Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
clippings is an ivar declared as a pointer to an NSMutableArray.

Here's the code in -(void)viewWillAppear:(BOOL)animated
Code:
clippings = [[[[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] arrayForKey:@"clippings"] mutableCopy] retain];
if ([clippings count] == 0) [clippings addObject:[UIPasteboard generalPasteboard].string];
else [clippings insertObject:[UIPasteboard generalPasteboard].string atIndex:0];
NSLog(@"Added an object to clippings.");
NSLog(@"Number of clippings: %i", [clippings count]);

And the output that is logged is:
Added an object to clippings.
Number of clippings: 0

What am I doing wrong here? I know that [UIPasteboard generalPasteboard].string is not nil, because it's displaying what's on that paste board in a UILabel elsewhere in my program.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
You have initialized the mutable array, right?

... no...

I changed the line where I fetch it from the NSUserDefaults to this:
Code:
clippings = [[NSMutableArray arrayWithArray:[[[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] arrayForKey:@"clippings"] mutableCopy]] retain];

It works now... but it looks incredibly messy. Is there some single method that will do all this for me?

Last edited:

North Bronson

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
San José
It shouldn't be necessary to retain the mutable copy. The copy gives you ownership. The retain feels redundant and would require an extra release later.

I would just:

Code:
clippings = [[[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] arrayForKey: @"clippings"] mutableCopy];

if (clippings == nil)
{
    clippings = [[NSMutableArray alloc] init];
}

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I'd go with this:

Code:
[clippings addObjectsFromArray:[[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] arrayForKey: @"clippings"]];

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I'd go with this:

Code:
[clippings addObjectsFromArray:[[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] arrayForKey: @"clippings"]];

I like this a lot!

I changed it to this though:
Code:
clippings = [[NSMutableArray alloc] initWithArray:[[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] arrayForKey:@"clippings"]];

Just one line that is about as short and easy to read as the second line of your example. And the code runs flawlessly on device. :)

Last edited:

North Bronson

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
San José
One slight issue might be that certain objects in the Foundation framework will crash or fail if you try to initialize them with nil-values. For example, if you do something like:

Code:
NSString *file = nil;

NSArray *newArray = [[NSArray alloc] initWithContentsOfFile: file];

if (newArray)
{
    NSLog(@"good");

[newArray release];
}

your code will run, but the array will be a nil-value.

On the other hand, if you try something like:

Code:
NSString *string = nil;

NSURL *newURL = [[NSURL alloc] initWithString: string];

if (newURL)
{
    NSLog(@"good");

[newURL release];
}

your application will crash.

For those reasons, I would suggest it is good-form to fall into the habit of checking to see that objects are non-nil before passing them to Foundation's initWith. . . family of methods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.