Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Final_Cut_Studio-500x232.jpg

Apple has put the previous version of its Final Cut Studio video editing suite back on sale after a mixed reception to the new and completely redesigned Final Cut X. We received word that Apple had issued a memo this afternoon announcing re-availability of the product.

We confirmed with an Apple telesales representative at 800-MY-APPLE that Final Cut Studio, part number MB642Z/A, is again available for $999, and $899 for educational customers. The product is only available through the 800-number and is not available in Apple Retail Stores or on the Apple Online Store.

Final Cut Studio is a comprehensive video editing package that includes Final Cut Pro 7, Motion 4, Soundtrack Pro 3, DVD Studio Pro 4, Color 1.5 and Compressor 3.5.

Article Link: Apple Puts Legacy Final Cut Pro Studio Back on Sale

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
This is both good and sad... I mean, are they just gonna leave Final Cut Pro X as it is? If so, what will the next version of Final Cut Pro be like?

Seo

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Cupertino, California
I believe this is how it should've been at launch. Introduce FCP X as replacement for Express, and keep FCP7 until they introduce all the features industry professionals actually need in FCP X. Would've avoided a lot of complaining.

bigtriece

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
They are dropping Logic as well

Well this does not surprise me given the negative feedback of Final Cut X.

Things do not look good for pro users given that Logic is likely to get dropped and replaced by Garageband Pro next year, it seems Apple are getting to complacent and negating the pro users.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I believe this is how it should've been at launch. Introduce FCP X as replacement for Express, and keep FCP7 until they introduce all the features industry professionals actually need in FCP X. Would've avoided a lot of complaining.

Yes. Apple made a mistake and has fixed it. Now there can be a smoother transition to a more complete FCP X product, which will eventually be the standard.

There should be no more need for comments after yours, but I'm sure this is going to just tailspin into another exhausting round of FCP X butthurt.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Good. It's nice to see Apple caving... could this be Tim's first real decision? Good show.

Final Cut X-press is just like QuickTime X-press... all the features that actually make it good were left on the cutting room floor, pun intended.

Bryan

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque

I agree 100%, but I am curious to read the "fanboy" take on this news.

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I really dislike iMovie, since leaving the video field I've been forced to use iMovie; how restrictive and unintuitive-how about a rerelease of fcpExpress? And, although Iam not a software thief, I wish I had burned a copy of the one I sold with my MBP!

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
They've promised 'regular' updates for Final Cut Pro X. 2 and a half months after release, and not a single update. Not really regular is it?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Good. It's nice to see Apple caving... could this be Tim's first real decision? Good show.

Final Cut X-press is just like QuickTime X-press... all the features that actually make it good were left on the cutting room floor, pun intended.

Bryan

Indeed, perhaps this is the very 1st sign of a certain persons stubbornness being changed into a very refreshing new era of actually listening to customers as opposed to telling them what they should do.

Hope to see more like this. Good times ahead I hope :)

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Well this does not surprise me given the negative feedback of Final Cut X.

Things do not look good for pro users given that Logic is likely to get dropped and replaced by Garageband Pro next year, it seems Apple are getting to complacent and negating the pro users.

"Likely"? According to who?

--

I really hope to see more of this back-pedalling from Apple to be honest, I still haven't got over the base-10 thing :rolleyes:.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Back Treading

Figured as much.

I had a feeling that this kinda stuff may happen. I don't know if it's since Steve left, but I hope that we see more of it.

Like, let's say, a certain 1U server model being brought back from the dead.

Last edited:

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Now that Steve Jobs isn't CEO, every time Apple makes a decision that appears to change the previous course, you always wonder if it's something that's different than what Steve would have done.

In any case, it's good that Apple is responding to complaints by making Final Cut Studio available again. Now if only FCPX will quickly see those promised updates adding back some features.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Indeed, perhaps this is the very 1st sign of a certain persons stubbornness being changed into a very refreshing new era of actually listening to customers as opposed to telling them what they should do.

Hope to see more like this. Good times ahead I hope :)

Yes, I'm wondering the same thing. Apple is hardly transparent as an organization. Who knows who influenced what decision?

I think Apple can move in the direction of transparency/responsiveness without sacrificing product quality or surprise at new products. It's not like saying, "You know, you're right! Let's put FC7 back on the shelves and get to work fixing these flaws!" ruins the iPad 3 launch or anything :cool:

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
So does this mean that possible future versions of OSX will also be shipped with a DVD version? Apple has seemed to change some of their stances regarding software, so I really hope this can be a reality.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
So where can I upgrade my FCP 6 to FCP 7?

There is no link! :confused:

See below:

We confirmed with an Apple telesales representative at 800-MY-APPLE that Final Cut Studio, part number MB642Z/A, is again available for $999, and $899 for educational customers. The product is only available through the 800-number and is not available in Apple Retail Stores or on the Apple Online Store.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Good! Too little too late for many, but I have noticed. If Apple continues like this, there's a chance I might make the switch to OS X... again.:rolleyes:

raymentj

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
Head in the clouds

Sometimes even giants here the little people if they yell loud and long enough...

ucantgetridofme

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Now that Steve Jobs isn't CEO, every time Apple makes a decision that appears to change the previous course, you always wonder if it's something that's different than what Steve would have done.

In any case, it's good that Apple is responding to complaints by making Final Cut Studio available again. Now if only FCPX will quickly see those promised updates adding back some features.

Jobs is such a control freak that he has to have the final weord as long as he's still alve. The decision was probably made weeks ago due to FCPX sucking so bad.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
I agree that this is how it should have been at launch since there's some important drivers and such missing for older work flows, but I do believe that FCPX will be the way everybody goes eventually once traditional transfers and tape rooms have been phased out. Make no mistake people FCPX IS a professional program it was just aimed at a different professional with a 100% digital work flow. After working with a post company I can understand how difficult it would be to make that switch. It would be like discontinuing a CD drive right after the first USB thumb drive has been introduced. That's the way everybody is going eventually, but we're still stuck on discs!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.