Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teehawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Hey guys! I have been doing some research for the past week or so but have only found some conflicting/confusing answers, so I figured I'd just ask!

Alrighty, so I have a 40gb iPod Photo that is bricked. The battery has been swapped out, but nothing happens when it is plugged in. I don't hear the hard drive spinning or anything. I don't really care about the iPod, more of just whats on the hard drive. Is there a way to get at the music? It could just be a logic board issue, but I was thinking of simply pulling out the hard drive and putting it in an external hard drive enclosure. I found these two on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008040 600006256&IsNodeId=1&name=1.8"

Would there be any kind of interface compatibility problems with either of these? Also, once a swap is made, how would I go about pulling the music off of it?

Any help is GREATY appreciated. Thanks!

teehawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Excellent. Thank you so very much! Will I run into any issues as far as my computer or itunes mistaking it for an iPod? Will I have access to the files or will it say I need to reformat it, making the whole process moot?

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
are you running a pc or a mac? has the ipod been formatted and sync'd on a pc or a mac? if it was formatted for a pc, either a pc or a mac will be able to read from it. if it was formatted for a mac, only a mac will be able to read from it.

i haven't personally done what you plan on doing, but it makes sense that it should work fine.

alternately, is it possible that when you replaced the battery that you didnt get the battery cable seated properly? or some other cable got dislodged?

teehawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
It's always a possibility that I botched the battery install, but I believe I did it correctly. I'll double check everything on that front is ok before I transfer the hard drive. As far as mac or pc, I can't even remember! I use both daily. Plus the iPod hasn't been updated in almost 3 years. At least I'll have access to both mac and pc :) I just ordered the enclosure you suggested. Should be here in a couple of days!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.