Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mubo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I have read and joined the speculation, over the last few weeks about the next iPhone,
But who would you say is the person within Apple why these phones are so popular? I understand its a team effort but if you had to put the success with one person who would you choose?

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
I have read and joined the speculation, over the last few weeks about the next iPhone,
But who would you say is the person within Apple why these phones are so popular? I understand its a team effort but if you had to put the success with one person who would you choose?

Steve Jobs.

he was the first recruiter for Apple.

but seriously, watch his keynotes from his comeback in '98 til now. This man is a genius.

As Eric Schmidt said a couple weeks ago, Steve Jobs is probably the best CEO in the last 100 years. He's literally up there with Edison, and Henry Ford.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
You said it yourself. It's a TEAM of people. Some could argue Steve Jobs because he is CEO and has final say over everything that goes on. You could say Jonny Ives because of the beautiful designs. You could say the marketing team. You could say the iOS team.

The better question is WHAT makes the iPhone successful, not WHO.

And my answer to that is a number of things.

-Ease of use
-The Apple name
-Sleekness
-Marketing
-Apps
-Beauty
-Functionality
-Ecosystem
-Apple Stores
-Other products Apple sells
-The team within Apple

mubo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Ok you could take this down to 2..
Apple made Mr Jobs CEO again and Mr Ives visualised the most iconic designs in technology? Who out of those would you put the success of the phone too?
Design? Marketing?

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
steve deserves credit for putting the team together. his greatest achievement isn't the iPhone or iPad, but the people who put those together. in this way, both he and the team are responsible for their shared success. apple's dna allows talent to work with talent, to help each other in ways that a normal corporate bureaucracy doesn't.

design - ives
marketing - shiller
operations - cook
iOS - forstall
os x - serlet (and now federighi)
itunes - cue
mac hw - mansfield (and i think rubenstein before)
retail/support - johnson

Last edited:

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA

Steve Jobs + Apple's marketing = success

It's probably the marketing that's making it (and almost all of their products) successful. Without the marketing, they don't succeed as much. Without Steve Jobs, it can still hold strong as long as their marketing stays.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
the iPhone is so successful because it's an iPhone. Because Steve Jobs and the rest of Apple has such fantastic marketing, and releases great products, and have captivated the consumers. They've created a following for themselves. So even when they screw up big time, like how they did with the iPhone 4, it'll still sell well...because it's an iPhone.

haticK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2011
New York
I have a Droid X and I went into a Verizon store the other day and played with the iPhone 4 for the first time (I've played with older ones in the past). I was amazed at how much better the touchscreen still is compared to Android phones that have come out much later. Even after all this time no one can match how fluid and responsive the screen is. One of the main reasons I want an iPhone.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
It's so popular because there was nothing like it before it came out - and people remember that. As for Apple, they have a good Model where they do not only focus about specs or on releasing a new phone every week.

Muro

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2011
Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
Steve Jobs.

he was the first recruiter for Apple.

but seriously, watch his keynotes from his comeback in '98 til now. This man is a genius.

As Eric Schmidt said a couple weeks ago, Steve Jobs is probably the best CEO in the last 100 years. He's literally up there with Edison, and Henry Ford.

Bravo really, Jobs deserves it.

stu00a

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
Steve Job's part was big.
But ultimately, I think their software is the most biggest part of succession.

Very easy to use, user friendly.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I cant believe that even Apple folks are coming in here, buying the phandroid line, and stating the iPhone is successful cause of marketing.

The iPhone is successful because it's a damn good product. The end.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland

The Designer :D

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Combo of jobs and ive

Steve is the greatest orator of the last 100 years and his keynotes have got publicity it would cost ad agencies billions to buy, Steve's iPad 2 keynote made front pages all over the world

But the main reason for Apple success is the sexyness and the cool factor, whip out an iPhone at school or college and you are guaranteed to get a date and most likely have several girls fighting over you even if you are a ginger, take out an iPad in public you will have loads of people saying to you "omg wow is that an iPad ?"

ahbdesign

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Steve jobs.

He's the one that brought apple back up to the company it should have always been. He built an ecosystem for it which started with iTunes.

Then came the iPod. Then the macs got popular. And when the iPhone released, there was no phone that had so much inbuilt memory with a capacitive screen. And the rest of the iPhone releases have added the right amount of 'missing' features which have been enough for people to upgrade.

Not to mention, Jony Ive's brilliant designing skills in making all apple products ooze sex appeal.

And to me, I feel that steve jobs has played the most important part, because he has always said, we at apple make products that we would want to use as well. Whatever could be said of Job's excellent business skills, I still feel that they make products that they would love to use.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
As with most Apple products, it's about design and marketing. No other company on the planet does a better job marketing their products than Apple. They find a need for a product, develop one that works and then market the hell out of it. Plain and simple.

Their marketing is so effective it turned the hater in me into a semi-quasi fanboy :D

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Why is this thread about CEOs when the title asks about the iPhone? The inability to write coherently will be the downfall of mankind.

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

chinagirl_01.jpg

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Why is this thread about CEOs when the title asks about the iPhone? The inability to write coherently will be the downfall of mankind.

If it was not for a certain CEO 17 years ago there would not even be an Apple today let alone the products we are getting so excited about.

Apple would be some sub division of Dell or HP churning out high end products for graphic designers and architects, there would be no iPod's no iPad's no iPhone's but for Steve Jobs rescuing Apple

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I have a Droid X and I went into a Verizon store the other day and played with the iPhone 4 for the first time (I've played with older ones in the past). I was amazed at how much better the touchscreen still is compared to Android phones that have come out much later. Even after all this time no one can match how fluid and responsive the screen is. One of the main reasons I want an iPhone.

But is that hardware.... Or is it just better underlying software driving the whole experience?

I think it is a package deal, apple controls the hardware and it makes the whole experience that much better. I don't have to think about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.