Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

In-Correct

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
DFW, TX USA
I read about HFS+ can't have more than 65,000 files on it. Also, I think there was file system errors on the hard drive. :( So I was going to erase anyways so I could partition. I found HFS Explorer, and if HFS Explorer had read AND write support, I would have reformatted in HFS+ (I have a HP Mini Windows XP netbook, which has a large storage space in the internal hard drive that I put all my files on for now.)

But since HFS Explorer does not support writing to it... :rolleyes:

I formatted with Mac OS X's Disk Utility. with "MS-DOS" format.

Mac OS 9.2.2 does not mount all the volumes!! :mad: I tried reducing the amount of volumes from 16 to down to 7. Partition is extremely recommended with FAT file system and this hard drive is a 160GB one (also it wasn't entirely filled up) and it still does not have any files copied to it yet.

Why is Mac OS 9.2.2 not loading all the volumes?! :confused:
Is it one of those annoying little things that Mac OS 9.2.2 has?
Should I just put a few volumes as HFS+

I AM going to get more hard drives, and divide them by different file systems. One will be FAT, another HFS+, another NTFS, and when I get Amiga computers, ...whatever file systems Amigas use. etc. I am also doing the same thing with my Jump Drives. A 4GB one is FAT, and another 4GB one is HFS+

Any solutions? I cannot buy any additional hard drives for most likely a few months and... since the volumes all mount in Windows XP, AND yes, I am using the Safely Remove Hardware button also. so should I just only connect this one to Windows XP as this computer has faster USB ports? (but I only have one netbook, and 3 imac g3s, and 3 ibook g3s.)

In-Correct

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
DFW, TX USA
I Was Mistaken:

It ended up being a FAT32, and I did not need to partition because a FAT32 can in fact be 160gb.

I ended up redoing it and putting only one FAT32 volume in it.

It will mount on Mac OS 9.2.2 now.

:confused: but :)

Also...
The main issue that I know of with FAT, is the F should stand for Fragmenting...so I should defragment regularly. :eek: ;)

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
HFS+ has a maximum of 4,294,967,295 (2^32-1) files, for Sys 8.1, 9, and later. HFS was limited to 16 bits, or 65535.

Maximum number of volumes (up to version 9.x): http://support.apple.com/kb/TA21924?viewlocale=en_US
2) At system boot, the event queue for the Finder can accept 20 volumes plus the startup volume. Once the computer has completed the boot process, you may use a disk utility to mount as many additional volumes as there are available file control blocks. This number is variable depending upon how many applications are running, files open, or other operating system processes which require file control blocks.​

In-Correct

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
DFW, TX USA
Oh. I was mistaken again lol:

That makes sense now. Not only did I think that the FAT limits were the same as FAT32, I misread the HFS+ .... thinking that the HFS limits were actually the HFS+ Limits!! :eek: :D

not really :confused: now.

Thanks for helping. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.