Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hello,
I currently have a 27in iMac that is going to be sold on ebay and i plan on purchasing a macbook. Could you tell me how to take the entire contents of my hard drive (itunes, documents, photos, movies) and put it on an external hard drive? Then, when my new macbook comes in the mail how to put it all back onto the new macbook. I am running the Lion OS and i was also curious if i could transfer the Microsoft Office suit i put on my iMac on to my macbook too. Help!

Thanks so much,
Eric M Goetsch

On your iMac there is something called "Time Machine", the icon looks like this:

Someone posted this a while ago and when I was writing this up it was no longer in the forums. So incase they want to know again I've written this up. Hope this helps someone out there :)

It will be in your applications folder. Click on the icon and you will be greeted with this:

Click on and this window will pop up:

Make sure you turn time machine on. Where it says "Select Disk" point it to your external hard drive. It should start to back up all your data and be on your external HD. When you get your new macbook in the beginning of the setup process it will ask you if you have a time machine backup or something of that nature. Click on that and your computer should put everything from your external HD to your macbook HD. Hope this wasn't confusing at all; and hope it helps a little :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.