Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

So, which is it?

• Consumer

Votes: 67 42.1%
  • Prosumer

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Professional

Votes: 36 22.6%

• Total voters

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
taking a poll:

are you a consumer, a professional, or a prosumer (a hobbyist with professional apps) with your Mac?

correlation is not = causation, I'm just curious what the demographic is.

I think Lion will be fine in a few updates. Until then, I'm more than fine with my SL, and I'd consider myself a prosumer/NERD to the extreme (you can check the 'prosumer' bubble if you feel you are exceedingly more nerdy, knowledgable, and indulgent than the average consumer).

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Lion has one huge bug that I still struggle with. Whenever I use multiple displays (external monitor plus the built in display) on my Macbook, I lose the ability to log in remotely via any of my iPad VNC apps. I can log in but I can't do anything. I hoped this would get fixed in 10.7.1 but alas I'm waiting for 10.7.2 for more reasons than just iCloud.

Lion has a few quirks I "live with" including reverse scrolling which I disabled. But funny enough, with reverse scrolling disabled, when I'm controlling my Mac from my iPad, I wish I'd left reverse scrolling enabled. Another quirk is the inability to "bully in" to share a screen with the current logged in user. I like the ability to log in as me instead but what if I simply want to finish something I started earlier when I was logged in as my wife's account on her machine? I guess I'd have to disconnect and reconnect as her to see her screen. That's a bit inconvenient.

I got pulled away during my post. Overall I like Lion and I'm glad I got it installed on all our Macs. I like the recovery partition. I'm glad I made my own usb stick before the install so I've got 2 ways to recover if I should ever need to. I might have held off putting Lion on our older (1G RAM) machines if I'd known SL would eventually support iCloud but overall I'm happy. Of course I'll be happier as Apple irons out quirks like the VNC thing but I would encourage anyone who can switch to do so.

Last edited:

mountains

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
I'm not sure I get the point of this thread.

"Everyone who likes Lion is a casual user who isn't smart enough to understand what's horribly flawed with this OS!"

I don't quite agree with that, but I'm guessing that's what the OP was getting at.

dcrichmond

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2011
Multiple Displays

Lion has one huge bug that I still struggle with. Whenever I use multiple displays (external monitor plus the built in display) on my Macbook, I lose the ability to log in remotely via any of my iPad VNC apps. I can log in but I can't do anything. I hoped this would get fixed in 10.7.1 but alas I'm waiting for 10.7.2 for more reasons than just iCloud.

I am running multiple displays and can log in with my iPad using teamviewer. This is a free program - it might work for you - not a VNC program.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
"Everyone who likes Lion is a casual user who isn't smart enough to understand what's horribly flawed with this OS!"

I don't quite agree with that, but I'm guessing that's what the OP was getting at.

I am not getting at anything.

Get over yourself.

Pure curiosity. And the results seem almost equally distributed thus far.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Cause anonymous internet polls are the most accurate and reliable method to gather statistics...?

My "upgrade" to Lion has been met with nothing but frustration after frustration at the ridiculously bad UI design decisions Apple made, or bug after bug affecting things I used to easily do in SL.

The bugs (hopefully) will get fixed, but who knows how many months I will have to suffer through them. The boneheaded "design decisions" probably are here to stay. In all the time I have used macs (going on 8+ years now), I have never been so frustrated or dissapointed with the OS. Until Lion.

Unfortunately I cannot retrograde to SL, as my "upgrade" to Lion came with a 2011 mac mini, which from what I can tell, doesn't run SL properly.

Ruahrc

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Lion is an improvement, in my opinion. There are bugs as is natural with every upgrade, that will be fixed in a revision or two. I am a professional software developer; not a casual user.

Versions is a great idea, but I think some would be better if autosave was optional. Changing Save As to Duplicate is much better and encourages a better workflow, in my opinion.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
So this means Lion is rock solid for 99% of users? Pure nonsense, since user profiles have nothing to do with system stability.

What are you talking about? You said Lion was rock solid, I said only for consumers is it rock solid. For professionals it is trash in the enterprise. No reason to bring up "user profiles". Either way a user account can be part of a stability problem hence why you create accounts to test against.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
The reason you're not getting the comment about user profiles is because your bias is making you ignore the point. It's not about a user account, the point was that consumers are no less likely to have problems than "professionals". Hint: a lot of consumers are also professionals, in some field. The word professional is completely meaningless in this case.

