Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
OK Logitech makes two versions; One for iOS/iPads and the other for Android devices. I only have one iPad, but I've got several android tablets so I reviewed the Android version. The keyboard for iPad is the same except a few of the function keys are different. The one I reviewed actually works with my iPad, so I thought I'd throw in a link to the review. I noticed the iPad version is $10 cheaper many places.

Broad+Shot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
To quote from your review...

...The case/stand is very useful and cleverly functional. I paid $60 for mine, and that's the same or less than you'll pay for any Bluetooth android keyboard that doesn't include a case/stand..."

You make a good point here. Obviously, this keyboard case/keyboard combo competes directly with the Incase Origami Workstation/Apple Wireless Keyboard combination. And at $60 or less, it's at least $40 less than the OW/AWK solution.

Worth noting, by the way, that like the OW/AWK combo, the Logitech stand works in either portrait or landscape orientation although only the former is shown in most photos. That's a nice feature.

It also appears to allow some adjustment in the angle at which the iPad sits in the stand. That can be done with the OW/AWK stand, but it requires adding a little velcro strip to allow for a more acute (flatter) angle.

All in all, assuming that the keyboard action is up to the standards of most Logitech products, it appears to be a good alternative to the OW/AWK if one isn't wedded to the use of the Apple keyboard.

King Julian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
The keyboard looks exceptionally nice and with the added bonus of a protective case that turns into a stand, it appears to be a well thought out product by Logitech.

godkorg

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
Thanks for the post! This is a super kb, i like the blue ;)

I might have gone for this love the idea and design, I recently purchased a solution for my BT Keyboards situation, the logitech is a more compact solution, but I really love the Apple BT keyboard, so I think personally I prefer what I have now seen here, ive used it a few weeks now, absolutely love it... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1225940/

So clearly isn`t all about the Origami workstation anymore eh? good to see these products surface!!

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
So clearly isn`t all about the Origami workstation anymore eh? good to see these products surface!!

Agreed. Until recently the OW was about the only alternative to the cramped keyboards in the combo keyboard/iPad cases. While those are suitable for many people, especially those with tiny hands and those who don't use their iPads for extended typing, it's great to see some high quality keyboard solutions emerging.

godkorg

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
Agreed. Until recently the OW was about the only alternative to the cramped keyboards in the combo keyboard/iPad cases. While those are suitable for many people, especially those with tiny hands and those who don't use their iPads for extended typing, it's great to see some high quality keyboard solutions emerging.

Yep, and having a keyboard is more of an advantage than I thought! I was in a meeting the other day taking notes with pages, and the apple bt keyboard felt super great to type on, it was pretty quiet, and just touching here and there to make changes (bold, underline copy paste etc) on screen with my finger, I ended up with a really professional looking document, and made it on the fly... the iPad + keyboard is pretty deadly!! :) Carrying mine in the portfolio with the keyboard hidden in it works best for me in the office too.

I can't access the review for the logitech keyboard from work, but any word on how quiet it is?

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I can't access the review for the logitech keyboard from work, but any word on how quiet it is?
There is a nearly inaudible tap when the keys bottom out. Slightly louder with the space bar. In a noisy room I doubt I'd notice it at all. I also have the Apple iPad keyboard dock, and the sounds are comparable. Apple's aluminum block does a little better at dampening the sound compared to the Logitech's plastic body. The Apple keyboard is far from being portable though.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
There is a nearly inaudible tap when the keys bottom out. Slightly louder with the space bar. In a noisy room I doubt I'd notice it at all. I also have the Apple iPad keyboard dock, and the sounds are comparable. Apple's aluminum block does a little better at dampening the sound compared to the Logitech's plastic body. The Apple keyboard is far from being portable though.

The one with the DOCK is less than portable, agreed--one of the areas where I have to scratch my head at Apple's design team, as it's the least versatile keyboard out there. But, the one most of us have is the regular Apple Wireless Bluetooth, and it's very portable indeed. I remember being just stunned that a full sized keyboard was so light and compact! However, I wish this one had been out first; not only is it cheaper, but I'd prefer the black keyboard over Apple's white/aluminum combo.

I do find Apple's keyboard a bit noisy, but I wonder if some of that isn't just that I spent the majority of the last year on the iPad's virtual one? LOL

godkorg

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
I do find Apple's keyboard a bit noisy, but I wonder if some of that isn't just that I spent the majority of the last year on the iPad's virtual one? LOL

The iPad virtual keyboard is bar none the quietest keyboard I've ever used ;) (at least when the thing is on mute)

The dock kb is a head scratcher indeed

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, the virtual keyboard is very quiet, especially when you stop using it out of frustration. Haven't heard a sound from mine for months.

You make a good point about the advantage of black keys with white lettering compared to the Apple Wireless Keyboard's white keys/black lettering. Much easier to read in dim light.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
The iPad virtual keyboard is bar none the quietest keyboard I've ever used ;) (at least when the thing is on mute)

The dock kb is a head scratcher indeed

LOL--I should add that I disabled keyboard clicks on the stupid thing when I first got it. Again, I have no idea why Apple included them, but at least they can be turned off!

jsh--I actually wrote the first 15,000 words of a novel strictly on the virtual. It honestly doesn't bother me *that* much--except for the lack of tab and arrow keys for navigation. Since I usually type in portrait even with the virtual, it's a one finger deal most of the time, but I've become surprisingly adept with it. No, I don't get my usual 85+ wpm that way, but it forces me to slow down a little and actually think about my word choice a good deal more with the virtual than without.

As for dim light, oh for a BACKLIT BT keyboard! The battery life would likely be awful though.

Looking over the whole review--I think that for anyone in the market for a keyboard, this might be my new recommendation over the AWK/Origami combo. It's cheaper, looks like it might be a smidge lighter due to materials and the smaller battery size, and I like the adjustability of it, assuming it feels stable in portrait mode when tapping on the screen. And like the Origami, it looks design-wise like it will survive through the iPad 3 and possibly beyond. That's one big concern I have about the case/keyboard combos--how fast is each going to be obsolete, especially if you're the "upgrade every year" type? Kinda sucks to have to buy a whole new set of accessories each time.

Can the Logitech be used with most cases? Does the pull-out ledge extend far enough to allow for that?

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Can the Logitech be used with most cases? Does the pull-out ledge extend far enough to allow for that?
Yes, in fact if the lip catches a seam/edge/fold of a case that's all it needs to hold any tablet up. I haven't found any tablet that doesn't stay securely upright in/on this stand in a case or naked.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMAO

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
New Jersey
this looks nice, and price is pretty affordable.
i didnt know that there are so many other companies making keyboard for iPad. i regret buying my ipad keyboard from Apple. :(:(:(

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
LOL--I should add that I disabled keyboard clicks on the stupid thing when I first got it. Again, I have no idea why Apple included them, but at least they can be turned off!

jsh--I actually wrote the first 15,000 words of a novel strictly on the virtual. It honestly doesn't bother me *that* much--except for the lack of tab and arrow keys for navigation. Since I usually type in portrait even with the virtual, it's a one finger deal most of the time, but I've become surprisingly adept with it. No, I don't get my usual 85+ wpm that way, but it forces me to slow down a little and actually think about my word choice a good deal more with the virtual than without.

As for dim light, oh for a BACKLIT BT keyboard! The battery life would likely be awful though.

Looking over the whole review--I think that for anyone in the market for a keyboard, this might be my new recommendation over the AWK/Origami combo. It's cheaper, looks like it might be a smidge lighter due to materials and the smaller battery size, and I like the adjustability of it, assuming it feels stable in portrait mode when tapping on the screen. And like the Origami, it looks design-wise like it will survive through the iPad 3 and possibly beyond. That's one big concern I have about the case/keyboard combos--how fast is each going to be obsolete, especially if you're the "upgrade every year" type? Kinda sucks to have to buy a whole new set of accessories each time.

Last question first. I had the same question but looking at the photos, I think there would be no problem with a case; at least a back protector and SmartCover.

I don't think anyone makes a portable (or even an unwired) backlit keyboard. It would be a real battery drainer. I have a fancy new "illuminated" Logitech that I bought on impulse mainly because of its looks. I didn't realize until I got it home that it was a wired keyboard. Almost took it back but the key action is so good (and it looks so good) that I decided to keep it. First wired keyboard I've had in a long time.

I agree that either this or the new folio from iSound that holds the AWK might be a better choice than the Origami Workstation/AWK now. The former for the portability without a bag and this one for the reasons you cite. I won't be replacing my OW (mainly because I'd have to explain to my wife why on earth I would buy still ANOTHER duplicate accessory for the iPad.) But if I were starting from scratch I think I might opt for one of the alternatives.

A novelist, eh? Just another indication that the most interesting women come from the Pacific Northwest (including my wife.) :D

----------

this looks nice, and price is pretty affordable.
i didnt know that there are so many other companies making keyboard for iPad. i regret buying my ipad keyboard from Apple. :(:(:(

Well, as recently as three months ago you wouldn't have found all these alternatives.

BTW, don't mean to hijack the thread but if anyone needs an affordable keyboard without a case and already has a stand they don't want to give up, you can't do better than the Microsoft 6000 bluetooth portable keyboard. Sells for about $32 on Amazon and it's simply a great keyboard. Travels well. It's only a bit heavier and wider than the AWK and it's very, very durable.

godkorg

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
Jsh I hear you sometimes the wife agro isn't worth the shiny new accessory lol. Mine gave up and just rolls her eyes now... Gots to have different accessories...for the iPhone especially... Going Camping? Got the otterbox...going out, got the sleek barely there case, commuting? Got the candyshell (I accidentally threw my phone about 10 feet in the air today (don't ask) and was reminded of why I dig the candy shells...The thing bounced like a rubber ball... Sorry for the tangent :p

Back on topic (sort of) I doubt the wireless keyboards will lose compatibility since they're fairly standard as Bluetooth isn't going anywhere quite yet.

