Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prawnstar3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
I posted this in the wrong forum before and I don't know how to remove, so please excuse me if I have done wrong...

Iphone 3g will not restore
Hey!

I have an Iphone 3g that has firmware 4.2.1 on it with the ipad baseband. The phone is stuck in recovery mode and itunes will not update the phone with a custom firmware.

I have read through a lot of posts on this site about how to correct this, heres what I have tried so far:

Restore original firmware through itunes (error as the baseband prevents it)
Entered in pwned DFU mode with redsnow 0.9.6b6
Restored custom firmware with itunes (shift+restore)
Itunes cannot restore firmware on iphone Error (6)

No luck.

Made custom firmware using snowbreeze 2.2.1 and enetered in pwned DFU (greenpoison) through snowbreeze.
Restored custom firmware with itunes
Itunes cannot restore firmware on iphone Error (6)

Tried greenoison, will not recognize DFU mode.

Uninstalled itunes, updated to latest software
still error (6)

Downloaded REC_boot and original firmware 3.1.3

restored original firmware through itunes (3.1.3) error...
entered into pwned DFU mode
Installed custom firmware 3.1.3 (downloaded and made with pwnage tool)
Error 6

Tried to install 4.2.1 jailbreak using redsnow it gets stuck on pineapple picture while writing the kernel.

I am at a loss on what to do next, it seems everything i try brings me back to the same place... Recovery mode and Error (6)

If any of you people with more knowledge than me can help with this situation I will be glad that the phone is no longer a paperweight.

Last edited:

prawnstar3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
I believe error 6 is a hardware issue.
So you're SOL.

Thanks for your reply.

I did a bit of research about the error code and this is what I found referenced from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error6

Error 6: All of the steps in this article apply to this issue. Following Troubleshooting security software frequently resolves this error. There may be third-party software installed that modifies your default packet size in Windows by inserting a TcpWindowSize entry into your Registry. Your default packet size being set incorrectly can cause this error. Contact the manufacturer of the software that installed the packet size modification for assistance or follow this article by Microsoft...

So i'll have to Try and do it with default tcp/ip settings and firewall turned off.

Can someone tell me if the steps I have taken are the correct ones, or how they would go about restoring an iPhone 3G 4.2.1 with the iPad baseband installed.

prawnstar3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
So turns out I was not SOL as AJ put it...

Incase anyone is reading this and in a similar situation, the solution was to reset the TCP/IP settings on my pc, I also turned off my firewall to allow itunes unprecedented access to the internet.

Here's how to resolve Error code 6 in itunes when restoring firmware:

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:1.To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER:
cmd (must be run as administrator)

2.At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot the PC.

Use Original Firmware from apple 4.2.1 to enter into Pwned DFU mode with Redsnow 0.9.6b6

Use sn0wbreeze-v2.2.1 or pwnage tool to create a custom firmware (you can use it for pwned DFU too)

Open Itunes and press shift and restore and navigate to the custom firmware you just created.

Give it a couple of minutes and you Iphone will jump back into life and create a smile on your face.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

g0ttequila

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2011
So turns out I was not SOL as AJ put it...

Incase anyone is reading this and in a similar situation, the solution was to reset the TCP/IP settings on my pc, I also turned off my firewall to allow itunes unprecedented access to the internet.

Here's how to resolve Error code 6 in itunes when restoring firmware:

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:1.To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER:
cmd (must be run as administrator)

2.At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot the PC.

Use Original Firmware from apple 4.2.1 to enter into Pwned DFU mode with Redsnow 0.9.6b6

Use sn0wbreeze-v2.2.1 or pwnage tool to create a custom firmware (you can use it for pwned DFU too)

Open Itunes and press shift and restore and navigate to the custom firmware you just created.

Give it a couple of minutes and you Iphone will jump back into life and create a smile on your face.

Enjoy!

have the same problem as you had, did all those steps; but still error 6. SOL? fml

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.