Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 3, 2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Aardenon
macrumors newbie

Display hidden files/folders in Finder

Hi,

How can I display all hidden files and directories in Finder? I need to access /Users/<username>/Library/<something> but I can't see the Library folder. However if I try to create one with the same name, it says it is already in use.

Appreciate all help. Thanks.
PR.
Aardenon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2011, 09:29 AM   #2
cbronfman
macrumors Demi-God

In terminal - enter

chflags nohidden ~/Library

I think if you do chflags nohidden ~/ all hidden folders will be "not hidden."

See: http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/04/show-...mac-os-x-lion/
Old Sep 3, 2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Aardenon
macrumors newbie

Awesome, works. Thanks.
Aardenon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 08:30 PM   #4
JohnMacArts
macrumors newbie

another solution for hidden files

Download Text Wrangler - it's free. It has an option to open, view and edit hidden files. The advantage is you don't have to toggle on/off your hidden files. What if for example you set your mac to display hidden files and you cat should decide to take a walk on your keyboard somehow deleting a file
using an app to view and edit selectively is a more convenient and secure way of managing it. I don't work for Text Wrangler and I'm sure other programs will work, it's just what I use.
JohnMacArts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:41 AM   #5
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Thanks to cbronfman.

I knew there was a way in Lion but lost track then found it via search in this forum. One can find things if you take a few minutes to search!
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store