Incidentally, I'm a professional and have no problems with Lion. I work with computers all the time, and while I'm not denying that some people have problems with Lion, and others are simply not happy with changes that were made (though not actually experiencing bugs), suggest that they are more likely to have problems because of the job that they are in is simply disingenuous. The only cases where that could be correct is people who work with software that is incompatible, and anyone working with job-critical software should never upgrade their OS until they know it will work correctly with their software.

jW

tahoeroscoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
California
I really love mission control and separate spaces for full screen apps. I never used spaces in SL, but i am really getting a lot out of it with lion. And then the 4 finger swipe to navigate between them is very smooth.

Still getting used to the reverse scrolling for up and down, years of muscle memory programmed into my brain. And it doesnt help that i have to use a windows machine at work with a standard scroll wheel. But i am trying to stick with it.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
What are you talking about? You said Lion was rock solid, I said only for consumers is it rock solid. For professionals it is trash in the enterprise. No reason to bring up "user profiles". Either way a user account can be part of a stability problem hence why you create accounts to test against.

Mal already explained my point, so I don't need to repeat it. You simply did not understand what I said above; "stability" has nothing to do with a user being professional or not (whatever that means).

If Lion were really that piece of trash a handful of people seem to portray here, I wouldn't be using and praising it right now, as a longtime Mac user (dealing all the time with multiple apps, multiple windows, heavy-duty encoding, high-end games, MS Office and so on).

People complain too much, even when options to revert back to old paradigms still exist (i.e., natural scrolling)...that's all.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I use the Mac professional and in private. In both use cases I currently have no issues with Lion. I rolled back all the features I could roll back. But overall I am happy. I like in particular the new mail.app

Only real problem seems to be Safari with some bug.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
It's not about "professional" it is about Enterprise. Do you have machines bound to multiple domains with network accounts that you have to manage? Do you require LDAP authentication and kerberos for a vast majority of authentications? Do you use SAN/ DFS for shared directories? Do you need connectivity to XSAN clusters? Fibre connected LTO5? Proper SSO?
This is what I meant. Not someone who cuts a little movie on final cut and gets paid for it. They are "professional".
Do you work directly with Apple engineers? Because I do. They know the bugs. WE are working them out. The rest is NDA.

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
I love Lion because it forces me to use less of my Mac and more of my super computer PC machine that is about 50x faster than it.

Until of course the next gen macbook pros with Ivy Bridge come out, I'll have to struggle with Lion again.

ciaopaty

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
Garbage...

Cause anonymous internet polls are the most accurate and reliable method to gather statistics...?

My "upgrade" to Lion has been met with nothing but frustration after frustration at the ridiculously bad UI design decisions Apple made, or bug after bug affecting things I used to easily do in SL.

The bugs (hopefully) will get fixed, but who knows how many months I will have to suffer through them. The boneheaded "design decisions" probably are here to stay. In all the time I have used macs (going on 8+ years now), I have never been so frustrated or dissapointed with the OS. Until Lion.

Unfortunately I cannot retrograde to SL, as my "upgrade" to Lion came with a 2011 mac mini, which from what I can tell, doesn't run SL properly.

Ruahrc

I agree. In my opinion this is the worst operating system Apple did so far. I have never seen the spinning colored ball so many times with almost every task the computer runs...Browsers, email, Flash, it's ridiculous, so many problems, and freezes...

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I agree. In my opinion this is the worst operating system Apple did so far. I have never seen the spinning colored ball so many times with almost every task the computer runs...Browsers, email, Flash, it's ridiculous, so many problems, and freezes...

I am really sorry for everyone who has big issues with Lion. I have upgraded my 2 MBP and 1 MP and use them without any issues, in a personal as well in a huge corporate environment without any big issues so far.

One thing I have to add is that I had to upgrade my private MBP to 8GB of RAM as Aperture became totally unusable. With the 8 GB it runs again very smooth. I have more then 40000 pictures in the library. Not sure if it has to do with that.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

Have none of these...you probably have a lot of extraneous crap installed in your Mac - Lion has nothing to do with the aforementioned issues.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
there are a few reasons which i think lion is better

1. full screen apps, with 13inch macbook pro its very important to have a full screen safari.

2. new gestures, i like the new gestures, 2 fingers double clicks zooms to the focus point on safari, and 3 fingers double click for dictionary word lookup

3. lanchpad is usefull when you are having full screen apps.

4. window size control now can be done with 4 corners of the window

apart from these, nothing i found very important..

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
personally, i wish ALL OS's were about speed, stability, function. i'm much more interested in working with my apps than i am at playing with or admiring the OS.

lion has stuff i don't need (mission control, for example, some other stuff).
but that's ok, am enjoying using launchpad (also for example); i really like the new Mail...

so far, pretty stable, and reasonably fast. THAT'S what i care about, so am happy with Lion (and look forward to bug fixes, etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.