Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orkyz!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I have had my jailbroken iPhone 4 for about a year now, and it had been running smoothly until it just got stuck on recovery mode yesterday. I tried the hold power button and home button thingy but it didn't work. I tried tiny umbrella and it didn't work. iTunes doesn't even recognise my phone's name! It doesn't give me an option for me to restore from a backup! I tried restoring but even that failed. It says The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1013).
Please help!

Fulaeetoy

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Your current firmware? Last thing you do when your phone goes to recovery mode?

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
I have had my jailbroken iPhone 4 for about a year now, and it had been running smoothly until it just got stuck on recovery mode yesterday. I tried the hold power button and home button thingy but it didn't work. I tried tiny umbrella and it didn't work. iTunes doesn't even recognise my phone's name! It doesn't give me an option for me to restore from a backup! I tried restoring but even that failed. It says The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1013).
Please help!

This is why I don't jailbreak. :rolleyes:

Other than checking you've got the latest version of iTunes and trying a restore, I think you might be out of options.

ManBearWaffle

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
If you're on a Mac, do the following:

Open Terminal
Type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" without quotes, of course
Type in your password
Put a # in front of the IP addresses for gs.apple.com
Press CTRL + O to save and then CTRL + X to exit

Now, restore your iPhone.

orkyz!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I'm not on a mac :(
I updated iTunes and tried to restore my iPhone again but it didn't work.

mindyish

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2011
Not sure what you were doing when it went into recovery mode as you didn't include that in your post but I recently had this issue and was able to fix it with tinyumbrella recovery loop fix :

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Download it from there.

It may give you an error when you try and run it depending on if you are on mac or pc and such. The error will say you are missing a zlib.dll file. You can download that from here:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?zlib1

I didn't trust saving directly into my system folder but you have to put it directly in the same folder as the program that needs it (after unzip) and it should run then because the program will try and locate this dll on its own.

This worked for me getting out of recovery and itunes wouldnt let me restore.

piethingy

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2013
Thank You

ManBearWaffle your solution was the only thing that worked for me Thank You
:):):):):):)

----------

Thank you so much

Open Terminal
Type in your password

rociogzzs

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
ManBearWaffle your solution was the only thing that worked for me Thank You
:):):):):):)

----------

Thank you so much

---------

What password did you insert? the one of your Mac or your iphone's password???? :(

----------

Open Terminal
Type in your password

---------

I did everything but when y try to CTRL + X (to exit) the window doesn't close. =( I don't know what to do!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
If you are stuck in Recovery loop you should try the recovery loop fix in redsn0w. And if that don't work try the one in iREB.

sha4000

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
Not sure what you were doing when it went into recovery mode as you didn't include that in your post but I recently had this issue and was able to fix it with tinyumbrella recovery loop fix :

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Download it from there.

It may give you an error when you try and run it depending on if you are on mac or pc and such. The error will say you are missing a zlib.dll file. You can download that from here:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?zlib1

I didn't trust saving directly into my system folder but you have to put it directly in the same folder as the program that needs it (after unzip) and it should run then because the program will try and locate this dll on its own.

This worked for me getting out of recovery and itunes wouldnt let me restore.

This worked for me. My sons 4 battery died so I ordered one from Amazon but when I installed it the thing was on recovery mode. I guess from me holding power and home so many times to see if it would boot up before I figured out the battery was gone. Anyway I downloaded Tinyumbrella and kicked it right out of recovery mode. Thanks for the post.

Jonathaange

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2015
Altogether there are four steps to kick iPhone out of recovery mode.
Get the data cable out of your computer then turn off your iPhone.

Long press "Home" button until you have your iPhone connected to the computer with the data cable. Then release the "Home"button.

Now you iPhone has entered recovery mode smoothly.

Then choose both the "Home" and "Power" button at the same time until you see a "white apple" logo on the screen. Then you can exit the recovery mode.
Hope it helps. I fix iPhone stuck in recovery mode with this method and it worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.