Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c613m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
Need help with this. Since about a week or two ago, both my iMac and my Macbook Air refuse to quite iTunes, if I try to quit, the App seems to close and then bounces on the Dock and has the indicator light still open meaning it didn't close.

How can I resolve it? THe only way I have found is using Force Quit but I hate doing that to Apps when unnecessary.

At first I thought this may be because of Home Sharing, however, right now I'm at the In-laws with no devices linked to mine and my MacBook Air still won't close iTunes without a Force-Quit.

Everything on my Mac's are up-to date.

Any ideas?

treestar

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Force quit isn't going to break anything. Force quit works best when you do Command-Option-Escape. Sometimes it takes two tries. If it still doesn't work then quit the process in Activity Monitor.

c613m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
Force quit isn't going to break anything. Force quit works best when you do Command-Option-Escape. Sometimes it takes two tries. If it still doesn't work then quit the process in Activity Monitor.

Thanks, but I'm still not understanding why it won't quit to begin with. Permissions are repaired, everything works fine. But damn iTunes just won't quit if I tell it to!

There's gotta be something!

treestar

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah, it's really weird. Maybe it is organizing your library or maybe it is forcing open for Home Sharing. See if disabling Home Sharing will fix it. At least then you will know why.

c613m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, it's really weird. Maybe it is organizing your library or maybe it is forcing open for Home Sharing. See if disabling Home Sharing will fix it. At least then you will know why.

Still does it when Disabling Home Sharing. I'm really stumped. My iMac has the same issue at Home too. Not a big deal on the iMac since it's always on anyways. But I should be able to close Apps normally, especially iTunes!

treestar

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
I'm really sorry. Is there anything else you can think of? I would skim through all the iTunes preferences for a start, also check activity monitor to see if it has any utilities running in the background.

c613m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
I'm really sorry. Is there anything else you can think of? I would skim through all the iTunes preferences for a start, also check activity monitor to see if it has any utilities running in the background.

I think it's caused by the iTunes Store. When I'm in it and I try to quit, it does it. If I select Music from the sidebar it quits normally. Very strange, it may or may not be the cause. I'll definitely keep progress updated.

Thanks for your help and advice!

LA89

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
I had a similar issue and found that it was caused by being logged in to iTunes Store - just a quick sign out resolves the issue. I guess it is protection for your iTunes account.

Last edited:
Reactions: fiveandime
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.