Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Sep 8, 2011, 01:44 PM   #1
godkorg
macrumors member

Cool case that holds the Apple Bluetooth KB and iPad

Just got this, and man am I pleasantly surprised

It comes with a skin for the iPad2 to make it fit snug, and the skin is actually pretty awesome, when you use it outside of the case, your iPad2 still has decent protection. Everything fits great, quality seems very good, no problems yet. You can prop the iPad up a few different ways, the pouch for the cable comes out too (velcroed on to the case) which is nice.

Worth it IMO... anyone else using this??

http://www.isound.net/shop-by-type/c...-for-ipad.html

godkorg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:50 PM   #2
jsh1120
macrumors 65816

First design like that I've seen. Only downside I can see is that it apparently doesn't allow use of the Apple Wireless Keyboard with the iPad in the portrait orientation. Otherwise, it's a reasonable alternative to the Incase Origami Workstation that provides a case for the AWK and a stand for the iPad.
jsh1120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 09:37 PM   #3
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
First design like that I've seen. Only downside I can see is that it apparently doesn't allow use of the Apple Wireless Keyboard with the iPad in the portrait orientation. Otherwise, it's a reasonable alternative to the Incase Origami Workstation that provides a case for the AWK and a stand for the iPad.
You read my mind.

I'd say though that it appears you can't actually use the keyboard without first removing it from the case. If that's how it works, then for me, it's a pretty pricey keyboard sleeve and an inadequate stand, since also it doesn't work in portrait and I much prefer to type in that orientation. I can see where it's a good choice for some though.

Having said all that, I'm thrilled to see a new design, even if it's one I wouldn't use, because it means companies are still working on the best setup for this device combo--one that will make it the ultimate in both usability and portability. And I love the fact that it comes in a decent variety of colors. (Sorry, I'm a girl, and though I love my Origami, the black is boring and the outer material both looks and feels a bit cheap. LOL)
Old Sep 8, 2011, 11:22 PM   #4
jsh1120
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishVixen View Post
...(Sorry, I'm a girl, and though I love my Origami, the black is boring and the outer material both looks and feels a bit cheap. LOL)
Well, I'm not a girl and I agree that the OW's cover is its only negative feature. The rubberized material keeps the stand in place but that's its only virtue.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:12 AM   #5
godkorg
macrumors member

But wait a minute! Pretty solid too It does come in red, no issues with the quality..

I'm a big fan of the more popular brands, they're popular for a reason I guess, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one... There was this little piece of velcro on one of the flaps I couldnt figure out and ends up it's to hold the part (that folds over when closed) back against the case when you open it like I have it on the lid... clever ... its cheaper at B&H too I think

Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:14 AM   #6
jsh1120
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by godkorg View Post
But wait a minute! Pretty solid too It does come in red, no issues with the quality...
Thanks for the update and the photo. Very helpful compared to the photos on the vendor's website. With the ability to use the stand in the portrait orientation it makes it a more viable competitor to the Origami Workstation.

Apart from the minor complaints about the OW case material, its only other downside is that one must purchase the OW ($30) and a bag to hold both it and the iPad. This product may eliminate the need for a separate bag/case unless one wants the extra storage capacity the latter provides.

I like my current setup with the OW, AWK, SmartCover, back protector, and a small messenger bag (Timbuk2) that holds all my stuff including headphones and power accessories. But if I were starting over I'd consider this alternative seriously.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:39 AM   #7
godkorg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
I like my current setup with the OW, AWK, SmartCover, back protector, and a small messenger bag (Timbuk2) that holds all my stuff including headphones and power accessories. But if I were starting over I'd consider this alternative seriously.
I have a similar setup, a timbuk2 (looooooooove it) messenger (medium, red edition) that I put this case into, along with my extras and its pretty sweet.

I was in the NY apple (5th avenue, niiiiiice) store recently and watched some guy walk out with the last OW *ffffFFFFUUUUUUUU*lol

I like this case for around the house or the office (when its not in the bag), walking around the office its pretty discrete and it keeps the KB handy at all times, the skin it comes with gives the ipad2 a nice grip and makes it comfortable to use outside of the case too. My expectations were pretty low for this but all and all I'll be keeping this and using it as my main case (until something better comes along
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:45 AM   #8
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

wow looks pretty awesome! Would that work with an HP TP KB and the TP?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:49 AM   #9
godkorg
macrumors member

It's really specific to the apple keyboard size wise, and very specific to the iPad for the bracket in the case. The keyboard pouch is very slim, and when you close the case, the rounded battery containing part of the keyboard actually sits flush on the side of the iPad (next to it)

As you can sort of see here (look for the battery cap of the KB)

Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:51 AM   #10
jsh1120
macrumors 65816

Really do appreciate your post. As far as I know, this is the only viable alternative to the Origami Workstation if one wants to use the Apple Wireless Keyboard. (Why Apple dropped the ball on that one is a mystery to me.)

In the numerous threads dealing with combo cases (iPad/keyboard) I'm sure others have gotten tired of my repeated warnings that the small cramped keyboards of unknown quality in those products may not satisfy those who are used to full size, durable keyboards with good key action. (I'm admittedly a little obsessed about good keyboards since I have to use at least three different ones every day.)

The AWK is among the best compromises for those who do a lot of keyboard work on their iPads. But the absence of a case that can serve double duty for the iPad and the AWK is frequently a sticking point. The product you've alerted us to deserves more recognition.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:59 AM   #11
godkorg
macrumors member

Agree with you there, Primarily why I went with this option, that is a bit more costly after factoring the price of the kb over those cases with built in keyboards.

I like that I can prop my iPhone with its stand and use this keyboard with it too as well, or use it with my mbp when its docked... without having to jimmy rig anything. I'll take some more pics when I get the chance
Old Sep 9, 2011, 02:18 PM   #12
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._for_iPad.html

Definitely cheaper! Now where did I put that $50 B&H gift card I found when cleaning my office last weekend?! LOL

It certainly looks better now that I see it in use, though I do like the Origami quite well. Thanks for the additional pic!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 02:55 PM   #13
godkorg
macrumors member

Here are a few more shots, the skin you put on the ipad2 to make it snug turned me off big time, but ends up its really really comfortable and has nice ''lay on the table'' design

Sorry for the upside down, dont have time to flip em!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Note the port opening, is big enough that it doesnt interfere with the larger memory card and usb adapters, or cables.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by godkorg; Sep 9, 2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: additional info
Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:33 PM   #14
jsh1120
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by godkorg View Post
...its cheaper at B&H too I think
It certainly is! Even at $80 it looks like a reasonable buy. At the B&H price ($56), it's definitely worth a look.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:33 PM   #15
3goldens
macrumors 68000

might as well get an air!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:47 PM   #16
jsh1120
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post
Only if the added functionality is worth an extra $300-$500 to you.

It's a never-ending and rather tiresome debate but for many people (and for many uses) a laptop is overkill. I can't replace my quadcore 15" workstation laptop with an iPad, but I can't replace it with an 11" (or 13") MBA, either. An iPad without a physical keyboard is almost useless to me but the addition of a good keyboard makes it as suitable a supplement to my high powered laptop as an 11" MBA at a considerable savings.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 09:51 PM   #17
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post
Right, because an Air is really the perfect device to read a book on.

Or sketch on with a finger or stylus.

Or to pull out & play games like Solitaire while waiting at the doctor's office, DMV, etc.

Or just plain surf on.

Oh, and I should just carry that extra weight around on the days when I don't actually need a physical keyboard with me. Even though that means I'll probably carry it less, overall, because I'll end up leaving it at home instead.

Seriously, there are some people for whom this is the right solution. If you're going to want a physical keyboard full time, then yes, you probably should get a laptop. But if that's not the case in someone's given situation, it's good that there are options for those who only need a keyboard part time, and yes, part of that time just might be outside the house.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories