Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Hello,
I was just wondering if you liked this 'concept'. It would be a little pricey but I think it would be cool if you had the money....

-Power mac g4 cube, highest end model
-usb Bluetooth adapter
-apple wireless keyboard
-apple magic mouse (obviously you would not be able to use multi-touch)
-apple cinema display (some kind of adapter available?)

price:
-powermac g4 cube: 300-600$
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?rt=nc...t=Apple_Desktops&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283
-usb bluetooth adapter 2-10$
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/super-mini-bluetooth-2-0-adapter-dongle-vista-compatible-11866
-apple wireless keyboard: 69 $
http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MC184LL/B?fnode=MTc0MjU4OTY
-Apple magic mouse: 69$
http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB829AM/A
-apple cinema display: 650-1000
I have seen them up as refurbs online for 650, for 24" otherwise they are 1000$
-adapter for display?
probably under 50$

so the cheapest it could be is probably around 1000$
and the most would be 200$
I feel you could do it way cheaper than 1000$ especially if you own a lot of the stuff.
what are your thoughts? I think that setup would look amazing especially with the speakers they came with! It would not have much power but still...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It would work. However, a top of the line 500Mhz Cube would be a bit slow for modern use. A few good upgrades like a faster CPU and better video card would make it run a lot faster. As would maxing out its RAM. For the Studio Display, Apple has never made a 24" model. The biggest was 23 inches. When using a 23" one, you must be using the GeForce2 or better video card. The Cube's low end Rage card doesn't have enough power to drive screens bigger than 20".

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
i was referring to the Apple cinema display. Like the precedor to the thunderbolt display.
I think this setup would look so cool

Those have a mini-DisplayPort connector. You'll have to find a DVI/ADC to DisplayPort/mini-Display for it to work and be using a higher end video card.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Magic Mouse needs 10.5.8 (unless you want only left and right click, without scroll) and using 10.5 on Cube 500 MHz will be PITA. You should add CPU and GPU upgrade to overall cost.
Besides (IMHO), Cube looks best with 23 HD display (acryllic one) :) Alu design looks better with PB G4 or PM G5.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Those have a mini-DisplayPort connector. You'll have to find a DVI/ADC to DisplayPort/mini-Display for it to work and be using a higher end video card.
meh oh well....

Magic Mouse needs 10.5.8 (unless you want only left and right click, without scroll) and using 10.5 on Cube 500 MHz will be PITA. You should add CPU and GPU upgrade to overall cost.
Besides (IMHO), Cube looks best with 23 HD display (acryllic one) :) Alu design looks better with PB G4 or PM G5.

Left and right click is fine. I dont even plan on doing this, I just think this would look awesome

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Right now my Cube I'd 500MHz with a Radeon 7500 card that easily powers a 20" acrylic Cinema Display. I've chosen to run 10.5 on it. The whole setup was less than $200.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
It doesn't need to be a modern Cinema Display, right? I've got a 20" aluminum Cinema display I'm using right now with a regular old DVI connector.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
I bought this set up, a 500mhz and a 15 display for £200.

I have already and upgraded version as well! :D

Attachments

• 500Cube.jpg
    500Cube.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Cube Info.jpg
    Cube Info.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 55

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
wrinkster22:

Your motives here are obviously aesthetic based. Nothing wrong with a pretty computer but it still needs to serve as a tool and compute for you. It will end up being a lot of money for not very much power with the stock CPU and graphics. If you upgrade those then that is a few hundred more added on to the price.

Too many Apple users base everything on aesthetics and forget about the actual user experience. A G4 tower is FAR more practical and expandable and also cheaper.

To me the Cube is one of those very impractical and purely aesthetic Macs in which it's own design gives it a whole list of limitations when it actually comes to computing. If you just want one to look at then get a high res image printed.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
wrinkster22:

Your motives here are obviously aesthetic based. Nothing wrong with a pretty computer but it still needs to serve as a tool and compute for you. It will end up being a lot of money for not very much power with the stock CPU and graphics. If you upgrade those then that is a few hundred more added on to the price.

Too many Apple users base everything on aesthetics and forget about the actual user experience. A G4 tower is FAR more practical and expandable and also cheaper.

To me the Cube is one of those very impractical and purely aesthetic Macs in which it's own design gives it a whole list of limitations when it actually comes to computing. If you just want one to look at then get a high res image printed.

100% agreed. Bang for your buck in terms of specs and expandability is pretty low for the Cubes, I'd personally opt for a Sawtooth instead purely for practicality, but there's definitely something special about the Cubes. Obviously if you're ok with that then go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.