Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:48 PM   #1
wm6405
macrumors member

iPhone Out of Memory, Automatically Deleting my Pic/Vids??

Hey Guys...I'm a little stumped here. I have a 32GB iPhone 4 which I thought would be plenty big when I bought it, but it turns out I've filled it up with all the music, pictures, and videos I've taken on it. So now its been giving me warnings to delete pics & vids so I have more disk space, and then all the sudden a week or two ago I looked back at my Camera Roll and it had deleted about 800 pictures and videos on its own. It looked like it had deleted them at random because I had recent things, but then it would have deleted every 3 or 4 in between that...So I've plugged it up to iTunes and its telling me I can't add anything more to my phone because of no memory, even when it deleted all that stuff on its own...And now today I plugged it up again and it now tells me I have "No pictures or videos" in my camera roll (which kinda pisses me off because I hadn't synced a lot of them), so I thought for sure I would have a lot of open memory but I went to about in my setting and it still says I have 1,500 pics and videos on my device...So are these things in my camera roll just hiding from me on my device because it says they are still there in my settings, and they are obviously still taking up memory. They just don't show up in my photos...Any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks!

Last edited by wm6405; Aug 31, 2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
wm6405 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:51 PM   #2
saberahul
macrumors 68040

I have run out of memory but it has never delete my pics/vids. Are you sure they went missing?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:55 PM   #3
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Why ignore all the warnings?? Shouldn't that have been the time to solve the problem?

You could try restoring from the latest backup. But first stop syncing everything! Only sync what you need on the phone. Don't use the phone to store your life. That's what the computer is for.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:06 AM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603

Could be because it's jailbroken.
blueroom is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:57 PM   #5
accessoriesguy
macrumors 6502a

possibly RAM filled, did swaps, got rid of the ugly? that's only a random guess however.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 07:41 PM   #6
DirtySocks85
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
Why ignore all the warnings?? Shouldn't that have been the time to solve the problem?

You could try restoring from the latest backup. But first stop syncing everything! Only sync what you need on the phone. Don't use the phone to store your life. That's what the computer is for.
How about you stop telling the OP what their devices are "for"? I agree, there's a technical limitation that means that the OP will have to prioritize, but some people have different priorities.

For example, music on my phone is not a priority for me, so I only have a handful of songs on there (mostly my workout playlist and a few of my favorite albums at any given point in time). I do however use my phone like a digital photo wallet.

I sync all/most of my pics from my iPhoto library back to my iPhone so that I can show people things. It's just really neat to live in a day and age where I can be talking about this cool thing that happened on a vacation that I took last year and then stop and say "hold on, let me show you" and quickly bring up a picture of the event on my phone.
DirtySocks85 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:27 PM   #7
nixnax
macrumors newbie

This exact thing happened to me about two days ago, and I'm really upset about it. I was about to back up my phone too, but now I don't have anything to back up. My 1,100 pictures are now at 284, but I don't have any more free space. Are they hidden somewhere on the phone still possibly?
nixnax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:35 PM   #8
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

this happened to me at a concert....I was taping and I got a messegae saying I needed to delete some items to make room...after that the camera wouldn't even go into video mode until I deleted some things...all the video I taped that night was gone...my solution is to email the videos to myself after I take em then delete off the camera roll...or send them straight to youtube then delete

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone