Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace.of.Trades

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Hi, guys,

I'm making a movie that includes an interview of someone who lives out of state. Thanks to modern technology, I can interview her without either of us having to travel farther than our computers. But, thanks to modern technology, shouldn't there also be a way for me to record this interview for my movie?

I've figured out how to use QuickTime Player to take a screen recording that includes the audio from the computer, but there are several problems with this.
I downloaded Soundflower, set the Sound Output to "Soundflower (2ch)" in my System Preferences, then went to QuickTIme, where I started a screen recording and set the Microphone to "Soundflower (2ch)". With a test run using music, I was able to capture the moving playhead and the audio. The audio was pretty good, but not quite as good as if I were just listening to the music normally.

However, this process won't work for an interview setting. While I was recording, I wasn't able to hear the music on my headphones. Only afterwards was I able to hear the music. This means that if I were interviewing someone, Quicktime would be recording her voice but I wouldn't be able to hear what she was saying until after I replayed the video. Also, I have no idea if the person on the other end of the video chat would be able to hear me (I did leave the sound Input to "Internal microphone" with no trouble from Quicktime).

Is there a way to have Quicktime record the video and audio and for me to hear what's going on at the same time?

If not, what [free] software does this?

Thanks!

P.S. Does Quicktime have a limit to screen recording time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.