Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FearTheD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
I've done a little research and if I'm not mistaken it is possible to use the iPhone 4 micro sim (with an adapter of course) on an Android phone. I also heard this has to be on an Android Dev Phone? and this is where my questions come in.

Does it HAVE to be on a dev phone? or can I use any AT&T android phone? and if I can, what are the steps I need to take for it to take the iPhone 4 sim, if any?

SBA

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
Assuming you have an AT&T sim card, it will work in any unlocked GSM phone or any other AT&T phone without issue.

If you have an iPhone plan on AT&T and put your sim card into one of their "4g" Android devices without changing your plan, you will get text messages / emails from AT&T reminding you to switch to one of their "4g" plans.

FearTheD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Assuming you have an AT&T sim card, it will work in any unlocked GSM phone or any other AT&T phone without issue.

If you have an iPhone plan on AT&T and put your sim card into one of their "4g" Android devices without changing your plan, you will get text messages / emails from AT&T reminding you to switch to one of their "4g" plans.

I have the grandfathered $30/month unlimited iPhone plan. And I have no intent on having it gone. Will that be a problem?

Last edited:

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

FearTheD said:

I have the grandfathered $30/month unlimited iPhone plan. And I have no intent on having it gone. Will that be a problem?

They will change ur contract if ur upgrading anything. If u start seeing txt messages about 4g or whatever, I would respond with a phone call right away to straighten it out. As long as u aren't doing anything illegal or are trying to steal a service, U r fine.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I'm not sure about the text messages.. But yes there are adapters. A Best Buy employee used a little adapter thingy to put my Micro SIM card into my Infuse. Worked fine.

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I was wondering about the same thing. I'd like to get the SGS2 when it comes out on AT&T but I'm grandfathered into the $30 unlimited and I don't want to give that up!
Currently using a factory unlocked iPhone 4.

FearTheD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They will change ur contract if ur upgrading anything. If u start seeing txt messages about 4g or whatever, I would respond with a phone call right away to straighten it out. As long as u aren't doing anything illegal or are trying to steal a service, U r fine.

I know that, but with my unlimited iPhone plan be changed if I call and say that I'm switching back and forth between the iPhone and the Inspire, for example.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I bought a Micro SD to SD Card adapter about two months ago. I have been testing out an HTC Inspire 4G also on AT&T. Switching back and forth between my iPhone 4 and the HTC phone every other day or so. The adapter is extremely simple and works well.

You will get a ton of text messages/emails saying "Hey, looks like you have a 4G phone please call us and setup a 4G plan for your new smartphone!".

Don't call them!

1. You can get HPSA+ signal without calling them up and setting up a 4G plan.
2. When I did call them and setup a diff. data plan for the 4G I had nothing but trouble with my iPhone 4. Resulting me in calling back and reverting everything back to what it as. Nothing but a pain!

Basically, don't call and tell them. Just keep iPhone data plan from my experience or else the iPhone won't work as it normally would.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I upgraded to an Atrix 4G back in March and was able to keep my unlimited data. They change the plan to something else, forget what it's called...maybe "smartphone data" or whatever...but definitely kept unlimited $30. And when I returned it at 30 days, my unlimited iPhone data plan was also reinstated.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
To sum it up:

Yes, you can just use a MicroSIM -> SIM adapter, and put it into another phone.

AT&T will send you texts regarding your data plan.

iPhones have specific data plans (iPhone Data Bundle, or something like that). If you switch to an Android phone, your iPhone plan will work, with warnings (But they're only that...warnings. Easy to ignore :p). If you switch to the Android plan, no harm done. Just know that when you switch back to your iPhone, you will have to switch to the iPhone plan. A regular data plan doesn't work with an iPhone (With ease at least).

Your grandfathered plan will stay. You won't lose it (But still, when they change your plan, make sure you inform them that you still want to keep the unlimited)

DIABLOW

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
You don't need the adapter to use the micro sim in Android phone. It works like a charm. I have use it in my spare nokia phone.

011bccdd.jpg

e6d9daf5.jpg

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
You don't need the adapter to use the micro sim in Android phone. It works like a charm. I have use it in my spare nokia phone.

Most Android phones do NOT have that kind of connector. That's a Nokia invention.

And to answer the main question, yes it works fine, I used a Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate) with my iPhone's SIM and everything worked perfectly.

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
To sum it up:

If you switch to the Android plan, no harm done. Just know that when you switch back to your iPhone, you will have to switch to the iPhone plan. A regular data plan doesn't work with an iPhone (With ease at least).

Your grandfathered plan will stay. You won't lose it (But still, when they change your plan, make sure you inform them that you still want to keep the unlimited)

So if I decide to go with a SGS 2 for a while I will still have unlimited data, since AT&T customer service can change it to the appropriate plan.

And if I decide to continue using my iphone 4 they will change my data plan back to unlimited iphone 4 data plan?

MasterTick

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
So if I decide to go with a SGS 2 for a while I will still have unlimited data, since AT&T customer service can change it to the appropriate plan.

And if I decide to continue using my iphone 4 they will change my data plan back to unlimited iphone 4 data plan?

You don't need to do anything, just put the sim in and go, I swap sims all the time with various phones and I still have my unlimited data.

FearTheD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
To sum it up:

Yes, you can just use a MicroSIM -> SIM adapter, and put it into another phone.

AT&T will send you texts regarding your data plan.

iPhones have specific data plans (iPhone Data Bundle, or something like that). If you switch to an Android phone, your iPhone plan will work, with warnings (But they're only that...warnings. Easy to ignore ). If you switch to the Android plan, no harm done. Just know that when you switch back to your iPhone, you will have to switch to the iPhone plan. A regular data plan doesn't work with an iPhone (With ease at least).

Sweet answer. However, I heard that if you go to a store and call them, they will change your plan from iPhone unlimited to Smartphone unlimited (not 100% sure on the name, but hopefully you know what I'm talking about). Now my question is, is that what you were referring to as far as the regular data plan that won't work well with my iPhone?

----------

I upgraded to an Atrix 4G back in March and was able to keep my unlimited data. They change the plan to something else, forget what it's called...maybe "smartphone data" or whatever...but definitely kept unlimited $30. And when I returned it at 30 days, my unlimited iPhone data plan was also reinstated.

Yes i heard that if you call or go to the store they change your plan from Unlimited iPhone data to something along the lines of Unlimited smartphone data. Did you try using your iPhone under the unlimited smartphone data plan before they switched you back to the iPhone one?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Sweet answer. However, I heard that if you go to a store and call them, they will change your plan from iPhone unlimited to Smartphone unlimited (not 100% sure on the name, but hopefully you know what I'm talking about). Now my question is, is that what you were referring to as far as the regular data plan that won't work well with my iPhone?

----------

Yes i heard that if you call or go to the store they change your plan from Unlimited iPhone data to something along the lines of Unlimited smartphone data. Did you try using your iPhone under the unlimited smartphone data plan before they switched you back to the iPhone one?

Yes, feel free to switch around. As long as you have the unlimited iPhone data plan, and you switch to the regular smartphone data plan (unlimited still), everything will work normal. Just know that the smartphone data plan (No matter what cap limit) will not work on iPhone. iPhone data plan WILL work with other phones, not vice versa. I used to do this when I switched from my iPhone to my Captivate (Galaxy S) around a year or so ago.

FearTheD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Yes, feel free to switch around. As long as you have the unlimited iPhone data plan, and you switch to the regular smartphone data plan (unlimited still), everything will work normal. Just know that the smartphone data plan (No matter what cap limit) will not work on iPhone. iPhone data plan WILL work with other phones, not vice versa. I used to do this when I switched from my iPhone to my Captivate (Galaxy S) around a year or so ago.

I see. Thanks a lot. I think what i will do is just use the iPhone data plan on the Inspire (which is what I plan on getting) for a little while and decide if I like it better than the iPhone. And if it turns out that I do, I'll switch the data plan to stop the texts and whatnot from coming in, unless there's another way.

Last edited:

FearTheD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Also, could anyone point me in the right direction of a good MicroSim adapter? I've heard that if you get not so good ones, constant swapping eventually catches up to it and it may damage your phone and/or your microsim.

FearTheD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Oh yes, and one more thing. Will I get 4g on the Inspire with the iPhone data plan? or will the max be 3g?

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

I'm using an iPhone 4 now and my data plan is smartphone personal. AT&T hasn't sent me any warnings and I haven't bothered to change it because I switch between the iPhone 4 and Atrix and my data works on both.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
Oh yes, and one more thing. Will I get 4g on the Inspire with the iPhone data plan? or will the max be 3g?

I put the iphone sim in an inspire. I immediately got 4G speeds. I did call a couple of days later to switch to the 4g data plan. Haven't tried going back to iphone yet. According to Matthew9559, the plan change isn't needed.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA

You'll get 4g.

LSUTigers, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You have to basically bypass the iPhone activation, IIRC to get the smartphone personal to work. (Jailbroken, unlocked?).

FearTheD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
I'm using an iPhone 4 now and my data plan is smartphone personal. AT&T hasn't sent me any warnings and I haven't bothered to change it because I switch between the iPhone 4 and Atrix and my data works on both.

Can you or anyone else who does this sim swapping point me in the direction of a good microsim adapter? i don't wanna do this and 3 swaps later break either phones or the microsim cuz i don't get a good enough adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.