Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Hey folks. My iPhone is currently in a very sticky situation. I have a GSM iPhone 4 JB on iOS 5 beta 7. All of the sudden, it shut down and went to a blue screen with constant vibrate. The only way I could get this to stop was to take the battery out and put it back. Now when it starts up it gets stuck on a gray screen. Absolutely nothing can fix this. My computer also doesn't recognize it. Anyone have any solutions?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
The last thing you should've done is take the battery out of a powered on iPhone. Try holding down the sleep and home button for 20 seconds (Apple logo will pop up twice). That's a hard reset and should dump you into DFU.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The last thing you should've done is take the battery out of a powered on iPhone. Try holding down the sleep and home button for 20 seconds (Apple logo will pop up twice). That's a hard reset and should dump you into DFU.

I tried a hard reset several times before resorting to the battery.

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Please post back with any solutions/ideas/progress. Basically anything that you can tell us in case any of us run across this in the near future. Sorry to hear about your luck. Hope you can get this fixed.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I went to my local Apple store today and a genius was able to restore the phone and get it working again. However, the screen was constantly flickering, and he said that that was usually a sign of water damage but my phone checked out clean for water damage. I was out of warranty so a replacement would have cost $199. After about 8 hours the flickering has gotten noticeably better. I guess I can put up with it for another month or so until the next iPhone comes out.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
I went to my local Apple store today and a genius was able to restore the phone and get it working again. However, the screen was constantly flickering, and he said that that was usually a sign of water damage but my phone checked out clean for water damage. I was out of warranty so a replacement would have cost $199. After about 8 hours the flickering has gotten noticeably better. I guess I can put up with it for another month or so until the next iPhone comes out.

Sounds like an issue with the display, or the display IC. You can tell if it's the display by pushing down firmly on the top left, and top right corner of the LCD.

The blue screen + vibrate definitely sounds like a processor issue. Maybe it froze during a text or call. Did you drop the phone recently?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.