Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Hey guys.

I've got a June 2004 dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 here. I've had it several months and it came with the 128MB Radeon 9600 XT graphics card.

I like to do a bit of gaming (on a PPC Mac, ha), and this card doesn't really cut it - struggles to play games like Doom 3 and Quake 4 on any settings, even UT2004 it struggles with.

Now, I've found a 256MB Geforce 6800 Ultra on sale for about $135 (used) which looks like a decent price, especially given I intend on this Power Mac being my primary computer for the foreseeable future.

Problem is, I get the feeling (from online reports and my own testing) that a lot of games like UT2004 and Quake 4 are very CPU-bound, and if I'm not going to see a good performance boost I don't want to waste my money. Barefeats seems to have a lot of benchmarks, but they don't seem to have any high-end GPUs in the lower clocked G5 Macs.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Perhaps sell the dual 1.8 and buy a dual core 2.3 or quad? You can put a 512mb geforce 7800gtx, best for your gaming.
Out of my price range unfortunately - I've only got about $140, and I was browsing eBay and happened to see the nicely priced 6800. Otherwise I'd probably just save up to eventually get a Mac Pro.

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
Your limiting factor is your CPU which we cannot do anything about it.

Yes,but a new video card will still make it move faster i know because i got a new video card for my dual G5 1.8GHz because my old vid card quit on me. i do not recall what video card it is but i know it was better then the stock vid card. it moved 2x faster with the new video card (and ram) when i get it out of storge i will look at what card it has :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.