Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Tydog07
macrumors 6502

Paint for mac? Need to make graphs...

I'm taking Econ 101 so I need to make some graphs and things, I'm going to be importing them into Evernote. I just downloaded paint brush, which seems to do the trick. Is there any other software that I should try to draw pictures and make graphs/charts?

Thanks in advance!

Tydog07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Leareth
macrumors 68000

MS Excel
OmniGraffle
Omnigraphsketcher
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:07 PM   #3
EthanMiller
macrumors member

Numbers is good if you have it, and the GIMP is free and runs on Mac if you want to do it that way, although a spreadsheet allows for a lot more flexibility.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:31 PM   #4
kufford
macrumors 6502

I'm an Economist. Wholeheartedly recommend OmniGraphSketcher. Best $20 you'll ever spend.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Tydog07
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leareth View Post
MS Excel
OmniGraffle
Omnigraphsketcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanMiller View Post
Numbers is good if you have it, and the GIMP is free and runs on Mac if you want to do it that way, although a spreadsheet allows for a lot more flexibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kufford View Post
I'm an Economist. Wholeheartedly recommend OmniGraphSketcher. Best $20 you'll ever spend.
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the Omni series and GIMP. I haven't used numbers before so I'll give that a try. The MSoffice series is too slow for my needs, I need to be able to directly import into evernote without huge file sizes and compatibility issues. I'll let you know if I come up with anything else.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:39 AM   #6
windowstomac
macrumors regular

For those kinds of graphs and charts I was also say Numbers or Excel...
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:34 AM   #7
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowstomac View Post
My experience with spreadsheet applications leads me to conclude that they are very blunt instruments for producing graphs. It is an excellent analytical tool for science and engineering, but DeltaGraph is arguably the best application for producing presentation-quality business graphs.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Tydog07
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowstomac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
My experience with spreadsheet applications leads me to conclude that they are very blunt instruments for producing graphs. It is an excellent analytical tool for science and engineering, but DeltaGraph is arguably the best application for producing presentation-quality business graphs.
I appreciate all the suggestions guys, but I need something a lot quicker than that. My graphs are usually basic without any quantitative data where the only useful pieces are the size/shape/location of the curves/lines on the graph itself. Most of my graphs do not start as a chart or table. I have scanned a few graphs out of one of my text books, it'll work for now and I'll use paint brush for everything else.

EDIT: I'm gonna try omnigraph sketcher again.

Last edited by Tydog07; Sep 13, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:32 PM   #9
iVikD
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydog07 View Post
I appreciate all the suggestions guys, but I need something a lot quicker than that. My graphs are usually basic without any quantitative data where the only useful pieces are the size/shape/location of the curves/lines on the graph itself. Most of my graphs do not start as a chart or table. I have scanned a few graphs out of one of my text books, it'll work for now and I'll use paint brush for everything else.
Try Adobe Illustrator, I use that for crude graphs, timelines, etc. Think of it as a much more advanced Paint. Also, try www.mindomo.com, as it provides a lot of tools that might help, and you don't have to download anything.
iVikD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:38 PM   #10
mxbonnell
macrumors newbie

help on the way

I came across the developer of Cricket Graph from twenty plus years ago. He is close to completing a charting/graph program that will replace Cricket Graph. I never had Cricket Graph, but it was certainly state of the art in its day and was still being used until the latest IOS upgrade. First version is windows version, but he assures it will port to Andriod and Apple products shortly thereafter. I found his website while searching for a clean and simple application for charts and graphs. Company is Draggin Chart with a website of the same name.
mxbonnell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store