Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:20 PM   #1
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Any tweaks/hacks to get the scroll arrows back in Lion?

Any tweaks/hacks to get the scroll arrows back in Lion? My mum wants the scrolling arrows back on her iMac... So, are there any tweaks or hacks to bring back the scroll arrows?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:01 PM   #2
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

So I guess this isn't possible? Oh well, Lion is still young. Someone will probably make a hack for this eventually.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:05 AM   #3
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

I would go search the forum a little, because this has been talked about a lot. And, no it's not possible. Yet.
Comeagain? is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:06 AM   #4
jtimleck
macrumors newbie

This is SO ANNOYING... (and the "just use the scrolling option" people can be quiet please)... What the scroll arrows allowed you is PRECISION. When I work in Word, for example, I need to be PRECISE going from line to line, not clicking the in the scroll area and "hoping" I hit the right point. And using the up and down arrows is inconsistent from app to app. This one was an utter fail.
jtimleck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Any tweaks/hacks to get the scroll arrows back in Lion? My mum wants the scrolling arrows back on her iMac... So, are there any tweaks or hacks to bring back the scroll arrows?
No "tweaks" or "hacks" needed - have you bothered to visit System Preferences>General>Show Scroll Bars>Always?
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:11 PM   #6
paulsalter
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to paulsalter Send a message via AIM to paulsalter Send a message via MSN to paulsalter Send a message via Yahoo to paulsalter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
No "tweaks" or "hacks" needed - have you bothered to visit System Preferences>General>Show Scroll Bars>Always?
Where abouts in that page does it give you the option of getting the arrows back ?

I can see options for scrollbars but not the arrows
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Where abouts in that page does it give you the option of getting the arrows back ?

I can see options for scrollbars but not the arrows
Nope, not possible.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:51 PM   #8
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
No, thats not it. Its getting the ARROWS back.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 04:14 PM   #9
mkg
macrumors newbie

SCROLL ARROW Work-around for LION !!!!!!!

I've been miserable since I upgraded to Lion because of this scroll arrows that they forgot to put in. My wrists and arms were really stressed. Yesterday, while in a training class for ePubs, I found out about a possible workaround, a software called "Pathfinder 5" which gives you an entirely different finder altogether. You can access it here:

http://cocoatech.com/

Version 5.8.1 works for Lion.

IT is going to download the trial version for me and I'll let you know how it goes. I watched the video on their site and the additional capabilities for this download look great. It gives you dual windows, tabs, drop/drag stacks. Apparently it does even more than what's shown there. I can't wait to try it. I'll repost again once I've had a chance to get used to it.

I couldn't figure out how to post this on Apple's site. I'm wondering if they "closed" the conversations [have never posted there before] so if you know how, please spread the word.
mkg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:29 PM   #10
jpvento
macrumors newbie

use the up and down arrows on the mac keyboard

use the up and down arrows on the mac keyboard. in most cases you will get more precision, than just trying to drag the scrollbar button.
jpvento is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:36 PM   #11
Erikthefinn
macrumors newbie

Any tweaks/hacks to get the scroll arrows back in Lion?

Yes. Lion can have the scroll arrows put back into its windows. I have done it. I have also done it with with some cool effects thrown in for fun. It is done by modifying the Artfile. Use artFileTool. Google is your friend here. The path to the Artfile is: System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A

Remember to make a backup of the Artfile first. You must log out & back in to see the complete changes.

Btw, Path Finder also supports the 'pinch to zoom' of icons in its windows so you will have that feature back with Path Finder too!
Erikthefinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2014, 07:46 AM   #12
martimer
macrumors newbie

Is there an update for those of us using OSX.9?
martimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:36 PM   #13
Erikthefinn
macrumors newbie

Regarding using this with Mavericks

For Mavericks, (10.9) The ArtFile is very different as it is for each release of OS X. Therefore, you are kind of 'back to the drawing board' so to say.

You need to manually edit the various parts that correspond to the Scroll Bars in Mavericks with artFileTool.

Then copy the ArtFile to : System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A in the Mavericks installation and boot into Mavericks to see the effect it has there.

It is very tedious, but also very worthwhile.
Erikthefinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 06:30 AM   #14
neuropulse
macrumors newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikthefinn View Post
Yes. Lion can have the scroll arrows put back into its windows. I have done it. I have also done it with with some cool effects thrown in for fun. It is done by modifying the Artfile. Use artFileTool. Google is your friend here. The path to the Artfile is: System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A

Remember to make a backup of the Artfile first. You must log out & back in to see the complete changes.

Btw, Path Finder also supports the 'pinch to zoom' of icons in its windows so you will have that feature back with Path Finder too!

Erikthefinn, isn't Artfile a graphics file? How can editing a graphics file add new functionality? Are you certain this adds functioning toolbar arrows to the scrollbars?
neuropulse is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion