Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:33 PM   #1
mubo
macrumors regular

Why is the iPhone so successful?

I have read and joined the speculation, over the last few weeks about the next iPhone,
But who would you say is the person within Apple why these phones are so popular? I understand its a team effort but if you had to put the success with one person who would you choose?
mubo is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:39 PM   #2
aohus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mubo View Post
I have read and joined the speculation, over the last few weeks about the next iPhone,
But who would you say is the person within Apple why these phones are so popular? I understand its a team effort but if you had to put the success with one person who would you choose?
Steve Jobs.

he was the first recruiter for Apple.

but seriously, watch his keynotes from his comeback in '98 til now. This man is a genius.

As Eric Schmidt said a couple weeks ago, Steve Jobs is probably the best CEO in the last 100 years. He's literally up there with Edison, and Henry Ford.
aohus is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:41 PM   #3
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

You said it yourself. It's a TEAM of people. Some could argue Steve Jobs because he is CEO and has final say over everything that goes on. You could say Jonny Ives because of the beautiful designs. You could say the marketing team. You could say the iOS team.

The better question is WHAT makes the iPhone successful, not WHO.

And my answer to that is a number of things.

-Ease of use
-The Apple name
-Sleekness
-Marketing
-Apps
-Beauty
-Functionality
-Ecosystem
-Apple Stores
-Other products Apple sells
-The team within Apple
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:54 PM   #4
mubo
macrumors regular

Ok you could take this down to 2..
Apple made Mr Jobs CEO again and Mr Ives visualised the most iconic designs in technology? Who out of those would you put the success of the phone too?
Design? Marketing?
mubo is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:02 PM   #5
fizzwinkus
macrumors 6502a

steve deserves credit for putting the team together. his greatest achievement isn't the iPhone or iPad, but the people who put those together. in this way, both he and the team are responsible for their shared success. apple's dna allows talent to work with talent, to help each other in ways that a normal corporate bureaucracy doesn't.

design - ives
marketing - shiller
operations - cook
iOS - forstall
os x - serlet (and now federighi)
itunes - cue
mac hw - mansfield (and i think rubenstein before)
retail/support - johnson

Last edited by fizzwinkus; Sep 15, 2011 at 09:08 PM.
fizzwinkus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:04 PM   #6
applefan289
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Steve Jobs + Apple's marketing = success

It's probably the marketing that's making it (and almost all of their products) successful. Without the marketing, they don't succeed as much. Without Steve Jobs, it can still hold strong as long as their marketing stays.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

It just works.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:21 PM   #8
Reach9
macrumors 68020

the iPhone is so successful because it's an iPhone. Because Steve Jobs and the rest of Apple has such fantastic marketing, and releases great products, and have captivated the consumers. They've created a following for themselves. So even when they screw up big time, like how they did with the iPhone 4, it'll still sell well...because it's an iPhone.
Reach9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:48 PM   #9
haticK
macrumors 6502a

I have a Droid X and I went into a Verizon store the other day and played with the iPhone 4 for the first time (I've played with older ones in the past). I was amazed at how much better the touchscreen still is compared to Android phones that have come out much later. Even after all this time no one can match how fluid and responsive the screen is. One of the main reasons I want an iPhone.
haticK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Pink∆Floyd
Banned

Great marketing techniques and Steve Jobs of course
Pink∆Floyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:06 PM   #11
wordoflife
macrumors 604

It's so popular because there was nothing like it before it came out - and people remember that. As for Apple, they have a good Model where they do not only focus about specs or on releasing a new phone every week.
wordoflife is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:32 PM   #12
Muro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohus View Post
Steve Jobs.

he was the first recruiter for Apple.

but seriously, watch his keynotes from his comeback in '98 til now. This man is a genius.

As Eric Schmidt said a couple weeks ago, Steve Jobs is probably the best CEO in the last 100 years. He's literally up there with Edison, and Henry Ford.
Bravo really, Jobs deserves it.
Muro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:36 PM   #13
stu00a
macrumors member

Steve Job's part was big.
But ultimately, I think their software is the most biggest part of succession.

Very easy to use, user friendly.
stu00a is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:52 PM   #14
kre62
macrumors 65816

I cant believe that even Apple folks are coming in here, buying the phandroid line, and stating the iPhone is successful cause of marketing.

The iPhone is successful because it's a damn good product. The end.
kre62 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:48 AM   #15
mpossoff
macrumors 68020

The operating system and the hardware are made by same company.
mpossoff is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:05 AM   #16
Futhark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The Designer
Futhark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:30 AM   #17
CWT1965
macrumors 6502

Combo of jobs and ive

Steve is the greatest orator of the last 100 years and his keynotes have got publicity it would cost ad agencies billions to buy, Steve's iPad 2 keynote made front pages all over the world

But the main reason for Apple success is the sexyness and the cool factor, whip out an iPhone at school or college and you are guaranteed to get a date and most likely have several girls fighting over you even if you are a ginger, take out an iPad in public you will have loads of people saying to you "omg wow is that an iPad ?"
CWT1965 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:40 AM   #18
ahbdesign
macrumors member

Steve jobs.

He's the one that brought apple back up to the company it should have always been. He built an ecosystem for it which started with iTunes.

Then came the iPod. Then the macs got popular. And when the iPhone released, there was no phone that had so much inbuilt memory with a capacitive screen. And the rest of the iPhone releases have added the right amount of 'missing' features which have been enough for people to upgrade.

Not to mention, Jony Ive's brilliant designing skills in making all apple products ooze sex appeal.

And to me, I feel that steve jobs has played the most important part, because he has always said, we at apple make products that we would want to use as well. Whatever could be said of Job's excellent business skills, I still feel that they make products that they would love to use.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:05 AM   #19
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

As with most Apple products, it's about design and marketing. No other company on the planet does a better job marketing their products than Apple. They find a need for a product, develop one that works and then market the hell out of it. Plain and simple.

Their marketing is so effective it turned the hater in me into a semi-quasi fanboy
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:05 AM   #20
mcdj
macrumors 604

Why is this thread about CEOs when the title asks about the iPhone? The inability to write coherently will be the downfall of mankind.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:08 AM   #21
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

PCMag's Tim Bajarin and others offering their input as to why Apple collectively is so successful.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391929,00.asp

Great insight, in my opinion.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:24 AM   #22
sn
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

sn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:27 AM   #23
CWT1965
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
Why is this thread about CEOs when the title asks about the iPhone? The inability to write coherently will be the downfall of mankind.
If it was not for a certain CEO 17 years ago there would not even be an Apple today let alone the products we are getting so excited about.

Apple would be some sub division of Dell or HP churning out high end products for graphic designers and architects, there would be no iPod's no iPad's no iPhone's but for Steve Jobs rescuing Apple
CWT1965 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:34 AM   #24
MannieSolo
macrumors member

Talking

Its Magic
MannieSolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:42 AM   #25
TraceyS/FL
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by haticK View Post
I have a Droid X and I went into a Verizon store the other day and played with the iPhone 4 for the first time (I've played with older ones in the past). I was amazed at how much better the touchscreen still is compared to Android phones that have come out much later. Even after all this time no one can match how fluid and responsive the screen is. One of the main reasons I want an iPhone.
But is that hardware.... Or is it just better underlying software driving the whole experience?

I think it is a package deal, apple controls the hardware and it makes the whole experience that much better. I don't have to think about it.
TraceyS/FL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone