Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redout

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Dublin
Is there any news on whether microsoft have changed their stance on this?

Thing I dont get is that they would make an absolute killing if they were to release an iPad app.

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
No, and it's too bad. All of the Word-type programs on the ipad are pretty much unusable for me.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
You won't have any trouble determining when Microsoft is about to change its mind. Just check the temperature in hell.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Pages by Apple isn't bad.

Unfortunately, it ain't like horseshoes...Close don't count. The various MS Office emulators, as well as Pages, do a fairly good job dealing with simple documents but one reason people use MS Office apps is the highly configurable features they offer. (Sometimes overly configurable but that's another discussion.)

The bottom line is that if you're working with complex spreadsheets (and to a lesser extent with highly formatted Word documents) nothing other than MS Office will suffice.

In general I've found Documents To Go to be the best of the bunch but I'd never trust it for mission critical complex documents.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Unfortunately, it ain't like horseshoes...Close don't count. The various MS Office emulators, as well as Pages, do a fairly good job dealing with simple documents but one reason people use MS Office apps is the highly configurable features they offer. (Sometimes overly configurable but that's another discussion.)

The bottom line is that if you're working with complex spreadsheets (and to a lesser extent with highly formatted Word documents) nothing other than MS Office will suffice.

In general I've found Documents To Go to be the best of the bunch but I'd never trust it for mission critical complex documents.

Oddly, I prefer Pages to Documents to Go. More features, and preserves layouts more.

As for 'nothing beats Office'; yea, I agree; I would love Microsoft to bring something worthwhile to iOS. But I'm not holding my breath.

bluez3

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
Although it would be nice, who's to say a ms office app on iOS is going to be foolproof or even better than the alternatives. Look how quirky ms office was on pocket PC and windows mobile. I never got one to one formatting conversion when I used to have those platforms.

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
Oddly, I prefer Pages to Documents to Go. More features, and preserves layouts more.

As for 'nothing beats Office'; yea, I agree; I would love Microsoft to bring something worthwhile to iOS. But I'm not holding my breath.

I agree it would be nice to have some sort of Office on the iPad. It will be released the day before Apple adds Flash support to its iOS devices.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I'd really like to see a Microsoft Office Suite released for the iphone and especially for the iPad. I think it would be Top App for a long time! I'm sure there would be a price for it but if it wasn't outrageous i'd pay.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

after you factor in the cost of development, updates, and apple's 30 percent tax, i guess the apps would be pricey. in addition, microsoft would be hurting its own brand, windows 8. i wouldn't hold your breath.

besides, word is not one of my favorite programs. i'd like to see us move beyond it someday.

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

after you factor in the cost of development, updates, and apple's 30 percent tax, i guess the apps would be pricey. in addition, microsoft would be hurting its own brand, windows 8. i wouldn't hold your breath.

besides, word is not one of my favorite programs. i'd like to see us move beyond it someday.

Office is way too expensive to begin with. I shudder to think how much it would cost with Apple's 30% figured in there

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

yep. it doesn't make much sense for them to make it or for us to buy it. if a relatively robust product did appear, people would flock to the ipad and microsoft would be done.

i think the question we ought to be asking is why pages and keynote are so limited. what does apple get out of keeping the ipad as a watered down work platform? after all, with footnotes in pages and a few other options apple could dominate the word processing market. they must have a reason for holding back.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006

Microsoft has and will continue to sell Office on the Mac. If protecting Windows 8 is a priority, I'd like to hear the justification in a bit more detail: why encourage Office on the Mac but not sell Office on the iPad?

Also, I do not entirely understand your phrase "30 percent tax". While it is true that the App Store would be the only channel for software sales, all retail sales of software by Apple (or anyone else) has always had a markup. For MS Office on the Mac, Microsoft sells the software to Apple at a wholesale price and Apple sells it at a retail price. There has always been a "tax" on software, but nobody has seemed tremendously upset about it until now. In this regard, the big difference with the app store is that the markup is transparent.

I understand that Microsoft was able to collect all the revenue from Office for Mac software that it sold directly. Was that a significant percentage of retail sales.

Microsoft may be reluctant to port MS Office to the iPad for exactly the same reason that small developers have been reluctant to port their word-processing applications: the lack of an RTF API on iOS.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

office for the mac is software for a platform in a market microsoft dominates. it seems to me that making it available probably does no damage to market share. i don't know about the costs involved, but i bought my copy from microsoft, so i doubt apple got anything. any app on the ipad is funneled through the app store. every sale therefore enriches apple 30%.

in the case of tablets, we all agree that the ipad is rather weak in productivity apps, and i think giving apple a powerful app like office at the same time you are trying to break into the market with windows 8 is a bad idea.

maybe i am wrong. but, if so, why do you think they haven't done it yet?

fhd4

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I'd really like to see a Microsoft Office Suite released for the iphone and especially for the iPad. I think it would be Top App for a long time! I'm sure there would be a price for it but if it wasn't outrageous i'd pay.

With the 30% apple gets from each app, the more Ms Office app microsoft would sells, the more apple would profit from it.

I think it can be called Conflict of Intrest :rolleyes:

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011

I'm completely pulling this out of my rear, but what do you think about MS producing a "Microsoft Office Lite" that would support their own formats perfectly, but leave out some of the less used features?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Not Happening

And I agree with the comments about Pages, it's okay for basic stuff, but it falls down flat in heavily formatted documents like contracts etc.

I had to bite the bullet and by a copy of Office for my iMac.....we may hate Ms, but Office rules the roost

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I understand why Microsoft wouldn't release Office for iPad. I don't think that it would be possible for them to win, if they put everything that people want into the app, it would be to heavy and sluggish on the iPad, and the UI would be awful. If they made it light enough for the iPad and streamlined it so that it looked elegant, many of the weaknesses of the iWork apps would be there. I'm not sure that it would be possible for them to avoid a kicking if they did release it.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
With the 30% apple gets from each app, the more Ms Office app microsoft would sells, the more apple would profit from it.

I think it can be called Conflict of Intrest :rolleyes:

I've never quite understood comments like this. All retailers of MS Office for the Mac charge a markup on the wholesale price of Microsoft's product when they sell it, and Apple has always been the largest retailer of the product. Nobody talked about a "Conflict of Interest" for that product.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I expect that Msoft are working on a Touch-friendly version for Windows 8. If they are smart they will have it as an 8 exclusive for a bit to capture sales.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Microsoft bought as part of a deal when they stole some Apple code £150m worth of Apple shares (worth a lot more now)so have a vested interest in Apple being successful so they should release Office

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.