Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Sep 4, 2011, 01:06 PM   #1
definitive
macrumors 65816

Trash keeps asking me for a password.

Started up the computer today, and tried dragging a file to trash can. Suddenly it asked me for admin password. After I typed it in, the file was automatically deleted. Is there a way to "fix" this to the usual way the files are treated when they're moved to trash?
definitive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Watabou
macrumors 68020

Sounds like a permissions problem to me.

You can run a permissions repair from Disk Utility or :

You can just open up Finder press Shift+Command+G and it should bring up the Go to Folder dialog. Enter this in: "~/.Trash" without the quotes and then click Go.

Now go to File->Get Info and then scroll down to the bottom when it says Sharing and Permissions. Look for your name. If it says "Read Only", then click on the little lock at the bottom, enter your password and then change it to "Read and Write". I think that will fix it.
Watabou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:02 AM   #3
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watabou View Post
Sounds like a permissions problem to me.

You can run a permissions repair from Disk Utility or :

You can just open up Finder press Shift+Command+G and it should bring up the Go to Folder dialog. Enter this in: "~/.Trash" without the quotes and then click Go.

Now go to File->Get Info and then scroll down to the bottom when it says Sharing and Permissions. Look for your name. If it says "Read Only", then click on the little lock at the bottom, enter your password and then change it to "Read and Write". I think that will fix it.
Whenever I try that command, it tells me that I can't go to the folder because I do not have permission to see it's contents. How do I fix that?

EDIT: Just found this forum and one of the longer posts fixed my problem!
strausd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion