Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:56 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coming to Mac This Winter

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is coming to the Mac this winter, according to Feral Interactive, a publishing company dedicated to bringing game titles to the Mac:
Quote:
It's just emerged from the Feral laboratories that the Mac has been wheeled into the operating theatre for an extreme gaming enhancement with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the critically-acclaimed prequel to the legendary Deus Ex.

Players control ex-SWAT commander Adam Jensen, who is forced to undergo cybernetic augmentation and thrown into the heart of a global conspiracy. He finds himself in a world where only those who adapt survive.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of the biggest games of 2011, released for the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. Pricing, system requirements and delivery mechanism will be announced later this year.

Hat tip to ZDNet

Article Link: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coming to Mac This Winter

Last edited by arn; Sep 12, 2011 at 11:47 PM.
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:00 PM   #2
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Fantastic news for the Mac. This is a AAA title and it's getting it in a reasonable time frame. Mac gaming seems to be on the rise despite Apple, not because of them.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:08 PM   #3
kjjnk
macrumors member

And like all other of Feral's Mac ports it disappointingly won't be available on Steam.
kjjnk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:09 PM   #4
lordjonny
macrumors regular

Agreed, top news and good effort by Feral. However, as much as Apple refuse to really give themselves to the gaming world I can't blame them as the competition from Bootcamp and consoles just makes it financially unviable.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:14 PM   #5
DESNOS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
Fantastic news for the Mac. This is a AAA title and it's getting it in a reasonable time frame. Mac gaming seems to be on the rise despite Apple, not because of them.
Apple seems to be becoming more aware of the fact that people want to game on their computers though. OpenGL 3.2 is finally available in Lion. It's hard to say where they'll go from here, but I have high hopes they'll get at the very least to 3.3, and maybe 4.0. They essentially went from 2.1 to 3.2, which they've never done before, so at this point it's anyone's guess.
DESNOS is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:15 PM   #6
holmesf
macrumors 6502a

If I purchased the game on Steam, will I be able to play on Mac without repurchasing? It seems the answer is probably that I'd have to repurchase the game (how else if Feral Interactive going to make money?) but thought I'd ask anyway.
holmesf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:15 PM   #7
paige.findley
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Uh? Is that Human Evolution, or Revolution as the image reads?
paige.findley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:18 PM   #8
DESNOS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesf View Post
If I purchased the game on Steam, will I be able to play on Mac without repurchasing? It seems the answer is probably that I'd have to repurchase the game (how else if Feral Interactive going to make money?) but thought I'd ask anyway.
Any SteamPlay game (mac/PC compatible) is instantly available for your macs if you downloaded the PC version. It does seem odd, but that's how Valve decided to roll that feature out.
DESNOS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:21 PM   #9
holmesf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESNOS View Post
Any SteamPlay game (mac/PC compatible) is instantly available for your macs if you downloaded the PC version. It does seem odd, but that's how Valve decided to roll that feature out.
But do we know if Feral is going to support Steamplay here, or even if they're going to make it available on Steam at all?

(sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm pretty ignorant about Steam)
holmesf is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

The game uses Steamworks on the PC side, so it's likely there will be a Steam version. However, this doesn't guarantee it'll be SteamPlay (I hope so--I already bought the PC version and won't buy it again).

Of course, Aspyr sells a steamworks (and multiplayer)-less version of Civ V on the App Store, so Feral could do the same. That would mean axing the achievements though.
Cougarcat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:29 PM   #11
holmesf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
The game uses Steamworks on the PC side, so it's likely there will be a Steam version. However, this doesn't guarantee it'll be SteamPlay (I hope so--I already bought the PC version and won't buy it again).

Of course, Aspyr sells a steamworks (and multiplayer)-less version of Civ V on the App Store, so Feral could do the same. That would mean axing the achievements though.
Thanks for that. That helps me make sense of it.
holmesf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:29 PM   #12
sesnir
macrumors 6502

After beating it on the PC, I spent a bit of effort trying to get it to run on my Mac... I tried WINE and even Parallels. It only ran in Parallels, but the performance is less than ideal. Out of desperation, I even tried it out on Onlive. Yuck.

I liked the game a lot, and honestly, I'll pay for it again if they don't use Steamplay (which they likely won't).

Amazing news... I just wish they'd give the same treatment to bf3 and swtor.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:37 PM   #13
mountains
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesnir View Post
Amazing news... I just wish they'd give the same treatment to bf3 and swtor.
Amen. The whole "PC only" idea seems a bit antiquated right now; there's as many Macs as PCs on my college campus, so surely there's a market out there.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:49 PM   #14
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesf View Post
Thanks for that. That helps me make sense of it.
Just an addendum: It probably won't be on Steam, just the MAS. They ported Borderlands which I didn't realize does use Steamworks on the PC side.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:51 PM   #15
sesnir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountains View Post
Amen. The whole "PC only" idea seems a bit antiquated right now; there's as many Macs as PCs on my college campus, so surely there's a market out there.
Agreed. Sure, Apple could put in a bit more effort (OpenGL 4, pay publishers to port their games in exchange for a percentage of sales, make something like an iMac with a desktop gfx card, etc) and I hope we get there one day... but I think we're still years away.

If Apple was a bit more pro-gaming, it'd help too... at times, it feels like we're all alone out here
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:59 PM   #16
Icaras
macrumors 601

Great news! I hope the game gets 5.1/7.1 surround support, via the thunderbolt/ATI HDMI output.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:01 PM   #17
Bluefusion
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Bluefusion
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Glad to see this.

The game is EXCELLENT (been running it in Bootcamp), and a worthy sequel to the original (we'll pretend the second game, Invisible War, never happened). It's one of the finest games created in several years, and compared to Mac titles, DX:HR may well be one of the best games released in the past decade. Anyone with even a PASSING interest should be excited to pick this up when it launches! You'll love it.

(Can you tell I'm a fan? NO game anywhere has ever matched the original's depth and potential, so this is really exciting.)
Bluefusion is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:07 PM   #18
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesnir View Post
Agreed. Sure, Apple could put in a bit more effort (OpenGL 4, pay publishers to port their games in exchange for a percentage of sales, make something like an iMac with a desktop gfx card, etc) and I hope we get there one day... but I think we're still years away.

If Apple was a bit more pro-gaming, it'd help too... at times, it feels like we're all alone out here
Apple is a hardware company and they can't (or will not) compete on price. A pro-gaming attitude would not help Apple earn more money (i.e. people will keep buying gaming PCs because of the price differential).
Plutonius is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:15 PM   #19
robertpolson
macrumors member

Will it work on Macbook Air

I have a bad feeling that it will not work on Macbook Air 2011. Windows version did not work on my air 2011.
robertpolson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:22 PM   #20
Mirrors
macrumors member

I installed Windows(Bootcamp) and it runs perfect so it'll be great to not boot into windows to play it
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:31 PM   #21
toddybody

Cool beans yo. Fantastic game...feels so wonderfully PC (which is a huge compliment in a sea of console mediocrity). Glad to see Mac folks get it.
toddybody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:54 PM   #22
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Good news, you can play it on a Mac right now.

Last edited by shurcooL; Sep 13, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:16 PM   #23
RichardBeer
macrumors regular

But will it be a native or cider port, this is the question. Maybe if more titles start creeping onto the platform, Apple will be more interested in bringing the OpenGL up to speed, maybe they should license DirectX from MS :P
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:34 PM   #24
FroMann
macrumors 6502

Steam Play or App Store? I'll probably end up buying it on PS3 either way.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:49 PM   #25
cuestakid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroMann View Post
Steam Play or App Store? I'll probably end up buying it on PS3 either way.
I am hoping steam but i think that it will be App Store.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion