Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 6, 2011, 05:06 PM   #1
andrewprime1
macrumors newbie

Unlock iPhone to work with AT&T SIM Card

Some background:
I know this is a topic of much discussion, but I searched and couldn't find an exact answer to my question. I have an iPhone 3g (which I pay for a data fee on) that I love. My Dad would really like an iPhone as well, but can't afford the $30.

The question:
I have an extra 3g that I got from a friend, could I jailbreak and unlock it to work with my Dad's SIM card?

I was thinking I would put my SIM card into the extra iPhone, Jailbreak it, unlock it and use his SIM. Can it be done? I dont see why it can't, but I haven't found evidence to support this.
andrewprime1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

You don't need to jb or unlock it to use a US iPhone with any AT&T sim.
But if he's on post paid account they will eventually add the mandatory iPhone data plan to his account.
The available data packages are $25 and $15 per month.
No way around that unless he uses a prepaid gophone sim.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 05:31 PM   #3
andrewprime1
macrumors newbie

Hmm, so you are saying that he would need to be using a prepaid SIM card in order to avoid the data charges? Even if I unlocked it it would still require a prepaid SIM?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 05:34 PM   #4
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewprime1 View Post
Hmm, so you are saying that he would need to be using a prepaid SIM card in order to avoid the data charges? Even if I unlocked it it would still require a prepaid SIM?
Yes. AT&T will detect the iPhone's IMEI sooner or later and add the data plan to your account. The ONLY way around this is to use a prepaid SIM.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 07:11 PM   #5
sbddude
macrumors 6502a

is he currently using a non-smartphone? If so, leave the SIM card in that phone, ask AT&T to put a DATA BLOCK on his account. They might try to warn you that MMS won't work, that's OK.

Once the data block is on there, THEN put the SIM card in the iphone 3G. You may get by for a while this way. if they add the data plan, put the SIM back in the dumbphone and repeat the process.
sbddude is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 08:16 PM   #6
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
The SIMs are the same ... its just dependent on the plan you use it on (post paid vs pre paid).
Old Sep 6, 2011, 08:22 PM   #7
aneftp
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbddude View Post
is he currently using a non-smartphone? If so, leave the SIM card in that phone, ask AT&T to put a DATA BLOCK on his account. They might try to warn you that MMS won't work, that's OK.

Once the data block is on there, THEN put the SIM card in the iphone 3G. You may get by for a while this way. if they add the data plan, put the SIM back in the dumbphone and repeat the process.
ATT will add back the data plan almost immediately. It will become a cat and mouse game with constant calls to customer service to switch back and forth between no data and automatic data plan addition.

Not recommended.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 08:34 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Yes.
You can't unlock a phone that already accepts AT&T sims.
You unlock it to use other non AT&T carrier sims.
And yes AT&T will detect it on their system and send u a text that the iPhone data has been added.
It's been like that for over a year now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
ATT will add back the data plan almost immediately. It will become a cat and mouse game with constant calls to customer service to switch back and forth between no data and automatic data plan addition.

Not recommended.
I agree.
What he said above doesn't work.
After a while they will get sick of you and won't remove it if you keep doing it every week.
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 09:11 PM   #9
andrewprime1
macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, good to know.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone