Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Calexico
macrumors newbie

iPod Video 5.5G 80gb Battery/Hard Drive Problems

So, about 6 months ago, a teacher returned me my 80gb iPod Video 5.5G that I had lost about 1.5 years ago in school. I took it home and used it for like a day, and then the iPod (I assumed the hard drive) started clicking. Then it turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I figured the hard drive was fried and just left it on my desk until now. Today I plugged it in to my computer (I had tried this before) and suddenly it says something like "Very low battery: Please wait". I changed the USB port and now it is on and syncing with my iTunes. So I'm very happy right now, but I have a question:

When the iPod stopped working, it was immediately after it had been clicking for a few hours. Is it possible that the clicking had anything to do with the battery or was this definitely a hard drive problem that may still be unresolved?
Calexico is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:11 PM   #2
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

It may have something to do with the battery, but it is likely something with the HDD itself. When a hard disk sits unused for a long period of time, it can begin to freeze up a bit, making it hard to spin up for a little while. I have this problem with retro computers. If it is working now, it should keep working. It probably just had a little trouble spinning up at first, making that clicking sound you heard.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod