Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chazmink

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Long Beach Island, NJ
I would like to share my latest AppleCare-Mac Genius encounter. After finding that people could see me but not hear me on FaceTime I contacted AppleCare yesterday. After some tests and elevating the call I was advised that it was a hardware problem. They scheduled an appointment at the local Apple Store to have my MBA 13 replaced. I visited the store today and the Genius quickly determined that the Bodyguardz strip on the left side was covering the mike and disabling it. I wasted a few hours on this problem and can hopefully spare someone else the hassle. I have also notified Bodyguardz.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
hmm.. good to know. i wonder if the zagg, wrapsol, or others have the same issue?

deadlystriker

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
You must have pasted the wrong strip on the wrong side. I have bodyguardz full body on my 11" air and there is clearly a circle cut out for the microphone. Perhaps you pasted the one with the cut out on the other side instead?

chazmink

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Long Beach Island, NJ
Nope, I pasted the correct strip. The other side is the mirror image and wouldn't fit. I have another full body cover on order since I removed this one thinking I was going to exchange the machine for a new one. I will pay particular attention to the piece before deciding to install it or not. I notified Bodyguardz last night so they may respond tome.

chazmink

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Long Beach Island, NJ
Here is my response from Bodyguardz. Charles,
**** Thank you for contacting us! I want to reassure you that you the two devices are compatible. We have actually had this problem before. On side piece that seems to be covering the speaker, there is only 1 hole. That hole is suppose to go over the speaker and not the earphone jack. there is no hole cut out for the* earphone jack. So the piece just needs to be moved to the right about 5 mm and have the whole over the speaker and not the ear jack.* I hope that makes sense to you!
Let me know if we can assist you any further.

Thank you for your business and have a great day,
Alycia
BodyGuardz*|*Customer Care
support@bodyguardz.com

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Charles Mink <w2tv@comcast.net> wrote:
i wanted to let you know that the Bodyguardz for the 2010 MacBook Air is not fully compatible with the new 2011 13" model. The strip on the left edge completely disables the internal microphone. After telephone AppleCare support sent me to my local Apple Store for a replacement the Mac Genius determined that the Bodyguardz strip disabled the microphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.