Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNeedToDoHw

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2011
I'm trying to keep my room simple and tidy and so I don't want any cables. Is there a way to play music on my macbook on an external speaker wirelessly?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
An Airport Express is a great way to play your music (iTunes) or other audio (Airfoil) wirelessly.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
The Logitech Z515 at Best Buy:
Bluetooth or USB
Rechargable

wireless-speaker-z515.png

iNeedToDoHw

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Are these only itunes compatitible? Can I use youtube videos for it as well?

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Airplay

My setup: a pair of AudioEngine self powered A2 speakers attached to an Apple Airport Express. Total cost $300. These speakers sounds great and get great reviews. But you can be the judge as they AudioEngine has a 100% money back warranty so you can take them for a test drive.

The great thing about this set up is that the speakers have two set of inputs so you can hook them up to two sources, like your desktop or TV, and use the second source for your Airport Express for Airplay. The speakers will go into idle mode and draw very little power when no signal is detected.

For my MBA, this is a great setup: I get great sound from speakers with excellent stereo separation which I cannot achieve with most portable speakers. The A2 will fill a large room easily. And with Airplay, this setup is accesible to any recent Apple devices: iPad, iPhone, etc.

If you already have a pair of speakers with power, you can get by by spending $100 for an Airport Express. For me, I just wanted a simple and good setup that I can turn and leave on without feeling bad about power consumption. The Audio Engine A2's fit the bill.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-2

mrdm

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
+1

My setup: a pair of AudioEngine self powered A2 speakers attached to an Apple Airport Express. Total cost $300. These speakers sounds great and get great reviews. But you can be the judge as they AudioEngine has a 100% money back warranty so you can take them for a test drive.

The great thing about this set up is that the speakers have two set of inputs so you can hook them up to two sources, like your desktop or TV, and use the second source for your Airport Express for Airplay. The speakers will go into idle mode and draw very little power when no signal is detected.

For my MBA, this is a great setup: I get great sound from speakers with excellent stereo separation which I cannot achieve with most portable speakers. The A2 will fill a large room easily. And with Airplay, this setup is accesible to any recent Apple devices: iPad, iPhone, etc.

If you already have a pair of speakers with power, you can get by by spending $100 for an Airport Express. For me, I just wanted a simple and good setup that I can turn and leave on without feeling bad about power consumption. The Audio Engine A2's fit the bill.

I have this exact setup and agree it is fantastic. The audio quality from the A2s is very surprising given the size of the speakers. Great clarity, warm tones and great range. You will hear every nuance of your favorite songs. The airport express is also a great match and makes it easy to listen to music without having to deal with rusty old wires ;-).

icanboogie

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
Berlin
Can I use youtube videos for it as well?

with "Airfoil" yes. But you will notice quite a lag between sound and picture, so it's only useful for audio playing.

I don't like bluetooth for audio transmission, but Airport Express or AppleTV (if your speakers or Audiosystem has digital line in) both work great as wireless transmitters for any audio from your MBA or iPad etc.

The mentioned setup with the A2 sounds good, especially the two-line-in thing seems a very good idea.

optionx12

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011

I use this logitech bluetooth adapter. It's really simple. just plug in your speakers into the logitech adapter (I use the old logitech z-2300 2.1 speakers). Connect to the adapter from your macbook air, and play.

I find this set up nicer because I can still be connected to my original wireless router and not an Airport Express. This way I can still access my NAS, and don't have to be on a specific network to connect to the speakers.

I do have an AE and it's certainly nice to use, but I found that I can only use the speakers with iTunes (I think...). I can play movies and everything from my Logitech adapter, though Skype had some issues that I have been too lazy to troubleshoot.

The only downside to the Logitech Bluetooth Adapter is that you have to manually reconnect via the Macbook Air bluetooth icon. It doesn't auto connect like it would with the Apple Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard. Though I don't find this to be a huge hassle as its still one less cord for me to connect to my MBA. (I already have cords into the MiniDP and USB for the monitor, and the power cord for clamshell mode).

Overall, I recommend the Bluetooth adapter, especially if you can get it discounted. I had a 50% off logitech coupon so it was only $20 which made it a fun toy. Anyways, sorry to ramble on! Hope this was helpful!:D

dmbarrineau

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
from scratch

I recently bought my husband a MacBook Air. What items would I need buy if starting from scratch? speakers of course...but what other items....transmitter maybe? or are there speakers on the market that will connect wirelessly without any additional hardware?

thanks

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
I recently bought my husband a MacBook Air. What items would I need buy if starting from scratch? speakers of course...but what other items....transmitter maybe? or are there speakers on the market that will connect wirelessly without any additional hardware?

thanks

Not exactly sure what starting from scratch means. Seems to me that if you could afford to buy your husband an MBA, you should have already bought him a wireless router w/ Internet access and home theater system. If not those would be the next things to buy him. LOL.

If you have a router and HTS (or after you've bought them) one thing to consider is an Apple TV. With Apple TV, you can play all iTunes content from the MBA through your home theater system wirelessly. It's only $99.

If you don't have a router and HTS, a set of computer speakers would allow your husband to play music while working on his MBA. These can be USB attached or wireless. These can vary in price quite dramatically, from $99 to $500 or more.

If you could share more of what you have or are looking for that would be helpful. For example, do you have or need printing or scanning capability?

Last edited:

vicliner

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010

I agree these sound great, IMHO. Nice and bassy without the need for a SW.

That being said, I have your exact same set up. For some reason my Macbook Air I7 loses connection quite often, even when set next to the express. My phone could be 2 rooms away and never lose the connection. Have you done anything out of the ordinary to get it working?

Jonesy135

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2012
Bedfordshire, UK

I know this thread is a few months old so sorry to drag this up again

but i have a couple questions

as i think this sounds like a good solution for me as im a student and ill have a MBA as my main machine, which ill be taking to Uni so having to plug in half a dozen cables every time im at my desk would be a pain

if i had this set up (A2's and airport express) connected to a (not yet purchased) MBA

would i only be able to play audio from itunes.... ie not from games, youtube or safari etc through the express

also would the express have to act as my wifi router??
i live with my parent so have no control over our router and stuff (we have BT home hub3)
i get the impression (see quote below) that i wouldnt beable to connect to the homehub for the internet and play music through the express at the same time

I find this set up nicer because I can still be connected to my original wireless router and not an Airport Express. This way I can still access my NAS, and don't have to be on a specific network to connect to the speakers.

and last thing (i promise) would the express result in delays in audio ie if im watching a video of people speaking will the audio be out of whack with the visual

also the A2's and express would basically max out my budget so i'd be hard pushed to spend more unless the results would be much much better!

Any help/advice/suggestions would be crackin!! :D

Thanks

hempcamp

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2007
DC/VA
I have this exact setup and agree it is fantastic. The audio quality from the A2s is very surprising given the size of the speakers. Great clarity, warm tones and great range. You will hear every nuance of your favorite songs. The airport express is also a great match and makes it easy to listen to music without having to deal with rusty old wires ;-).

Yet another vote for the AudioEngine 2. I used to spend thousands on receivers and amps and preamps and DACs and passive bookshelf speakers, until I found these provide about 95% of the performance at about 1% of the cost.

For nearly 3 years I've even been contemplating the larger AudioEngine 5, but just haven't felt the need. These tiny speakers fill my rather large living area with beautiful sound, with ease (gain at only about 60%).

I have the AudioEngine 2 connected to both my Apple TV (for AirPlay from my MacBook Air, iPad or iPhone) and my Roku (for Hulu+ and Amazon Streaming). I've also used them with the Airport Express in the pre-Apple TV days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.