Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
I only have an iPhone that I tend to hook up to other computers when I need to update. I'm curious, does anyone own just an iPad? And use it for everything?

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Eh the ipad cannot be used as a computer no more than your smartphone. I honestly don't think anyone can forgo an actual PC in favor of the ipad. Ok so you probably could but with the amount of hacks, apps, and external gizmos why even bother. Don't get me wrong i personally can't wait until an Ipad can technically be labled as a true personal computer.

mrrish

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
I'm about 80% iPad and 20% Mac. And the iPad:Mac time ratio is continuing to increase.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
i imagine some people could go without a computer and rely solely on an ipad, but not me. about 90% of my work gets done on the ipad. but, the other 10% really cannot be covered by the ipad, and won't for the foreseeable future.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
It can depended on what you use your computer for.

DGD nails it, of course. You can only ask 'does the iPad address my computing needs fully or not?'. For many people here (or their family/friends) it does. For many others, it does not.

To pull some numbers out of nowhere, I'd peg it at pretty much an 80/20 rule: 80% of people can do everything they need to; or alternatively everyone can do 80% of everything they need to.

Anything else about it's not a 'real' computer or can't handle 'real' work, or about how it needs to run Office, or an OS X filesystem, or Final Cut Pro on three monitors, or whatever the standard is now, before it's considered a replacement computer, is pro-level goalpost moving.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It's not my only computer but I certainly log more hours on it than my other machines.

----------

No. iPad is for when I'm "killing time."

Actually, I get very good amount of actual work done on mine, though my work probably lends itself better to devices like that.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
iOS5 will at least make it possible. I find the iPad good enough for my traveling needs, and it has essentially replaced my MB and MBP. That said a 'real' machine is still a requirement for most users.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Still use a desktop daily

Do not own a tablet and see no need for it.

I check email, news, makes docs, presentations fine on a desktop and occasionally the hard core modern warfare game is played.

There is no way the iPad can replace a personal computer.
It is a fun device but running a mobile system and having no physical keyboard, it can't progress much more.

Most of you will flame me but I am speaking the truth and you know it.

Listen to the truth and it will set you free.

yosionp

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
I use my ipad as a main computer! It is my best device as it gives me a good speed on 3G. so the best device yet.
Yes, my desktop is still there can not replace it as I am used to the keypad! ;)

brettatk

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I don't see the iPad ever replacing our main computer. We use it primarily as a Media Server. Pretty much everything else can be done on the iPad but some things are just easier to do on the computer.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I doubt that there's anyway to use the iPad as your only computer. How are you going to sync media files to the iPad if you don't even have a computer?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
If not for my VPN into work and playing some Starcraft II, it could be my only computer. The former it can actually do, but not well enough to do serious work.

So while I think it can replace a regular computer for a lot of things, it's not quite there as a stand-alone (for me) and possibly never will be.

ruvil

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2010
i wish i could, but since i've got a 27" iMac at home - naah.

I do however try to use it as much as possible in school.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I use it as my main machine. If I'm not on my work computer, I'm on my iPad. At home, I only use my tower for hosting media, running backups, and syncing my iPad/iPhone. Once iOS 5 comes out, I imagine I will barely look at my PC, but I will still want it to run media backups and Home Sharing.

I still need my full blown computer, but not to do anything fun or productive on. I guess I'm just not that kind of user. I originally built my current tower to run Crysis. Now it's just a glorified hard drive.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
My iPad is for fun, my MBP for actually getting work done. When I can word process, run Quicken or a good alternative, and print to my printers EASILY, THEN the ipad might become my main portable computer. But I don't see it ever becoming my main computer. Not enough storage or HP under the hood.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Nope. I would not be able to get by with just my iPad. I still use my MacBook Pro very regularly and I could not manage my workflow without it. Sure for some people it would work out, but not for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.