Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the new 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display now shipping to customers, Apple has posted a new support document outlining what can and can not be accomplished with multiple monitors on Thunderbolt-enabled Mac systems.

thunderbolt_displays_macbook_pro.jpg

As far as compatibility, Apple notes that all Thunderbolt-enabled systems with the exception of the MacBook Air can handle two Thunderbolt displays, with a caveat for the 13-inch MacBook Pro being that the computer's internal display will not function if two Thunderbolt displays are connected. The high-end $799 Mac mini with discrete AMD graphics is also capable of running a third display via HDMI.

- MacBook Air (Mid 2011): One Thunderbolt display.

- MacBook Pro (Early 2011): Two Thunderbolt displays. Connecting a second Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) to a 13-inch MacBook Pro will make the screen on the MacBook Pro turn black. This is expected behavior.

- iMac (Mid 2011 and Late 2011): Two Thunderbolt displays. iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) with two Thunderbolt ports supports a total of two Thunderbolt displays regardless of which Thunderbolt port each display is connected to.

- Mac mini (Mid 2011): Two Thunderbolt displays. Mac mini with AMD graphics can support a HDMI compatible device on its HDMI port when using two Thunderbolt displays.

One other note of interest that will be a disappointment for some users is the disclosure that users will not be able to daisy chain a Mini DisplayPort display off an Apple Thunderbolt Display.
Mini DisplayPort displays will not light up if connected to the Thunderbolt port on an Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch).
The revelation is a bit of a surprise, as Mini DisplayPort displays can currently be daisy chained off other Thunderbolt peripherals. Some users had been hoping to reuse their existing Mini DisplayPort displays as part of multiple-monitor setups using the new Thunderbolt display, but will apparently be unable to do so.

Finally, Apple recommends that users daisy chaining the Apple Thunderbolt Display with Thunderbolt storage devices connect the display directly to the computer's Thunderbolt port, with other peripherals daisy chaining off of the display.

Article Link: Apple Thunderbolt Display with Multiple Monitors: No Daisy Chaining Mini DisplayPort Monitors

Poll Smoker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Apple knows what's best for you.

Do not question Apple.

Apple loves you. If they want to handcuff their product, it's not for you to question.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Kind of makes sense actually. But what I'm really interested in is does this mean they are being released?!?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Wow... so other thunderbolt devices allow MDP to be used at the end of the chain, but not Apple's own display?

Forcing the TB displays to be the first in line makes me think something's not quite right.

donklaus

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
Just saved me a thousand bucks

Adding my existing 24" IPS monitor as a daisy-chain from my as-of-yet-unordered t-bolt display was my grand scheme. So now its off.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
- MacBook Pro (Early 2011): Two Thunderbolt displays. Connecting a second Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) to a 13-inch MacBook Pro will make the screen on the MacBook Pro turn black. This is expected behavior.

Sweet! Now all I need is the cash for two of these suckers!

Take that macbook airs!

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Wow... so other thunderbolt devices allow MDP to be used at the end of the chain, but not Apple's own display?

Forcing the TB displays to be the first in line makes me think something's not quite right.

Apple's hedging it's bets in case 3rd party makers skimp on quality parts. It's smart to have the largest power drawing item first...in any situation.
I'm guessing the screen could flicker.

The X Factor

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Wow, this sucks. I wanted an air with two 27" tb displays. Glad I didn't buy an air. Now I know I'll havta wait till the 17" mbp refresh hits mid 2012. What a bummer for those that bought airs thinking they could daisy chain two!

duckduckgoose

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
i just got my thunderbolt display today and i tried daisy chaining it with my old 24" acd and it yer it doesn't work!

Tazjin

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Apple's hedging it's bets in case 3rd party makers skimp on quality parts. It's smart to have the largest power drawing item first...in any situation.
I'm guessing the screen could flicker.

But the display has its own power connection cable. I doubt it'd be possible to power an entire 27" display through Thunderbolt.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Folks, you do know that there is daisy chaining of thunderbolt displays?

You can't daisy chain Mini DisplayPort display either, so what's new?

Jmwh

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Question: Toggle Display

If I buy a MAC mini as well as a MBA (or MBP) is there an easy way for me to toggle the Thunderbolt Display between the two?

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Holy gimped. WTF is with Apple dumbing down their tech? Doesn't everyone use^H^H^Hneed a 3x3 Matrix-esque monitor array?

And I'm serious! This seems like devolution.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Folks, you do know that there is daisy chaining of thunderbolt displays?

You can't daisy chain Mini DisplayPort display either, so what's new?

If I currently use a MiniDP display, I can't go out and just buy an Apple Thunderbolt Display and then have two external displays. I'm forced into buying two new Thunderbolt displays if I want dual externals...that's an extra $999 that a lot of people aren't interested in spending.

What is a "Late 2011" iMac?

Isn't the current gen iMac "Mid 2011"?

Perhaps there is a revision coming soon...?

Hold up, Late 2011 iMac? Did I miss something?

The Late 2011 iMac was launched last month for educational institutions only.

addictedtoapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
Hold up, Late 2011 iMac? Did I miss something?

I was going to ask the same thing (took me a while as I had to create an account, been a long time lurker and decided to finally register).

If so this is perfect timing as I am looking to get one in early Jan.

Did apple just let something slip???

also, I thought thunderbold supplied both audio and video in the same connection, why does the picture show two cords plugging into the MBP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.