Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nosfan1019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
I liked how I had it set up on SL where most of my rarely used Apple apps were stored in an "Apple" folder, thereby not cluttering up my folder.

Yet when I try to do this in Lion it "xxx can't be modified or deleted because it's required by Mac OS X." Anybody know a way around this?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm not sure if their is a way or not. The Apps are now linked into Launchpad with 10.7 and they probably hardwired the applications folder to launchpad to ensure every app on the Mac is accessible.

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
There is no safe way of doing this. Apple has added extensive sandboxing and security features to Lion that prevent even the removal of some directories from ~/Library. They have locked down their apps in kind. Learn to live with it. Organize Launchpad to workaround this, use another app launcher, or suffer a cluttered Applications folder.

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
Why don't you just make a folder with shortcuts to your most used apps. This way you won't have to see the apps you don't use very often. You could even make another separate folder with shortcuts to the apps that you don't use very often. This way the system Applications folder will remain unmodified.

There are many ways to start an app (spotlight, dock, etc.), but this might work for you (if I understand correctly what you're trying to do)

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Just tried moving System Preferences.app and while it made me authenticate, I was able to move it successfully to a folder within Applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.