Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:43 AM   #1
apmusicman
macrumors newbie

Time Limit/Parental Controls App

Greetings!

I've just bought my son a new iPhone, but I'm obviously concerned about how he uses it. I was wondering if any of you know of an app that does the following:

1. Gives a set amount of time during the day that the phone can be used. For example, the phone can be used between 7am and 9pm. After that, it locks up and won't be available until the next day at 7am.

2. Locks the phone completely during "off" times. Meaning, no app can be used, no browsing can take place, no SMS, etc. The only thing that would be allowed would be phone calls in and out of the phone.

3. The ability to "hide" the app so that it can't be uninstalled during available time. Or, the ability to prevent deleting the app until a password is given.

Here's the reason I ask. I've seen a number of apps that allow you to limit safari's access to the web, but most apps have a built in browser now that allows you to get around that. We've put an app called B.O.B on the phone and it does a good job limiting the safari browser, but he has the Facebook app on his phone and you can simply access the internet by searching for google and going to their info page and clicking on their link. It's a very elegant way to get around the safari blocking app.

The other reason is that I hear him up at all hours of the night texting with friends. We've taken the phone away at night and put it under lock and key to prevent this from happening and we'll probably still do it, but I'd like the added protection of knowing that no matter what, when the phone shuts down at 9pm, there is no more phone usage.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts for me, I'd really appreciate it.
apmusicman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:51 PM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

No set amount of time, but you can hide Apple apps and disable services (In-app purchasing).

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4213
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:31 PM   #3
saving107
macrumors 603

The only way to prevent someone from using the phone is by putting a Passcode lock, otherwise, what your asking is not possible.

Due to Sandboxing, Apps are self contain and do not have access to core functionality of the device, meaning that no App can lock or power down the device at any point for any reason (this is due to security and to prevent malicious activities).

Quote:
The Application Sandbox
For security reasons, iOS restricts each application (including its preferences and data) to a unique location in the file system. This restriction is part of the security feature known as the application’s sandbox. The sandbox is a set of fine-grained controls limiting an application’s access to files, preferences, network resources, hardware, and so on. Each application has access to the contents of its own sandbox but cannot access other applications’ sandboxes.
http://developer.apple.com/library/i...vironment.html
saving107 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 02:05 PM   #4
apmusicman
macrumors newbie

Got it. I thought that might be the case, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.
apmusicman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:32 AM   #5
TraceyS/FL
macrumors 68040

Some carriers allow you to set up hours and such on their end, you might check that side of it. I've seen the ability to restrict texts, but honestly haven't checked further as to what is available for my DD (who does not have an iPhone).

Please go to apple.com/feedback and share with apple what you would like to see in this area. The more they hear, the more they might be apt to help us parents.

I use Mobicip on our iOS devices and it helps, but you are right in things are easier to circumvent at this point. I have an easier time because I don't have the cell side of it to contend with. I can shut my wifi off during certain hours and be good.

I'd stick with the phone being "yours" at a certain time each night until you get a system in place.
TraceyS/FL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting