are low end.
tried opening .avi and .mov files ... it works when playing ... but not "rewind" and "fast forward" (holding down QuickTime's << and >> Buttons)

( love the sped up audio )

but 9.2.2 is so impressive with general use. curious about it being even faster than fast!!

and
What makes you think I am not planning to get a dual processor G5 tower? with another SSD.
but that one would be my tiger only computer.
In-Correct is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:34 PM   #10
chrismacguy
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Correct View Post
btw only need like 20gb internal disk. I store on external devices anyways. OWC make smaller capacity drives also?

I guess by the time hard drives wear out, I will have money saved for expensive giant OWC SSD drives.

not concerned with huge speed increase ... I understand processors are low end.
tried opening .avi and .mov files ... it works when playing ... but not "rewind" and "fast forward" (holding down QuickTime's << and >> Buttons)

( love the sped up audio )

but 9.2.2 is so impressive with general use. curious about it being even faster than fast!!

and
What makes you think I am not planning to get a dual processor G5 tower? with another SSD.
but that one would be my tiger only computer.
Personally I would get a Dual 1.25Ghz G4 MDD with OS 9.2.2 and an SSD... That would be pretty much the ultimate Mac OS 9 Machine (I think my Dual 867 G4 gets quite close, and certainly handles all my 9Ware).
__________________
Mac Pro/2.8Ghz/12GB/1TB; MacBook Air 11"/1.4Ghz/2GB/64GB;
MB 2.1CD;iPad 16GB/3G.PB G4/1.67Ghz;eMac 700Mhz;PM G4/Dual 867Mhz, PM G4/450Mhz;iMac G3;iBook G3;iPods etc.
www.youtube.com/chrismacguy
chrismacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:57 AM   #11
In-Correct
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, TX USA
Send a message via Yahoo to In-Correct
Question Which:

Which G4s "can" natively boot 9.2.2 ??
In-Correct is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:05 PM   #12
zen.state
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Correct View Post
Which G4s "can" natively boot 9.2.2 ??
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1835

Was the first result after googling "os9 capable macs".
zen.state is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 04:52 PM   #13
In-Correct
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DFW, TX USA
Send a message via Yahoo to In-Correct
Smile I Think I Have It:

okay so:

all prior to g3 CAN boot natively to original microkernel mac os (althogh not all the way to 9.2.2)
all g3

g4 can NOT boot 9.2.2 except:

titanium powerbook
first 3 of the 4 powermac
first 1 of the 4 emac
cube
first 1 of the 4 imac desk lamp

none of g5 and later ...

am I Correct?
In-Correct is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 07:16 PM   #14
zen.state
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
You asked the what Macs run OS9 question and I then provide a link with literally ALL the answers and yet you still ask questions that link answers for you.

Too much redundancy my friend..
zen.state is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:08 PM   #15
Nova77
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
[where is the delete button]
Nova77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Tags
9.2.2, hard drive, imac g3, powerbook g3, ssd

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ssd+hdd VS ssd+ssd battery life Mickovich MacBook Pro 0 Mar 17, 2014 06:31 AM
1TB SSD vs 240GB SSD (OS) + 1TB SSD (Media) Combo sunnyj MacBook Pro 1 Dec 7, 2013 03:37 PM
Is it better to have FCPX on a 6g SSD, or the Video files on the 6G SSD? (6Gvs3G SSD) Korican100 Digital Video 9 Aug 17, 2013 12:10 AM
SSD to SSD backups = using CCC or Super Duper to backup main SSD to optical bay SSD imorton MacBook Pro 10 Feb 17, 2013 10:35 PM
DUAL SSD SETUP = any issues or info re main bay SSD and optical bay SSD? imorton MacBook Pro 13 Feb 17, 2013 11:31 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC