Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:50 AM   #1
basslady
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
How can i tell if my iphone 4 has been hacked into?

Here is the situation.....a friend of mine is in a bad marriage. She found out her husband bugged her laptop and her phone and is finding out all of her conversations. The other day, we were all at a buffet restaurant and he was sitting at the table with us, without thinking anything of it, I left my purse with my phone at the table while all but him went up to the bar. Later on that night, I was in the car with another friend and we were talking in detail about our friends situation. The next day my friend whom I was talking to in the car, checked her answering machine, and our conversation was on her machine. I checked my call log AND detailed billing from AT&T thinking I may have butt dialed her house, but there is no record of me calling her house. The same with her, she as no record of calling her house and her home phone does not have caller ID. This guy is very tech savy and is the manager of 4 AT&T stores. Is it possible for him to have hacked into my phone and put some sort of bug in it? If this is possible, is it also possible for my phone to be able to record our conversation without a call being placed? If it is possible, how can I tell if my phone has been hacked?
Thanks
basslady is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
You're paranoid.
You just butt dialed your home.
You cant hack/JB an iphone that easy and install that type of spyware.
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 01:13 PM   #3
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
You're paranoid.
You just butt dialed your home.
You cant hack/JB an iphone that easy and install that type of spyware.
While I tend to agree with Applejuiced on this one--pretty sure he'd need a computer on hand and a lot more time to pull something like that off--if you're that concerned, plug your phone into iTunes and restore as new. If you're truly worried, Erase All Contents and then restore as new.

Just be aware that you will lose EVERYTHING doing either of those methods.

You could in theory restore from a previous backup that dated from before the incident, but *if* there were anything on there, it *might* survive that. It shouldn't survive a complete new setup.

Honestly, it's so profoundly unlikely that I wouldn't bother. But it is an option if you're that certain he did something.

And don't EVER leave your purse with anyone you can't trust. You're lucky he didn't take your credit card numbers.
__________________
iPhone 5, 6.1 JB; iPhone 4/5.0.1 JB; iPad Mini/6.1.2 JB; iPad 1/4.3.3 JB; still bootable Mac+ in the basement
IrishVixen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 01:40 PM   #4
basslady
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Ok...thanks. Puts my mind to ease...wasn't sure what type of technology is out there, and if it were possible to do so without a laptop.




Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishVixen View Post
While I tend to agree with Applejuiced on this one--pretty sure he'd need a computer on hand and a lot more time to pull something like that off--if you're that concerned, plug your phone into iTunes and restore as new. If you're truly worried, Erase All Contents and then restore as new.

Just be aware that you will lose EVERYTHING doing either of those methods.

You could in theory restore from a previous backup that dated from before the incident, but *if* there were anything on there, it *might* survive that. It shouldn't survive a complete new setup.

Honestly, it's so profoundly unlikely that I wouldn't bother. But it is an option if you're that certain he did something.

And don't EVER leave your purse with anyone you can't trust. You're lucky he didn't take your credit card numbers.
basslady is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Wow, you are using an iphone and you don't even put a password protect on it? If you do, then he can't even get pass by this screen. If don't, it is time for you to create one to protect you in case someone snap your phone while you leave your phone on the table again.
Crystal-RX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 02:23 PM   #6
killerrobot
macrumors 68020
 
killerrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1
It's quite surprising how many times I've been "butt-dialed", "pocket-dialed" and "purse-dialed" from people using iPhones.

As a rule of thumb, I have now started to press the power button to deactivate the screen before I put it into my pocket.
__________________
Another day older and deeper in debt.
killerrobot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 04:15 PM   #7
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by basslady View Post
Here is the situation.....a friend of mine is in a bad marriage. She found out her husband bugged her laptop and her phone and is finding out all of her conversations. The other day, we were all at a buffet restaurant and he was sitting at the table with us, without thinking anything of it, I left my purse with my phone at the table while all but him went up to the bar. Later on that night, I was in the car with another friend and we were talking in detail about our friends situation. The next day my friend whom I was talking to in the car, checked her answering machine, and our conversation was on her machine. I checked my call log AND detailed billing from AT&T thinking I may have butt dialed her house, but there is no record of me calling her house. The same with her, she as no record of calling her house and her home phone does not have caller ID. This guy is very tech savy and is the manager of 4 AT&T stores. Is it possible for him to have hacked into my phone and put some sort of bug in it? If this is possible, is it also possible for my phone to be able to record our conversation without a call being placed? If it is possible, how can I tell if my phone has been hacked?
Thanks
If you didn't call her and she didn't call you, how was there a conversation to record?
heisenberg123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:25 PM   #8
basslady
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post
If you didn't call her and she didn't call you, how was there a conversation to record?
That is what I can't figure out!!! But our conversation was most definitively on her answering machine!!!!
basslady is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 11:13 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basslady View Post
That is what I can't figure out!!! But our conversation was most definitively on her answering machine!!!!
So what does that mean? That dude somehow hacked your phone and for some weird reason recorded your conversation in the car on your friends answering machine? Why would he do that?
Take the tinfoil hat off
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 11:31 PM   #10
gngan
macrumors 68000
 
gngan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MacWorld
I believe the technology do exist but i doubt normal people will be able to do that. It's like FBI or CIA is able to record the stuff you say with your phone without you calling. It's just like a voice recorder but with your phone and without you knowing. As long as the phone is on then it should be able to do that.
__________________
2011 13''MBP i5 Dual HDD (128GB SSD+1TB HDD)+8gb RAM; iPhone 5S, iPod Nano 6th gen; iPod Nano 3rd gen; iPod Wheel; iPad 2 64gb 3G+Wifi; Airport Extreme/Express; Synology 4tb +WD 2tb; Canon 5D MKIII
gngan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:45 AM   #11
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030
 
Crystal-RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gngan View Post
I believe the technology do exist but i doubt normal people will be able to do that. It's like FBI or CIA is able to record the stuff you say with your phone without you calling. It's just like a voice recorder but with your phone and without you knowing. As long as the phone is on then it should be able to do that.
Now, you really make OP paranoid. She might end up throwing her phone into the toilet.
Crystal-RX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:02 AM   #12
dave420
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by basslady View Post
That is what I can't figure out!!! But our conversation was most definitively on her answering machine!!!!
Maybe there was something else in the car recording your conversation?
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:35 AM   #13
gngan
macrumors 68000
 
gngan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MacWorld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal-RX View Post
Now, you really make OP paranoid. She might end up throwing her phone into the toilet.
oops. I am enjoying this. lol

There's no hiding nowadays. "Security" cameras are everywhere. The moment you use your credit card/debit card, cellphone, landline, internet you expose yourself.
__________________
2011 13''MBP i5 Dual HDD (128GB SSD+1TB HDD)+8gb RAM; iPhone 5S, iPod Nano 6th gen; iPod Nano 3rd gen; iPod Wheel; iPad 2 64gb 3G+Wifi; Airport Extreme/Express; Synology 4tb +WD 2tb; Canon 5D MKIII
gngan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:57 PM   #14
basslady
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
So what does that mean? That dude somehow hacked your phone and for some weird reason recorded your conversation in the car on your friends answering machine? Why would he do that?
Take the tinfoil hat off

But I "LIKE" my tin foil hat, thank you!! I don't know, the guy is very manipulative.....I was just wondering if the technology was out there for someone in his position as manager of AT&T stores. Wouldn't have thought anything of it, except neither of our phones or billing showed that we placed a call to her house....and for the fact that he already bugged my friends phone.
basslady is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:23 AM   #15
PhazeII
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
You and flow are paranoid....
__________________
"Sent to you slowly on T-Mobile’s EDGE"
PhazeII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:09 AM   #16
LoLife
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reno, NV
Sounds like a will smith movie to me
LoLife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:22 AM   #17
Synergie
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
If someone was going to record conversations... wouldn't he have it sent to his OWN answering machine and not hers??? (or at least somewhere private that he had access to).

Someone butt dialled her house and the conversation got recorded on her machine... that's it. There's NO WAY of installing some spyware on an iPhone like that without a computer. I highly doubt the app store has anything like that.
__________________
My iToyz: 13" MBP (2.9 GHz Ci7, 8Gb RAM; 500Gb Hybrid HDD; OSX Mavericks) 1Tb Time Capsule iPhone5s 32Gb Space Grey iPad Mini Retina 32Gb Space Grey WiFi
Synergie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:23 PM   #18
Jinx07
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Yes, you can hack into an Iphone. My friend did it to his wife's Iphone. I'm not quite sure software or how he did it. But, that is how he caught her cheating.
Jinx07 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:40 PM   #19
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx07 View Post
Yes, you can hack into an Iphone. My friend did it to his wife's Iphone. I'm not quite sure software or how he did it. But, that is how he caught her cheating.
There is no hack or spyware for stock firmware iOS.
Most likely he used tr find my iPhone feature to track her.
Something you dot know or understand doesn't mean it's hacked.
It's a built in feature of iCloud.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:48 PM   #20
maturola
macrumors 68040
 
maturola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
There is no hack or spyware for stock firmware iOS.
Most likely he used tr find my iPhone feature to track her.
Something you dot know or understand doesn't mean it's hacked.
It's a built in feature of iCloud.
that's is correct, if the backup is not encrypted, all you need is sync the phone to any computer, then use Backup Extrator + SQLite reader (SQLite Database Browser) and you'll get access to Texts, Messages, contacts, pretty much everything.

I haven't personally seen any tool to be use as Spyware yet, on paper it is very possible and not that difficult, but again very few people would have any interest on something like that.

Find my phone can be easily be use to track the phone in real time, and some other features on iCloud that are pretty dangerous if you are not careful with your password or your phone.

More Social Engineering than hacking....

PS: please Encrypt your backups LOL
__________________
Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
13'' Unibody MacBook / Made by , Fix by the Dev Team
LockedUSB Adapter - USB Charger Firewall and Power Optimizer
maturola is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:36 PM   #21
Thedeathbear
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Probably placed a bug in the car of slipped something in the liner of a purse.
Thedeathbear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:47 AM   #22
Viper64
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
All I'm going to say is this if he had 5 minutes alone with your phone...

http://www.clubmz.com/

Check out this website...
Viper64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 07:21 PM   #23
Sammyde
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA, Virginia
You are right he might have hacked your phone, my wife did the same on my iphone 4 she can copy text,pictures, what's app texting call log to her phone but whenever she do it I can tell because when I go to photos I can see pictures, text messaging all in one picture folder.
Sammyde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 08:41 PM   #24
powerstrokin
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Dude, this thread is a couple years old...
powerstrokin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 07:11 PM   #25
Sammyde
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA, Virginia
I know but I really need help, my wife has has my iphone 4 some how she can copy text conversation from my phone pictures what should I do
Sammyde is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5S hacked iTunes? Loves2spoon iPhone 10 Sep 29, 2013 11:25 PM
iPhone 4 Camera hacked? SDJCJLD iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 8 Mar 26, 2013 07:11 AM
iPhone 4 camera hacked? SDJCJLD iPhone 1 Mar 18, 2013 07:41 AM
need help! iPhone 4s was hacked alexa123 iPhone 6 Aug 29, 2012 01:17 PM
iPhone Hijacker hacked me audix iPhone 8 Aug 4, 2012 05:28 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC