Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Would anyone care to recommend a password management app which is secure and "just works" which might make a reasonable alternative to what seems to be everyone's favorite? I find 1password's tariff a little steep.

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have not used it, but some here use Lastpass. What is missing from the OS X included Keychain for you?

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
try to wait it out ... 1Password often lets it's members gift licenses ... I know thanksgiving is one of those times

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Thanks, but

Good thought. But, unfortunately, I don't personally know anyone who uses 1Password. I just need an app that will generate secure, encrypted passwords, remember them, and enter them when I log into a site. I don't mind paying for that, but $40 is a little steep, I think. It's not like I'm a high roller, but I do have a couple of sites which contain sensitive information, and while I've never been attacked (that i know of), I'm beginning to worry about it. The usual stuff, I suppose. At the moment I rely on (drum roll) a small notebook in a desk drawer where I have it all written down. Not the most elegant solution, I'm sure you would agree.

Thanks,

imanidiot

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I tried 1password for a while and didn't care for it much. I like Lastpass better. It's free, cross-platform (Windows/OS X), and cross-browser (IE/Safari/Firefox/Chrome).

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It's hard to beat free, I'll admit, but as a long time 1Password user it's easily the best password manager I've used and worth every penny. I love the dropbox sync so my iPhone app is always up to date and vice versa. It's one of the few higher cost apps I actually bought.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
LastPass

Thanks for recommendation. As there has been three mentions, I'll give it a try. I trust cat people, BTW (SandboxGeneral). QuarterSwede, thanks to you as well. In fact, thanks to everyone who took the time to chime in. This is a wonderful place.

Thank you.

imanidiot

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I have LastPass. Works fine.

The only problem is that the Support can only be done by trouble ticket, there is no phone support. And the response time is EXTREMELY SLOW. Like, one response per day. So any problem where the issue is not resolved in one communication, back and forth communication takes days.

But, that said, problems are unusual, and it handles password stuff fine - and it's free.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Lastpass

For some reason, I can't download it. I click on download, then on install, and nothing. ? It's not anywhere. Maybe there's a reason why you pay for somethings, and others, not.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Do you see this button?

Screen Shot 2011-09-02 at 7.58.51 PM.png

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Even if you use that program keep an eye on 1password and see when they are doing the giveaway things. That is how I got it for free last year; a friend has it. Keep an eye on macrumors too. I thought there was a thread going on of requests for the share.

1Password is worth it for the price. But if you wait for the giveaways then it is beyond a great deal.

Love it and love that it syncs with the iOS. I actually got the iOS app for free when they first released it ti was free for a few weeks. I didn't have the desktop version but knew I was planning on getting it.

azxr

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2011
eWallet

I have 1password but don't used it. I was using it on my iPhone and MBP. I had been using eWallet a lot longer from the Windows days and have been using it for my iPhone and Win 7 machine. They now have a version for OSX (actually had it for a while) and I am going to grab a copy to start syncing between my iPhone and new MBP.

dcains

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2007
Well, after being persuaded by this thread, I installed 1Password on my systems last night. Damn thing doesn't work with Firefox 6.0.1, but does seem to work OK with Safari 5.1. Firefox is by far my browser of choice.

According the the agilebits.com site, it should work with Firefox 6.x/Lion, and troubleshooting the app and extension (as directed) yielded no result. Anyone else with this issue?

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I tried 1password for a while and didn't care for it much. I like Lastpass better. It's free, cross-platform (Windows/OS X), and cross-browser (IE/Safari/Firefox/Chrome).

For laptop/desktop use that is correct. However, LastPass requires a 1 dollar monthly fee to use the mobile app. 1Password's app is a onetime purchase(albeit more expensive)

@dcains-
try downloading one of the betas if you already haven't. Those are the very latest releases, and normally include support for more recent browsers

dcains

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2007
Thanks, but I've tried both the stable and beta versions with no success. Hopefully, agilebits will get their act together soon, as I'm looking forward to using 1P.

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
Well, after being persuaded by this thread, I installed 1Password on my systems last night. Damn thing doesn't work with Firefox 6.0.1, but does seem to work OK with Safari 5.1. Firefox is by far my browser of choice.

According the the agilebits.com site, it should work with Firefox 6.x/Lion, and troubleshooting the app and extension (as directed) yielded no result. Anyone else with this issue?

if your still interested, there is a new update, install, go into add ons in firefox, apply update and it works perfectly in f/f 6.0.1

dcains

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2007
if your still interested, there is a new update, install, go into add ons in firefox, apply update and it works perfectly in f/f 6.0.1

Thanks, but still not working here. With Firefox 6.0.1 I've tried both 3.8.2 and 3.8.3.b1 extensions, with no success, and the desktop version is Version 3.8.3 (build 31131). I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling both the extensions, and Firefox, too.

The latest Safari 5.1 extensions (stable and beta) are also buggy, as now whenever I open Safari the 1P user guide page opens in a tab (as if 1P just been reinstalled), along with the blank tab I want.

I guess I should have installed the free trial instead of just buying this package, which has been so well-reviewed, but I'm hopeful of fixes. Got the iPhone version, too, which I haven't used much, yet. I had purchased it a few years ago, back when it was only $1.99.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I use LastPass, because it is cross-platform (OSX, Windows, Linux). OnePassword looks more convenient to me, but the grass is always greener. ;)

There are also two iPhone/iPad apps LastPass, one is just the wallet, and the other is a browser.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
update

Thanks SandboxGeneral, I finally did see the icon in my browser menu, and figured it out. I simply hadn't noticed it (it was grayed-out). All is well, and I'm registered and stuff. Free is good, and thanks for the help.

imanidiot (my moniker is well-chosen, no?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.