Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
That'd be great if you could use it for finder, iTunes, and such. I dont get why it's Safari only.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Two finger scrolling is system wide ... is that not what you're referring to?

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I mean swiping to go "forward" and "back". Say you were searching for something in finder and had to go through multiple sub folders to get there, it'd be nice to be able to swipe to go back. It'd also be great in the iTunes store.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Sorry, I should've been more clear. I mean swiping to go "forward" and "back". Say you were searching for something in finder and had to go through multiple sub folders to get there, it'd be nice to be able to swipe to go back. It'd also be great in the iTunes store.
Ah yes. Agreed. Hopefully that'll come in an update.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
:confused:what are you guys talking about? I can "three finger swipe" forwards and backwards in itues, finder and anything else:eek:

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Download better touch tool and enable and manyore missing gestures.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
:confused:what are you guys talking about? I can "three finger swipe" forwards and backwards in itues, finder and anything else:eek:

I have 3 finger dragging turned on but I don't know how that would affect two finger swiping. Are you sure? Go to iTunes and click a few things and try swiping back. I don't believe you can.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I have 3 finger dragging turned on but I don't know how that would affect two finger swiping. Are you sure? Go to iTunes and click a few things and try swiping back. I don't believe you can.

Lol I went to go try and enable that 3 finger drag but I forgot I'm running W7. I'll see how that works out and check if I like it more than clicking/dragging.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Lol I went to go try and enable that 3 finger drag but I forgot I'm running W7. I'll see how that works out and check if I like it more than clicking/dragging.

On the 11" trackpad it's a no choice for me, click and holding the trackpad down to move things around just doesn't work well. I tend to "let go" of the button.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
On the 11" trackpad it's a no choice for me, click and holding the trackpad down to move things around just doesn't work well. I tend to "let go" of the button.

There is a dead-spot at the bottom 1/4th of the trackpad right? In the 11 inch? You click with your thumb there and move your finger to move the item.

At first I didn't know that and loved using the last gen MB with the physical clicker, but after I realized the deadspot and the ability to drag that way, it works flawlessly.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011

yep I dont have that 3 finger drag turned on and I can use my 3 finger swipe to go forwards and backwards in finder, itunes, iphoto and whatever...

godzilla1200

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2011
A lot of stuff in Lion lost their "nativeness" across the OS. Scrolling, Spaces, Exposé, etc. Apple really messed up this OS. I am 100% of OSX and wouldn't go back to a PC, but seriously, Apple devs made horrible decisions this time.

On topic, I had to go back to three fingers swipe because of that reason. I use a lot the back and forward swipe in Finder, and I rather have that, than two fingers swipe in Safari.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Why would having 3 finger dragging turn this feature off? Because when you turn 3 finger drag on, it switches swiping left and right to 2 fingers automatically. So why can't I 2 finger swipe within the OS... makes no sense.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Yeah Apple really screwed this up. I really couldn't believe they messed up something so great.

2 finger swipe? Not even system-wide? 3 finger swiping in Snow Leapord was amazing. I realize I can still have it, but Apple has it turned off by default, which sucks for new users.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
If you have "Three finger drag" enabled, you can use four fingers while holding down the alt(option)-key to go back and forward in Finder, iTunes, iPhoto, Mail etc.

Last edited:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
How complicated.

I guess. But for two finger swiping functionality the way it's implemented in Safari, with pre-rendered views and sliding animations etc., to work system-wide, you need to have support from individual applications. The system can't just force an existing app to work this way.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I guess. But for two finger swiping functionality the way it's implemented in Safari, with pre-rendered views and sliding animations etc., to work system-wide, you need to have support from individual applications. The system can't just force an existing app to work this way.

I don't care about the effects, I just want the functionality. Since two0finger swiping does nothing in the system how hard could it be to assign 4-swipe+alt to do this. I'm no dev but it just doesn't make sense.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Well, I use the two-finger swipe in Safari and the old three finger swipe in everything else. It works just fine, but it is a tad inelegant to have different gestures for the same functionality in different applications.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Well, I use the two-finger swipe in Safari and the old three finger swipe in everything else. It works just fine, but it is a tad inelegant to have different gestures for the same functionality in different applications.

I just can't see myself using click and drag instead of 3 finger dragging, it's very complicating with no dedicated clicker.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
That's scrolling, not swiping. And Safari can handle scrolling and swiping...?

It's the exact same gesture. Safari can handle that because it's been programmed to differentiate between scrolling and swiping. Web pages also usually don't need to be scrolled horizontally by a whole lot if at all. I'm not saying it isn't possible for other apps to implement Safari's behavior, but it can take a fair amount of work and I'd rather have Apple really think it through instead of providing a half-assed solution just for the sake of superficial consistency.

Speaking of half-assed solutions. iCal's animations when browsing through months or years with a two-finger swipe seem really annoying to me. Especially since you have to wait for each individual animation to be finished before you're able to perform another swipe gesture.

Last edited:

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
I would say the best option is to turn off 3 finger drag and use 3 fingers swipes for Fwd/Rev across the whole system.

I can imagine 2 finger swipes in safari must get confused with sideways scrolling when/if you pinched/zoomed right into a web page?

Actually the best option is to turn off all 3&4 finger gestures in System Prefs and dowload 'Bettertouchtool' . Then you can have pretty much any gesture you like do anything you like . Done!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.