Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:07 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Saks Window Display Features 64 iPads and 18 Apple Monitors

Apple isn't the only retailer to put iPads in its window displays. Saks Fifth Avenue also has a window full of iPads, though not to advertise the tablet. Instead, the company is using iPads and Apple Cinema Displays to promote haute couture.

Saks has partnered with Stylist.com to celebrate Fashion's Night Out with the unique window display at its flagship Fifth Avenue location, just up the street from Apple's Fifth Ave. cube.

The window displays, designed, developed and built by Gin Lane Media, feature 64 iPad 2s in one center window, and nine Cinema Displays in each of two side windows. The company wrote custom software for the installation, and Dan Kenger, Digital Creative Director for Gin Lane says that the iPads are linked together via a local network. "We are able to get all the iPads to talk to each other as well as perfect the timing to produce elegant fades and control what device should display what."

Hat tip to The Loop.

Article Link: Saks Window Display Features 64 iPads and 18 Apple Monitors
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:10 PM   #2
BC2009
macrumors 68000

So I guess they won't sell you a display unit.
BC2009 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:13 PM   #3
FrizzleFryBen
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What a waste
FrizzleFryBen is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:14 PM   #4
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

I guess that's one way to promote "haute couture." But there would have been much cheaper options to accomplish the same thing. Still, technically it's pretty neat.
jayducharme is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:17 PM   #5
Zedcars
macrumors member

I don't get it. What's the advantage of this compared to a big a$$ LCD screen connected to a computer? It's cheaper, and you don't get all those black lines breaking up the image. Even if you wanted the black lines for artistic reasons, you could still do that easily in graphics program.
Zedcars is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:20 PM   #6
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Obviously you don't get it. The public affinity for the iPad transferee to the image it displays. Do you also criticize the dress the hot girl is wearing when she says hello to you?
CFreymarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

They just wanna tell Macy's:
"If you don't have 64 iPads, well, you don't have 64 iPads."

Last edited by Caliber26; Sep 7, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
Caliber26 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:23 PM   #8
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

What a waste, and looks terrible. The Cinema Display arrangement isn't bad, but the iPad one just looks awful.
Kilamite is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:26 PM   #9
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

I have an odd feeling that some of those items will be "misplaced" by the employees. Even with the security camera overhead, I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries a smash and grab on that stuff
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:27 PM   #10
colmaclean
macrumors 68000

Daft idea, why not just get one big display and put a grid of black tape over it?
colmaclean is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:29 PM   #11
macrumorsuser10
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
I guess that's one way to promote "haute couture." But there would have been much cheaper options to accomplish the same thing. Still, technically it's pretty neat.
That is exactly the point of this display. This is Saks Fifth Avenue selling haute couture merchandise. The fact that they are using iPads conveys that they are hip to current technology and that they have money to spend on an extravagant display like this.
macrumorsuser10 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:31 PM   #12
Sodner
macrumors 68000

I hope those windows are thick!
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:36 PM   #13
rockman2023
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to rockman2023
I know the Flash guy who worked on this. He's really proud of the accomplishment.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:37 PM   #14
defeater
macrumors newbie

sweet unoriginal idea. these guys did the same thing well over a year ago
defeater is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:40 PM   #15
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrumorsuser10 View Post
That is exactly the point of this display. This is Saks Fifth Avenue selling haute couture merchandise. The fact that they are using iPads conveys that they are hip to current technology and that they have money to spend on an extravagant display like this.
This ^^^

Hit it right on the button.

Image over content.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:46 PM   #16
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmaclean View Post
Daft idea, why not just get one big display and put a grid of black tape over it?
Because that's something that not even Target would do. This isn't about practicality, nor simplicity. Hell, they could've achieved the same effect, buying 64 Samsung Galaxy Tablets, and saved themselves a big chunk of change. But that's not the point. It's about pairing the best with the best. (no, I'm not a crazy "fanboy")

The REAL message here is:
"If Apple sold clothes, they'd be us."

Last edited by Caliber26; Sep 7, 2011 at 03:54 PM.
Caliber26 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:13 PM   #17
Wilson1313
macrumors member

64 iPads???

Really... I wonder if they are iPads or something more similar so the new advertising iPad-like devices in Apple stores.
Wilson1313 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:16 PM   #18
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber26 View Post
Because that's something that not even Target would do. This isn't about practicality, nor simplicity. Hell, they could've achieved the same effect, buying 64 Samsung Galaxy Tablets, and saved themselves a big chunk of change. But that's not the point. It's about pairing the best with the best. (no, I'm not a crazy "fanboy")

HP, Dell and others would die for this sort of exposure and cachet.

This is just another notch in Apple's "high fashion" belt, which is quite an important level of mindshare. Normally consumer tech wouldn't fit in this area, but Apple certainly manages to.

Imagine Saks helping build your brand? That sort of advertising (to that segment of the market) is hugely significant.
*LTD* is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:18 PM   #19
Hemingray
macrumors 68030

Um... nevermind, the post I was replying to got deleted apparently.

I am a little confused as to why they would choose a technology medium such as this for clothing. I understand the whole "haute couture" take, but price is pretty much where the similarities end. Oh well, to each his own I suppose.
Hemingray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:20 PM   #20
Corax
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Corax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber26 View Post

The Galaxy Tab is NOT cheaper.
Corax is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:33 PM   #21
marksman
Banned

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrumorsuser10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
Also using one big screen does not get them the free publicity this gets them
marksman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:34 PM   #22
Obi-Wan Kubrick
macrumors regular

I can understand why they did it seeing as Apple is king and so is the iPad and so to advertise with them is a good idea in theory. However, I'm sure the rich people (older) that shop here could care less about gadgets such as the iPad.
Obi-Wan Kubrick is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:54 PM   #23
GoodWatch
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblack875 View Post
Wow, i guess someone was bound to post this. A business spends its money on itself, not others, thats how it works. There's charities built for your specific gripe, so stop looking down on companies for spending money they have made on themselves.
Thank you for understanding. Sorry for bringing this trivial matter up. Enjoy using your iPad. Have a nice day!
Goodbye everybody - I've got to go
GoodWatch is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 05:00 PM   #24
backinblack875
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to backinblack875
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodWatch View Post
Thank you for understanding. Sorry for bringing this trivial matter up. Enjoy using your iPad. Have a nice day!
never said it was trivial, nice way of debating though, putting words into my mouth.

A business has no obligation to spend it's money that IT HAS MADE, THE PURPOSE OF A BUSINESS, on anything other than the company itself to better itself.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 05:10 PM   #25
GoodWatch
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblack875 View Post
never said it was trivial, nice way of debating though, putting words into my mouth.

A business has no obligation to spend it's money that IT HAS MADE, THE PURPOSE OF A BUSINESS, on anything other than the company itself to better itself.
Yes, it's all about money, isn't it? This has nothing to do with Saks my friend, nothing at all. I won't bother you any more. But have you looked at the picture at all? Don't answer, as I will not reply. Or won't be able to reply. I hope you like your new iPhone 5.
Goodbye everybody - I've got to go
GoodWatch is offline   -2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion