Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, several Best Buy-related tips surfaced in connection with Apple. One of those tips came in the form of a new "Apple Fixture Installation" scheduled for October 21st that some have speculated could be related to the launch of the new iPhone.

best_buy_ipad_cart.jpg

We have heard from several of our Best Buy sources, however, that this is not the case. The "C2 end display" cited in the calendar listing is the location of Best Buy's iPad display, and updates to this display are fairly routine with new promotional materials or other layout changes. We have heard that Best Buy may be planning to enlarge these "endcap" displays with this event to be able to display more iPad units.

Consequently, this specific retail refresh is not linked to the iPhone. Reports have continued to suggest that Apple is planning for an iPhone release a bit earlier in the month, with the company's usual Friday release date meaning October 7th or 14th would be most likely.

Article Link: Best Buy's October 21st 'Apple Fixture Installation' Debunked as iPhone Launch

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Why is the word "endcap" in quotes? It's a real word, meaning...the display on the end of an aisle. :rolleyes:

SteinyD

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
My gut tells me that Apple is going to release the iPhone on or about the date they are ready to release it. I mean, really. This is not a life changing event. It's 'just a phone' ;)

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
...that just means they're getting new promo displays for iOS 5.

Therefore iOS 5 will be released on/before October 21.

End of story.

dewski

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
...that just means they're getting new promo displays for iOS 5.

Therefore iOS 5 will be released on/before October 21.

End of story.

^^^this^^^

it has to be an IOS5 signage.
best buy is always a week or two behind with displays and signage

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
This is really agonizing. All this speculation and suspense is putting me through it! I hope that by 10am PST :apple: decides to grace us (media outlets, rather) with event invites. I'M READY!!!!

DaREdBaRoN

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2009
Illinois
You're all going to be disappointed. Best Buy has no insider knowledge of iOS 5 or the new iPhone. What that update is for is new signage talking about the $100 off offer when you sign up for an air card or mifi device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.