Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
i am looking to integrate my mac pro into my home theater, but this is what i need to know:

i will be running a monitor out to the kitchen for the wife to use windows on my mac,

and i am also hooking it up to the tv, and possibly to another screen in the family room,

is it possible to hook up say 2-3 wireless or blu tooth keyboards and mice to the same computer?

1 for the windows portion, 1 for the family room, and one for the tv it will be hooked to?

i have a dual video card in it now, and will add 1 more card for windows only pretty much.

spidey3

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
is it possible to hook up say 2-3 wireless or blu tooth keyboards and mice to the same computer?

I think it is marginally doable, but I don't think you will get something which really does what you want. For one, you definitely will not be able to run Windows and OSX at the same time [unless you use VMWare or such], and even then you probably will not be able to arrange independent use as Windows on one KVM head vs. OSX on the other KVM head. Not to mention the difficulty of long KVM cable runs. In the end getting this configured will be more effort than it is worth.

You should just get a cheap windows box for your wife to use in the kitchen. Keep that separate from the Mac.

Then you can use the dual-port graphics card to deal with your main and HT monitors.

And on the occasion that you wish to connect from from kitchen computer to the Mac, just use VNC...

Spidey!!!

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
I think it is marginally doable, but I don't think you will get something which really does what you want. For one, you definitely will not be able to run Windows and OSX at the same time [unless you use VMWare or such], and even then you probably will not be able to arrange independent use as Windows on one KVM head vs. OSX on the other KVM head. Not to mention the difficulty of long KVM cable runs. In the end getting this configured will be more effort than it is worth.

You should just get a cheap windows box for your wife to use in the kitchen. Keep that separate from the Mac.

Then you can use the dual-port graphics card to deal with your main and HT monitors.

And on the occasion that you wish to connect from from kitchen computer to the Mac, just use VNC...

Spidey!!!

thanks for the reply, yeah i was afraid of all of this, but if i run dual monitors and can drag windows vmware or even virtual box, then it may work? i may have to just get a small windows computer as u suggested, buti am looking to have a as few computers running as possible.

i may try it out and see if i can get it to work

spidey3

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
thanks for the reply, yeah i was afraid of all of this, but if i run dual monitors and can drag windows vmware or even virtual box, then it may work? i may have to just get a small windows computer as u suggested, buti am looking to have a as few computers running as possible.

i may try it out and see if i can get it to work

Worth trying, but I doubt you will get the user experience you want. As some say, it probably will work for geeks only (i.e. not be non-tech person friendly).

Please do respond back to the thread with the outcome -- I am curious as to what you come up with...

Spidey!!!

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Worth trying, but I doubt you will get the user experience you want. As some say, it probably will work for geeks only (i.e. not be non-tech person friendly).

Please do respond back to the thread with the outcome -- I am curious as to what you come up with...

Spidey!!!

no prob! i will report back within the month as we are byting a new house and once in it, i will try to see if i can do this!

with a wireless card and a blu tooth card, there are at least two possibilities, correct? not to mention blu tooth and wireless usb sticks as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.