One of the reasons i avoided The all in one fitted clam shell keyboard case rigs...this KB will be compatible with many generations still... :)

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Jsh I hear you sometimes the wife agro isn't worth the shiny new accessory lol. Mine gave up and just rolls her eyes now... Gots to have different accessories...for the iPhone especially... Going Camping? Got the otterbox...going out, got the sleek barely there case, commuting? Got the candyshell (I accidentally threw my phone about 10 feet in the air today (don't ask) and was reminded of why I dig the candy shells...The thing bounced like a rubber ball... Sorry for the tangent :p

Back on topic (sort of) I doubt the wireless keyboards will lose compatibility since they're fairly standard as Bluetooth isn't going anywhere quite yet.

One of the reasons i avoided The all in one fitted clam shell keyboard case rigs...this KB will be compatible with many generations still... :)

I'm not worried about BT issues going forward, but as you said, the fitted rigs are unlikely to be compatible with future models. Original iPhone cases didn't fit the 3G/GS, which don't fit the 4, etc. Original iPads are thicker than iPad2, no reason the think the form factor will remain the same with the next model. So I do buy a bit more carefully nowadays with that sort of thing in mind.

And Logitech has a pretty decent reputation for keyboards overall, doesn't it? Which would indicate it should last for a few device generations. That hard case should help protect it nicely too.

(Hubby wouldn't care if I bought another keyboard, he has his own expensive hobbies. But I have to draw the line somewhere...if only to keep the budget in line for shoes, purses, and oh yeah, the iPad 3 and iPhone 6. LOL!)

godkorg

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
Logitech makes some goooooooood stuff! LoL I was going to make a shoe comment on my previous post because it's the card I play often with the missus when given grief over my cases...

I can see this kb to be cool as an iPhone kb since it probably props well in that case. I actually use the kb with my phone sometimes...

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
I don't think anyone makes a portable (or even an unwired) backlit keyboard. It would be a real battery drainer. I have a fancy new "illuminated" Logitech that I bought on impulse mainly because of its looks. I didn't realize until I got it home that it was a wired keyboard. Almost took it back but the key action is so good (and it looks so good) that I decided to keep it. First wired keyboard I've

Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800. Came out a while ago but well after their wired illuminated keyboard (which I have on a PC I built). I don't have the wireless one, so can't say how well it works. It gets good marks on Amazon.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Logitech makes some goooooooood stuff! LoL I was going to make a shoe comment on my previous post because it's the card I play often with the missus when given grief over my cases...

I can see this kb to be cool as an iPhone kb since it probably props well in that case. I actually use the kb with my phone sometimes...

Out of curiosity, I just paired the AWK with the iPhone and am using the phone in the Origami to post this. Works pretty well, though the small screen would drive me ballistic in short order. But yes, I'd imagine the Logitech would work well for that. I know palpatine uses the AWK with the iPod Touch regularly, so I'd expect others do too.

Works decently even in landscape mode; I would have thought the battery casing would have been too tall to see the screen fully, but it only cuts off the bottom 5 pixel rows or so. Still, the Logitech has the advantage there as the battery casing should be a bit lower due to battery size, and you could move the stand further back from the keyboard. On the other hand, the Origami means I'm only balancing ONE thing on my lap to type this out while on the couch.

Pros and cons to both, I suppose. Which you prefer will likely depend on personal work habits. I'm really tempted; the light colored keys of the AWK contrasted against the silver are a little distracting to my eye--I've always chosen black devices and keyboards when I can, as I find them less eye catching when I'm working. They tend to blend into the background more. Post jailbreak, even the virtual keyboards on my iThings are black.

Last edited:

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800. Came out a while ago but well after their wired illuminated keyboard (which I have on a PC I built). I don't have the wireless one, so can't say how well it works. It gets good marks on Amazon.

Well, that's the great (?) thing about internet forums. You can always count on someone pointing it out when you make an unsupported generalization. :D

Turns out it has a motion sensor that controls the on/off for the backlighting. That, I suppose is how they keep the battery drain at least minimally acceptable.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I've been in plenty of situations where lighted keys would have been wonderfully appreciated. I've also gone through several keyboards that eventually lost the screen-printed paint on more popular keys. This little Logitech has a nice action to it, is light weight, and did pair and stay connected reliably. Yes it will rattle a bit when shaken, and will flex some if you twist it. It is quickly becoming my favorite portable though, and it is far from being the first one I've tried.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
... Yes it will rattle a bit when shaken, and will flex some if you twist it. ...

I suspect the "rattling" stems from the scissor action keys. That's the sign of a well-designed keyboard. Without that mechanical means to actuate the keys it won't rattle but it also won't give you optimal key action, either.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Not sure what tech is used to make the keys bounce back up, but it feels exactly the same as the keys on the iPad keyboard dock and the Motorola Bluetooth Xoom keyboard I have. All great bits of kit.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I have to say I'm really enjoying this keyboard. I've got a satchel I take back and forth to work. The keyboard in its case an any tablet I've got go along peacefully. Far better way to go through email with the tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.