Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jab43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
my phone is jailbroken on 4.3.3. my dock will charge but won't let me transfer data and iTunes won't see it. I found a thread to tell me to erase all content and settings to remove jailbreak and take into apple to get it replace (its still under warranty).
After 4 hours the progress bar has not been filled at all. So i assume the process hasn't even started.
Any ideas unjailbreak it another way or fix this problem?

jab43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
my dock connection is broken. iTunes will not see my phone in regular working mode. so i can't restore via iTunes

----------

Clean your hosts file.
DFU restore.

clean the hosts file on the iPhone?
or iTunes host file?
will this speed up the erase all content and setting process?

Last edited:

jab43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Bring it to Apple, act like a dummy, and hopefully they will replace it.

i can bring it back from the apple and the progress bar screen with a hard reset. i need to break it or something so apple won't know its jail broke. i the the erase all content and settings would do the trick.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
You could maybe put it into DFU mode.
That won't erase it but Apple would have to use the dock to bring it out of DFU mode and when they can't maybe they'll replace it.

jab43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Apple seeing cydia or tweaks is that the only way to tell if its jailbroken? and with my dock connection broken?

----------

You could maybe put it into DFU mode.
That won't erase it but Apple would have to use the dock to bring it out of DFU mode and when they can't maybe they'll replace it.

i will try this. thanks.

jab43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
I tried putting it into dfu mode. it didn't work. i just hard reset it and it came back.

jab43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
i decided to use sbsettings and hide cydia and then remove sbsettings. i think that'll do the trick so apple won't know its jailbroken.

Annonymous

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
For future reference you could; Download openssh, ssh terminal, make a connection to your local machine(127.0.0.1). Then as root; cd into /var/lib/apt/lists Then rm -r any package, app, or repo... Even Cydia! BTW, you "might" need a few shell packages like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.