Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
just confirmed this with both the dual and single processor versions of the script :)

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
Will we see any boost to F@H in Tiger?

Is it possible we'll see a performance boost on G5 machines running Tiger? Here's a quote from Apple's Tiger Developer link:

Moreover, unmodified applications that use the system math functions will get an automatic performance boost on the G5.
Link (quoted language at the bottom of page).

What made me think of this was the increase in Doom 3's performance under Tiger, at least according to barefeats.com's Tiger Shootout, which quoted the above language.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
well if u have a fast machine with a fast video card, tiger's new technologies should take less CPU and more GPU, leaving more cycles for folding

other than that i have no idea

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I guess we will have to use our old weekly output as a control, and see if our new numbers go up due to the OS Change.

However, now that I have Tiger loaded on my G5, it is now (as of 1 hour ago) my Primary macintosh, and my B&W is now retired to a simple itunes server.

So I really won't be able to compare my output with my prior numbers.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
840quadra said:
I guess we will have to use our old weekly output as a control, and see if our new numbers go up due to the OS Change.
im pretty sure most of our output as a team comes from PCs. but if u mean on an individual level i would be curious to see if it makes a significant difference. there's prob too many user and system variables to attribute a change to just the OS

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
Best comparison would be same protein, before and after update to Tiger. Unfortunately, you can't determine what you'll be getting.

I posted the question on the official Mac client folding forum. We'll see if anyone from Stanford reads it and replies.

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
How to compare folding under Tiger and Panther ...

Here's what was suggested on the folding site:
The easy way to compare would be to have two identical mac one with Tiger, the other with Panther : download one wu on one of them, stop fah, copy the wu to the other mac, and start folding on both
Now, I can't afford to go purchase a second G5 just for the purposes of comparing folding in Tiger and Panther :D However, I could download the wu, copy it to a USB drive, run it in Panther, upgrade to Tiger, then run it again. All I need to know is what files to copy - Just the ones in the "work" folder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.