Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:34 AM   #1
jrm27
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Can I plug an external hard drive into a PS3 to watch movies?

Hi all,

I've got a 3tb drive jammed full of movies that I've converted from my DVD collection using handbrake. They are all converted to .m4v files. Can I plug this hard drive into a ps3 and watch movies? The drive isn't formatted as NTFS or FAT-32.

-jon
__________________
Flickr
jrm27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:47 PM   #2
e˛Studios
macrumors 68020
 
e˛Studios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm27 View Post
Hi all,

I've got a 3tb drive jammed full of movies that I've converted from my DVD collection using handbrake. They are all converted to .m4v files. Can I plug this hard drive into a ps3 and watch movies? The drive isn't formatted as NTFS or FAT-32.

-jon
No, it has to be formatted as FAT32 or the PS3 won't be able to see anything on it. Fix that issue and yes you can use it to play movies off of.
__________________
"Shine Get!"
e˛Studios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2011, 12:24 PM   #3
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
You also need to set up the internal folder structure to match what the PS3 expects.
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2011, 09:18 PM   #4
obsidian1200
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
You also need to set up the internal folder structure to match what the PS3 expects.
Well, you don't need to, since you can always press the triangle button on the controller while hovering over the external drive and select "display all files", which then displays all the files on the drive. It does make the experience slightly more fluid since you can just select the drive and enter it when the folder structure is correct, but it's not a necessity.

Also, to the OP, I know you said you only have encoded DVDs, but if/when you start encoding blu rays, you'll likely run into problems regarding the 4GB limit of fat32, so you'll have to split files that come out as larger than 4GB into smaller files.
obsidian1200 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:07 AM   #5
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian1200 View Post
Well, you don't need to, since you can always press the triangle button on the controller while hovering over the external drive and select "display all files"
Ah, good to know. In my research, all the sites I saw seemed to at least imply it was a requirement.
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 01:13 PM   #6
SlickShoes
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Also if you have a slim PS3 like me, make sure that you disconnect all other USB devices when you are using it or it won't get enough power. The older larger models did not have this problem but the newer ones do, i spent ages trying to work out why my HDD kept disconnecting or not working, after i unplugged all usb devices and just used the HDD it has been flawless!
SlickShoes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:25 PM   #7
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
Also if you have a slim PS3 like me, make sure that you disconnect all other USB devices when you are using it or it won't get enough power.
Or use a powered drive. I have a 3.5" drive connected to my PS3, so it definitely has its own AC power supply. Most smaller drives come with a power port as well, so you can add a power supply. This allows you to connect all your other devices/charge your controller.
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Albern
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Thanks guys you have delivered very good information which i have never before
this forum is amazing and thanks to all of you for sharing such good information.
Zombie Games

Last edited by Albern; Oct 1, 2011 at 01:47 AM.
Albern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Rizvi1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian1200 View Post
Well, you don't need to, since you can always press the triangle button on the controller while hovering over the external drive and select "display all files", which then displays all the files on the drive. It does make the experience slightly more fluid since you can just select the drive and enter it when the folder structure is correct, but it's not a necessity.

Also, to the OP, I know you said you only have encoded DVDs, but if/when you start encoding blu rays, you'll likely run into problems regarding the 4GB limit of fat32, so you'll have to split files that come out as larger than 4GB into smaller files.
What's a good external blu-ray drive I can connect to my Mac so I can start ripping them? I would use handbrake for this too right?
__________________
15" 2.4ghz i5 MBP HR-AG, 3 iPhone 5s 16gb (white, verizon), Mac Mini 2.53ghz w/ Dell U2410; 1.83 GHz C2D Mac Mini;4th-gen iPod Touch 64gb
Rizvi1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 11:51 AM   #10
obsidian1200
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizvi1 View Post
What's a good external blu-ray drive I can connect to my Mac so I can start ripping them? I would use handbrake for this too right?
You would need MakeMKV to rip Blu Rays on your mac. Just about any drive should be fine. I'd recommend mine, but Asus no longer makes my particular model.
obsidian1200 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:40 PM   #11
opinioncircle
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Ok you have to be careful with the BR rips. Sony did input some mute function that mutes the movie 20 minutes in. Just sayin ...
__________________
2009 13" Unibody Macbook Pro & 5G iPod
opinioncircle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Rizvi1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian1200 View Post
....

Also, to the OP, I know you said you only have encoded DVDs, but if/when you start encoding blu rays, you'll likely run into problems regarding the 4GB limit of fat32, so you'll have to split files that come out as larger than 4GB into smaller files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian1200 View Post
You would need MakeMKV to rip Blu Rays on your mac. Just about any drive should be fine. I'd recommend mine, but Asus no longer makes my particular model.
Thanks. I'll set up a deal alert on slickdeals for a blu-ray drive and grab one. IIRC, you can't watch movies on a mac off a blu-ray drive but you can rip and then play them.

Also, the MakeMKV program that was recommended has an easy "split files" option for working w/ fat32 hard drives?
__________________
15" 2.4ghz i5 MBP HR-AG, 3 iPhone 5s 16gb (white, verizon), Mac Mini 2.53ghz w/ Dell U2410; 1.83 GHz C2D Mac Mini;4th-gen iPod Touch 64gb
Rizvi1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:02 PM   #13
Zodiax360
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Prob to late but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm27 View Post
Hi all,

I've got a 3tb drive jammed full of movies that I've converted from my DVD collection using handbrake. They are all converted to .m4v files. Can I plug this hard drive into a ps3 and watch movies? The drive isn't formatted as NTFS or FAT-32.

-jon
Ive found out how to watch movies from a external HDD after a bit of research and i stumbled across this link and thought you might want to look at it if you havnt already got the problem resolved.
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/comp...ive-to-fat-32/
Zodiax360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiax360 View Post
Ive found out how to watch movies from a external HDD after a bit of research and i stumbled across this link and thought you might want to look at it if you havnt already got the problem resolved.
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/comp...ive-to-fat-32/

Interesting...you wouldn't by any chance be the owner of that website, trying to promote it?

You know, seeing how you specifically registered here to make this one post that adds absolutely nothing new to an ancient thread?

Taustin Powers is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:22 PM   #15
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Does the PS3 VIDEO file structure accept subfolders for genres? The external drive I'll be connecting will be 3TB and contain thousands of vids, so it'd be nice if they could be subdivided in to genres to speed displaying them. Also, is there a limit on filenames? Can I use Mac format names with spaces and long titles?
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:03 PM   #16
skottichan
macrumors 6502a
 
skottichan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKofD3ATH View Post
Does the PS3 VIDEO file structure accept subfolders for genres? The external drive I'll be connecting will be 3TB and contain thousands of vids, so it'd be nice if they could be subdivided in to genres to speed displaying them. Also, is there a limit on filenames? Can I use Mac format names with spaces and long titles?
I... I do not know for sure. If you're in no real rush, I can check when I get home tomorrow (I'm at my GFs, and my portable external is FW800 so I can't test on her PS3).
skottichan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:04 PM   #17
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post
I... I do not know for sure. If you're in no real rush, I can check when I get home tomorrow (I'm at my GFs, and my portable external is FW800 so I can't test on her PS3).
No rush at all. Thanks for your help!
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My External Hard Drive will work on a PS3 but not on Mac or Windows Robbie1989 MacBook Pro 0 Jan 30, 2014 09:57 AM
Mac mini can't boot into Windows 8 with a 3TB external hard drive plug in usb jove1981 Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 0 Mar 20, 2013 09:34 AM
Screen goes blank when I plug in hard drive rogercorke Mac Basics and Help 1 Oct 8, 2012 02:48 AM
How to watch videos from iphone>external hard drive>PC? Bugeyeblue iPhone 6 Aug 20, 2012 12:20 AM
I need help !! Want to watch downloaded movies on tv how do i transfer to hard rive SaucyFEMBOT MacBook Pro 4 Jul 22, 2012 06:08 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC