Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:33 PM   #1
teehawk
macrumors newbie

Bricked 40gb iPod Photo. Possible Hard Drive Switch?

Hey guys! I have been doing some research for the past week or so but have only found some conflicting/confusing answers, so I figured I'd just ask!

Alrighty, so I have a 40gb iPod Photo that is bricked. The battery has been swapped out, but nothing happens when it is plugged in. I don't hear the hard drive spinning or anything. I don't really care about the iPod, more of just whats on the hard drive. Is there a way to get at the music? It could just be a logic board issue, but I was thinking of simply pulling out the hard drive and putting it in an external hard drive enclosure. I found these two on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1&name=1.8%22

Would there be any kind of interface compatibility problems with either of these? Also, once a swap is made, how would I go about pulling the music off of it?

Any help is GREATY appreciated. Thanks!
teehawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:41 PM   #2
njaremka
macrumors 6502

neither of those enclosures will work - the drive interface is wrong.

you need one with a PATA-ZIF interface, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...VFEH7GXX8V9HEZ

once you get the drive installed, and get it to work, its just a matter of navigating around and sucking the files off.
njaremka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:48 PM   #3
teehawk
macrumors newbie

Excellent. Thank you so very much! Will I run into any issues as far as my computer or itunes mistaking it for an iPod? Will I have access to the files or will it say I need to reformat it, making the whole process moot?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:52 PM   #4
njaremka
macrumors 6502

are you running a pc or a mac? has the ipod been formatted and sync'd on a pc or a mac? if it was formatted for a pc, either a pc or a mac will be able to read from it. if it was formatted for a mac, only a mac will be able to read from it.

i haven't personally done what you plan on doing, but it makes sense that it should work fine.

alternately, is it possible that when you replaced the battery that you didnt get the battery cable seated properly? or some other cable got dislodged?
njaremka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:02 PM   #5
teehawk
macrumors newbie

It's always a possibility that I botched the battery install, but I believe I did it correctly. I'll double check everything on that front is ok before I transfer the hard drive. As far as mac or pc, I can't even remember! I use both daily. Plus the iPod hasn't been updated in almost 3 years. At least I'll have access to both mac and pc I just ordered the enclosure you suggested. Should be here in a couple of days!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:43 PM   #6
line429
macrumors newbie

TeeHawk,

How did the enclosure work for you? I'm in the same predicament
line429 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:12 PM   #7
line429
macrumors newbie

This worked:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details