Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vadn1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I am looking to purchase an 27" Imac I7. I unsure if I should purchase a 2010 model from Macmall for $1500 and have the computer now, or wait till summer of 2012 to purchase a 2011 model. I do plan on adding a SSD drive and increasing the memory.

My primary use for the Imac would be mid-level video editing, watching online videos /movies, watching DVD movies, MS office suite for Mac, photo and music editing. I would like to utilize Facetime which does not seem to be included with the 2010 Imac. Also, the Imac will be used to connect Ipods and Ipad.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
I am looking to purchase an 27" Imac I7. I unsure if I should purchase a 2010 model from Macmall for $1500 and have the computer now, or wait till summer of 2012 to purchase a 2011 model. I do plan on adding a SSD drive and increasing the memory.

My primary use for the Imac would be mid-level video editing, watching online videos /movies, watching DVD movies, MS office suite for Mac, photo and music editing. I would like to utilize Facetime which does not seem to be included with the 2010 Imac. Also, the Imac will be used to connect Ipods and Ipad.

the 2010 i7 is comparable to the 2011 i5 in performance and by summer 2012 ivy bridge might be out as well.

meh too bad i took my 2010 in for a change of lcd, i cant see if lion on it has FaceTime or not, you could buy it if it doesn't tho.

for your use any 27" will be more than enough specially with an SSD and more ram.

Hamilton1963

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
Check the bench mark of both iMacs here: http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2011/05/imac-benchmarks-mid-2011//

The performance of the Mid 2010 i7 is better than the Mid 2011 i5.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
If you ever want to connect a non Mac (non-thunderbolt) to your display the 2010 is your only choice. The 2011s don't support target display mode from any source other than thunderbolt. Also, at $1500 it's a great deal for last years top model. I really enjoy mine but I use target display mode so I really had only one choice.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.