Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:34 AM   #1
jrm27
macrumors 6502

Can I plug an external hard drive into a PS3 to watch movies?

Hi all,

I've got a 3tb drive jammed full of movies that I've converted from my DVD collection using handbrake. They are all converted to .m4v files. Can I plug this hard drive into a ps3 and watch movies? The drive isn't formatted as NTFS or FAT-32.

-jon
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:47 PM   #2
e˛Studios
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm27 View Post
Hi all,

I've got a 3tb drive jammed full of movies that I've converted from my DVD collection using handbrake. They are all converted to .m4v files. Can I plug this hard drive into a ps3 and watch movies? The drive isn't formatted as NTFS or FAT-32.

-jon
No, it has to be formatted as FAT32 or the PS3 won't be able to see anything on it. Fix that issue and yes you can use it to play movies off of.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 12:24 PM   #3
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

You also need to set up the internal folder structure to match what the PS3 expects.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 09:18 PM   #4
obsidian1200
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
You also need to set up the internal folder structure to match what the PS3 expects.
Well, you don't need to, since you can always press the triangle button on the controller while hovering over the external drive and select "display all files", which then displays all the files on the drive. It does make the experience slightly more fluid since you can just select the drive and enter it when the folder structure is correct, but it's not a necessity.

Also, to the OP, I know you said you only have encoded DVDs, but if/when you start encoding blu rays, you'll likely run into problems regarding the 4GB limit of fat32, so you'll have to split files that come out as larger than 4GB into smaller files.
obsidian1200 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:07 AM   #5
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian1200 View Post
Well, you don't need to, since you can always press the triangle button on the controller while hovering over the external drive and select "display all files"
Ah, good to know. In my research, all the sites I saw seemed to at least imply it was a requirement.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 01:13 PM   #6
SlickShoes
macrumors 6502a

Also if you have a slim PS3 like me, make sure that you disconnect all other USB devices when you are using it or it won't get enough power. The older larger models did not have this problem but the newer ones do, i spent ages trying to work out why my HDD kept disconnecting or not working, after i unplugged all usb devices and just used the HDD it has been flawless!
SlickShoes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:25 PM   #7
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
Also if you have a slim PS3 like me, make sure that you disconnect all other USB devices when you are using it or it won't get enough power.
Or use a powered drive. I have a 3.5" drive connected to my PS3, so it definitely has its own AC power supply. Most smaller drives come with a power port as well, so you can add a power supply. This allows you to connect all your other devices/charge your controller.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Albern
macrumors newbie

Thanks guys you have delivered very good information which i have never before
this forum is amazing and thanks to all of you for sharing such good information.
Zombie Games

Last edited by Albern; Oct 1, 2011 at 01:47 AM.
Albern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Rizvi1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well, you don't need to, since you can always press the triangle button on the controller while hovering over the external drive and select "display all files", which then displays all the files on the drive. It does make the experience slightly more fluid since you can just select the drive and enter it when the folder structure is correct, but it's not a necessity.

Also, to the OP, I know you said you only have encoded DVDs, but if/when you start encoding blu rays, you'll likely run into problems regarding the 4GB limit of fat32, so you'll have to split files that come out as larger than 4GB into smaller files.
What's a good external blu-ray drive I can connect to my Mac so I can start ripping them? I would use handbrake for this too right?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 11:51 AM   #10
obsidian1200
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizvi1 View Post
What's a good external blu-ray drive I can connect to my Mac so I can start ripping them? I would use handbrake for this too right?
You would need MakeMKV to rip Blu Rays on your mac. Just about any drive should be fine. I'd recommend mine, but Asus no longer makes my particular model.
obsidian1200 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:40 PM   #11
opinioncircle
macrumors 6502a

Ok you have to be careful with the BR rips. Sony did input some mute function that mutes the movie 20 minutes in. Just sayin ...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Rizvi1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Quote:
You would need MakeMKV to rip Blu Rays on your mac. Just about any drive should be fine. I'd recommend mine, but Asus no longer makes my particular model.
Thanks. I'll set up a deal alert on slickdeals for a blu-ray drive and grab one. IIRC, you can't watch movies on a mac off a blu-ray drive but you can rip and then play them.

Also, the MakeMKV program that was recommended has an easy "split files" option for working w/ fat32 hard drives?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:02 PM   #13
Zodiax360
macrumors newbie

Prob to late but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm27 View Post
Hi all,

-jon
Ive found out how to watch movies from a external HDD after a bit of research and i stumbled across this link and thought you might want to look at it if you havnt already got the problem resolved.
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/comp...ive-to-fat-32/
Zodiax360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiax360 View Post
Ive found out how to watch movies from a external HDD after a bit of research and i stumbled across this link and thought you might want to look at it if you havnt already got the problem resolved.
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/comp...ive-to-fat-32/

Interesting...you wouldn't by any chance be the owner of that website, trying to promote it?

You know, seeing how you specifically registered here to make this one post that adds absolutely nothing new to an ancient thread?

Taustin Powers is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:22 PM   #15
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular

Does the PS3 VIDEO file structure accept subfolders for genres? The external drive I'll be connecting will be 3TB and contain thousands of vids, so it'd be nice if they could be subdivided in to genres to speed displaying them. Also, is there a limit on filenames? Can I use Mac format names with spaces and long titles?
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:03 PM   #16
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKofD3ATH View Post
Does the PS3 VIDEO file structure accept subfolders for genres? The external drive I'll be connecting will be 3TB and contain thousands of vids, so it'd be nice if they could be subdivided in to genres to speed displaying them. Also, is there a limit on filenames? Can I use Mac format names with spaces and long titles?
I... I do not know for sure. If you're in no real rush, I can check when I get home tomorrow (I'm at my GFs, and my portable external is FW800 so I can't test on her PS3).
skottichan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:04 PM   #17
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post
I... I do not know for sure. If you're in no real rush, I can check when I get home tomorrow (I'm at my GFs, and my portable external is FW800 so I can't test on her PS3).
No rush at all. Thanks for your help!
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games